Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer City Bypass

Options
  • 02-12-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭

Just saw the following on galwaynews.ie

What do ye think?

GO AHEAD FOR PART OF CONTROVERSIAL CITY BYPASS

Tue 2nd December 2008 The controversial Galway city outer bypass has been given the go ahead, but only for part of the proposed route.
    An Bord Pleanala has approved part of the development between the junction of Garraun and Gortatleva, and refused part of the development west of the N59 between the junction of Gortatleva and An Baile Nua.
    In the 14 page report, issued by the planning board to Galway Bay fm news this morning, the main reason given for refusal to grant part of the Bypass is that it would cut through Tonabrocky Bog.
    The board say that the bog is part of the Moycullen Bogs Natural heritage area, and is also the site of a legally protected and vulnerable species.
    Speaking on the Keith Finnegan show, Senior Engineer in the Galway national road design office, Jack Eising says that the partial refusal means they must look for alternative arrangements.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

When I read the title I thought the workman had been drinking the local water. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They should just dig a big tunnel under the Corrib like the Port Tunnel :D That's a lovely piece of Galway up around Menlo/Dangan/Glenlo ... It's just far enough out of the city that you're feeling you're in the country, yet is only at the tip of hte city. A big fcukoff bridge over the river is going to ruin the place up there imho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JohnCleary wrote: »
    They should just dig a big tunnel under the Corrib like the Port Tunnel :D That's a lovely piece of Galway up around Menlo/Dangan/Glenlo ... It's just far enough out of the city that you're feeling you're in the country, yet is only at the tip of hte city. A big fcukoff bridge over the river is going to ruin the place up there imho :(
    Think they're doing that for the southern ring road in Limerick - a 900 metre tunnel under the Shannon, rather than a bridge over it.

KevR wrote: »
    Think they're doing that for the southern ring road in Limerick - a 900 metre tunnel under the Shannon, rather than a bridge over it.

Yup, 'tis exactly what they're doing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

We can get the Franciscan monks to do some of the digging, they should have the experience.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    We can get the Franciscan monks to do some of the digging, they should have the experience.

They're familar with the soil in that region too :D

Or maybe we can get the lads who dug the Cong canal to give it a go? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

They're familar with the soil in that region too :D

Or maybe we can get the lads who dug the Cong canal to give it a go? :eek:

Well with the way the economy is going another Famine Relief Project like the Cong Canal mightn't be a bad idea. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I'd love a big shiny suspension bridge to go in there.

Man v's Nature : the war rages on

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Done properly a bridge could look spectacular imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There is no shortage of bogs between Bearna and Clifden. I enjoy that landscape as much as anyone, but is it asking too much to sacrifice a small patch of bogland to provide proper access for people in West County Galway and Connemara to the rest of the world?

I understand it was a difficult decision. That bogland is beautiful. But it is not unique. People's livelihoods come first.

• Advertisement

+1 for a big bridge.

The single tower cable stay suspension bridge over the Suir on the new Waterford bypass looks impressive from the pictures I've seen.

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055370387

The tower was up the last time I was down there pg (last summer) looks awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bass Cadet wrote: »

I saw a plan for the Bridge, it is indeed spectacular.:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yeah, but I'd much rather be driving up the river in my boat and have a beautiful view uninterrupted by a "spectacular" lump of metal and concrete, not to mention being able to drop anchor and have a cast for a fish in peace and quiet without the roar of trucks and cars thundering overhead.

+1 for the tunnel!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

40% of it was stopped by bogs
    100% of it had already been cut back by Noel Dempsey and Frank Fahey !

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Zzippy wrote: »

+1 for the tunnel!

:D:D hahaha good one. Where exactly would you propose this 'tunnel' goes? Through a bog?? If people thought building a by pass with a bridge was expensive, a design with a tunnel would never even get off the drawing board

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It's crazy that through all our boom years they couldn't manage to provide the money to get the bypass built, now there's now money for it and even if there was 40% of it doesn't have planning permission.

I don't even like to think about the amount of taxpayers' money that was squandered during the good times by the people running the country - it's really not worth thinking about.

galwayrush wrote: »
    I saw a plan for the Bridge, it is indeed spectacular.:cool:

Is it online gr?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    40% of it was stopped by bogs
    100% of it had already been cut back by Noel Dempsey and Frank Fahey !

Didn't stop the bold Frank coming out and criticising the decision to refuse permission. Saved him the embarrassment of having to say sorry, we don't have the money for it now, but he still issues a press release to make it look like he's furious about it...
    Oh, and I love the way these politicians think we can just ignore EU legislation on habitat protection if we really need a road...
    :D:D hahaha good one. Where exactly would you propose this 'tunnel' goes? Through a bog?? If people thought building a by pass with a bridge was expensive, a design with a tunnel would never even get off the drawing board

Seeing as its not going ahead anyway I'm going to stick by my harebrained pie-in-the-sky idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

The eastern half of the bypass has been given full permission INCLUDING the Menlo section and the bridge over the Corrib. The approved road ends at the Moycullen road. I predict that construction will get underway on this stretch whilst the western half with minor modifications goes in for planning under the new "strategic infrastructure" rules meaning that it will be fast-tracked and that appeals will be limited. The outer bypass will happen - everyone except the looney fringe of the environmentalists knows that Galway will simply die as a viable city without it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that clarification. I had forgotten about the new planning regime.

You're right - Galway will die if this doesn't go ahead in almost the same way that Galway Bay was virtually poisoned while nutjobs frustrated the development of Mutton Island.

So they're building a bridge, with nowhere to connect it to on the West? Kinda reminds me of the Simpsons when the meteor is hitting Springfield. Frink's rocket mis-judges and blows up the only bridge out of Springfield, then desperate families in cars try to ramp over the bridge only to land in the river - Is this what we're gonna see at Menlo in a few years? :D

My understanding is that it's approved as far as Gortatleva. From there it's only a hop skip and a jump to the Western Distributor Road.

In the absence of any new plan, it seems that hoppping skipping and jumping will be the only option to get from the end of the DC to the Distributor Road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Is it online gr?

I did a search and found this vague images of it. It's not very detailed.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/2166-new-outer-bypass-gobble-farmland

galwayrush wrote: »
    I did a search and found this vague images of it. It's not very detailed.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/2166-new-outer-bypass-gobble-farmland

new%20bridge%20corrib.jpg

This is the image taken from the the link above and according to the council website it would have a tower at either end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

churchview wrote: »
    In the absence of any new plan, it seems that hoppping skipping and jumping will be the only option to get from the end of the DC to the Distributor Road :D

A hop skip and a jump up that bog road through Tonabrocky . They could easily widen that so they could.

Alternatively they could straighten out the top bit of the Cappagh Road so it meets the Drum Road west of the school.

They could then sent the northbound/eastbound traffic one way up the Clybaun Road and southbound/westbound one way through Oranswell and Drum onto the Cappagh Road .

Sorted for another 20 years so , has anyone seen Frank Fahey about it ?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Yeah there'll be a bit of that going on, bog roads being used as rat runs and the like. However I don't think it'll actually take that long to get the western half through the planning process second time round so hopefully the situation won't be bad for too long.

By the way, as far as I know Dual carriageway is planned for the entire length of the bypass (I could be wrong). Anyone else think that this would be a bit like overkill, particularly further west than where the Cappagh Road junction will be?

Imagine how much traffic this bypass would take out of the city. Don't the loonies realize that it's the only way to free up a bit of roadspace in the city so that a half decent bus service can function thus actually giving people the option of using public transport?? At the moment taking a bus anywhere in Galway is a passport to at least 30mins of misery... Never mind a tram line - sure there's nowhere to put trams other than on roadspace. These people live in a little unrealistic world of their own and should get their heads out of their as**s and stop trying to destroy Galway's one opportunity to start functioning as a proper city should. After all, what "model" european city or town of Galway's scale with lovely trams and lots of people cycling around merrily DOESN'T have a decent ring road / bypass system in place?

BTH wrote: »
    Yeah there'll be a bit of that going on, bog roads being used as rat runs and the like. However I don't think it'll actually take that long to get the western half through the planning process second time round so hopefully the situation won't be bad for too long.

By the way, as far as I know Dual carriageway is planned for the entire length of the bypass (I could be wrong). Anyone else think that this would be a bit like overkill, particularly further west than where the Cappagh Road junction will be?

Imagine how much traffic this bypass would take out of the city. Don't the loonies realize that it's the only way to free up a bit of roadspace in the city so that a half decent bus service can function thus actually giving people the option of using public transport?? At the moment taking a bus anywhere in Galway is a passport to at least 30mins of misery... Never mind a tram line - sure there's nowhere to put trams other than on roadspace. These people live in a little unrealistic world of their own and should get their heads out of their as**s and stop trying to destroy Galway's one opportunity to start functioning as a proper city should. After all, what "model" european city or town of Galway's scale with lovely trams and lots of people cycling around merrily DOESN'T have a decent ring road / bypass system in place?

You know, you have a point that we need a ring road, but calling people "loonies" because they object on valid environmental grounds is BS. You'll start to sound like Frank Fahey or Michael Crowe - "if you don't do what we say you must be a loony" :rolleyes:
    The Tonabrocky bog is a protected habitat, there is European legislation that says we can't just destroy these habitats in the name of progress, we have a National Parks and Wildlife Service that are charged with protecting these habitats, I could go on. I suppose everyone who works for NPWS is a loony? (Actually there are a few, but thats not my point... :) )

The point is, these habitats are protected. Disregarding EU legislation leads to the EU Commission finding against Ireland and levying large fines (millions per day in some cases).
    Planners are supposed to make themselves aware of this and plan around it. Its no surprise the road was turned down if they couldn't do their job properly and plan the route with least interference to a protected habitat.

Edit: Just realised my sig makes me a "loony" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Agree with Zzippy that its well out of order criticising and calling people loonies because they are acting within european law and attempting to protect what makes Galway county etc a place that people want to visit (and bring in millions in tourist euros)

All I can say is that you have a great zeal for this bypass, yet still have the Irish planners attitude of well we need a road but hey lets just look at traffic now, why do we need more than one lane, am sure there won't be any more cars or any more developments on the bypass in 5 or 10 years time. Its shortsighted planning that has got Galway and the Irish road infrastructure in such a mess

Which brings me to my biggest hesitation over the bypass in that for whose benefit is it for? The people of Galway? or the people who own the land around the bypass which will no doubt be rezoned residential or commercial!! Now I wonder who may have interests in these areas??? Over to you Mr Fahey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

. Don't the loonies realize that it's the only way to free up a bit of roadspace in the city so that a half decent bus service can function thus actually giving people the option of using public transport?? At the moment taking a bus anywhere in Galway is a passport to at least 30mins of misery... These people live in a little unrealistic world of their own and should get their heads out of their as**s and stop trying to destroy Galway's one opportunity to start functioning as a proper city should. After all, what "model" european city or town of Galway's scale with lovely trams and lots of people cycling around merrily DOESN'T have a decent ring road / bypass system in place?

Oops meant to say as well that I think you are putting the cart before the horse regarding a bus service. Anything better than the joke bus service needs to be in place now and not after a road is in place.

With peoples attitude in galway and assuming you are correct in that the bypass takes cars off the road then peoples attitude will be 'why do I need to get a bus there arent any cars on the road' which will clog up the roads and we will be back to square one.

A frequent bus service is needed NOW from Barna through to Oranmore, that serves places of employment and the city centre. You need this in place which will take cars off the road and increase the punctuality and speed of the service. Then you can have your bypass to further alleviate traffic, making public transport an even more attractive option and you will already have people who have changed their attitude from the 'car is king'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement