Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Options
  • 04-02-2014 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭

Said I'd start a new thread as the last one has a lot of old info at this stage with the new season only just over a month away.

I'll start with the website www.limerickfc.ie, it won an award for best League Of Ireland website and is full of interviews and information. There has been loads of audio interviews put up along with video interviews on the new youtube channel of Limerick FC TV. The club is also using a lot of social networking like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.

The Official Supporters club 2014 is open to members new and old for the season ahead and costs just €10 for an adult for the year.

Games will once again be played in Thomond Park this season with a range of season ticket options available.

The 2014 Squad as it stands has plenty of local representation and a lot of younger lads who are finding their feet at a higher level.

Squad List:

GK
    Barry Ryan (Clare)
    Shane Cusack (Clare)

Def
    Shaun Kelly (Donegal)
    Stephen Folan (Galway)
    Sam Oji (London)
    Michael Leahy (Dublin)
    Tony Whitehead (Cork)
    Robbie Williams (Pontefract)
    Shane Costello (Limerick)
    Colm Murphy (Kerry)

Mid
    Patrick Nzuzi (Lubumbashi, DR Congo)
    Shane Duggan (Limerick)
    Darragh Rainsford (Limerick)
    Danny Galbraith (Galashiels)
    Val Feeney (Roscrea)
    Jason Hughes (Limerick)
    Shane Tracy (Limerick)

FW
    Craig Curran (Liverpool)
    Barry Sheedy (Limerick)
    Rory Gaffney (Galway)

First Game of The Season

Friday March 7th:
    Limerick FC vs Bray Wanderers, 7:45pm, Thomond Park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Great to see that the vast majority of the 2013 squad is still in place, plus a handful of new additions.

I'd be hopeful of a top half finish, don't see a dramatic improvement from last year but 5th or 6th would be further progress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

a higher place finish than last year is definatly required, if progress is to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Can't see us finishing higher than last season. Our budget is considerably smaller than last year and we have seen 8 players leave with only two new faces in. We will be blooding a lot of the younger lads so will have to be patient with them. I'd expect Pats, Sligo, Rovers, Derry, Dundalk and Cork to all finish ahead of us. Bohs, Drogheda and Athlone look like they will be decent sides also so we wil probably be in that pool of teams. If we can stay injury free and solid at the back then we may push up by 1 place. I'd be ecstatic if we could get a cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I don't think we'll make any real headway this year if I'm honest. Think the squad looks a bit thinner than last years as it stands. That said I'm more than happy for us to take our time and not engage in the sort of spendthrift dash for success that has ruined so many clubs before. This notion that we have to markedly improve year on year or everything is a complete disaster is completely ridiculous.

Our first XI is still decent and the defence looks like it could be more solid than it was for much of last year but we're still light up top and I think midfield (as it stands) looks quite mediocre with Gamble and Bradley gone and O'Leary and McGann in no man's land at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Thinner, maybe, and I would have liked to see a couple more additions- definitely another one in midfield.

But you have to say our defence looks a lot stronger on paper than last season, we finished the season a lot better due to Oji's presence. And having Folan & Leahy there too will really help.

Also having Gaffney from the start of the season, the most natural goalscorer in the squad. If we get injuries, we could be in trouble, particularly in attack... no real pacy option to replace Axel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

I don't think we'll make any real headway this year if I'm honest. Think the squad looks a bit thinner than last years as it stands. That said I'm more than happy for us to take our time and not engage in the sort of spendthrift dash for success that has ruined so many clubs before. This notion that we have to markedly improve year on year or everything is a complete disaster is completely ridiculous.

Our first XI is still decent and the defence looks like it could be more solid than it was for much of last year but we're still light up top and I think midfield (as it stands) looks quite mediocre with Gamble and Bradley gone and O'Leary and McGann in no man's land at the moment.

Were they anything other then mediocre last season? Same for O'Leary second half of the season actually.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    But you have to say our defence looks a lot stronger on paper than last season, we finished the season a lot better due to Oji's presence. And having Folan & Leahy there too will really help.

Having an option to keep Folan out of the first team is a good sign. A Kelly-Leahy-Oji-Williams back four looks solid.
    TheBeast17 wrote: »
    Were they anything other then mediocre last season? Same for O'Leary second half of the season actually.

Gamble, as always, was unappreciated and did huge amounts of intelligent, important work when we didn't have the ball. I always felt some people expected, because of his reputation, a more complete player than he ever was. The midfield tended to look brittle every time he was out. In theory Nzuzi should be well able to do that running around but he's fairly headless at the best of times.

Bradley was very inconsistent last season and isn't, IMO, a huge loss but he still did more with the ball when he bothered to look for it than most of the others.

O'Leary is somewhat over-rated anyway I think. He's technically very good but he has a habit of going missing and hiding in the centre circle when things get tough and, at times, he seems eager to get rid of the ball too fast rather than risk getting tackled.

A Tracy-Nzuzi-Duggan trio in the centre of midfield isn't overly impressive. You could substitute Jay Hughes for Tracy I suppose but it's more of the same. A reasonably handy, fairly innocuous player who won't make many teams nervous.

We're not far off having as good a squad as last season (another option in the centre of midfield and another up front and I'd be happy) and I'm not unhappy with where the club is at all. I just don't necessarily see us performing any better than last year.

With eight out and two in (if Jofspring's figures are still up to the minute as I don't doubt) the squad is quite a bit smaller. That's not a disaster in and of itself but it is a legitimate worry.

Thought Gamble was decent and an experienced head. Bradley actually improved towards the end of the season but when you take it over the two years he was with us it didn't really work out. O'Leary went off the boil a bit but would still be a big loss.

I'm not for a second having a go at Gamble I have backed him and his role in the team up quite a lot. And yes he was ok last season but only ok while he was the main man to get the ball back he was quite poor on it at times and he didn't cover the big pitch in Thomond well.. Our midfield last season was mediocre and our midfield this season will be the same but i don't think the loss of Gamble and Bradley takes the standard of the midfield down at all. I think Nzuzi will be able to cover Gambles position and I think Duggan will be a lot better for us then Bradley was tbh.

I think Tracy-Nzuzi-Duggan midfield trio while not as impressive reputation wise will actually get more done than one with Gamble and Bradley in it. Bradley was good near the end of the season but that was far too late for the majority of the time when he played he had very little or no impact at all on games. I could be very wrong I just think the energy of Duggan and Nzuzi will work better with the size of the pitch in Thomond.

I have to say I don't agree that O'Leary will be a big loss. While I think he is a good player I have never rated him as highly as some others seem to.

Trialist playing in the game tomorrow against Galway supposedly a striker that one of the lads training with the team has described to me as "an absolute beast".

Going to head up to Galway alright, looking forward to seeing the trialist. I'd be happy enough if we brought in one more striker. Would love another midfielder but if the budget is tight then I'd take the striker.

• Advertisement

How many of the 8 that left played enough that it makes a difference they are gone? Isn't it only really Calla, Gamble,Bradley and Axel that had any real involvement?

How many games did Judge,Purcell,Tiofack and Walsh play all put together even?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Jofspring wrote: »
    Said I'd start a new thread as the last one has a lot of old info at this stage with the new season only just over a month away.

I'll start with the website www.limerickfc.ie, it won an award for best League Of Ireland website and is full of interviews and information. There has been loads of audio interviews put up along with video interviews on the new youtube channel of Limerick FC TV. The club is also using a lot of social networking like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.

The Official Supporters club 2014 is open to members new and old for the season ahead and costs just €10 for an adult for the year.

Games will once again be played in Thomond Park this season with a range of season ticket options available.

The 2014 Squad as it stands has plenty of local representation and a lot of younger lads who are finding their feet at a higher level.

Squad List:

GK
    Barry Ryan (Clare)
    Shane Cusack (Clare)

Def
    Shaun Kelly (Donegal)
    Stephen Folan (Galway)
    Sam Oji (London)
    Michael Leahy (Dublin)
    Tony Whitehead (Cork)
    Robbie Williams (Pontefract)
    Shane Costello (Limerick)
    Colm Murphy (Limerick )

First Game of The Season

Friday March 7th:
    Limerick FC vs Bray Wanderers, 7:45pm, Thomond Park.

Young Murphy is actually from Kerry lads.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Young Murphy is actually from Kerry lads.

O ya Castleisland, forgot that. Cheers.

Gamble was decent, but you do get the feeling that he thought he was a lot better than he was... maybe not so much last season, but in the first division, he was always trying hollywood balls that he just wasn't capable of doing. On his day, he was an excellent, all-action midfielder but he had an infuriating lack of discipline and sometimes it just seemed like he couldn't be bothered and picked up silly yellow cards.

As for Bradley... he may have finished well, but on the whole, was a poor signing. And I imagine his wages would have been a lot higher than most of the others. I'd certainly expect Duggan to do better.

And I like Nzuzi in midfield, he's another who improved as the season went on. Has pace, energy, can tackle and dribble... and is versatile. Bit headless sometimes but he's young and will improve imo. O'Leary/Duggan/Nzuzi is a midfield trio I can definitely get behind.

Would like to see Tracy at left-back but I imagine Williams has that spot nailed down... which probably means Shane will be played in the middle. He's okay in the middle but the game passes him by too much.

Galway 0-1 Limerick Shane Tracy with the goal.

Very young side out from us and decent if not great performance from us. Duggan looks like he will be excellent for us and looking forward to seeing himself, Curran and Gaffney playing together.

That trialist won't be signing anyway and I'll say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

ha ha

Do we assume the trialist was limited in his ability

Iang87 wrote: »
    ha ha

Yes it would be very safe to assume that.

Galway 0-1 Limerick Shane Tracy with the goal.

Very young side out from us and decent if not great performance from us. Duggan looks like he will be excellent for us and looking forward to seeing himself, Curran and Gaffney playing together.

That trialist won't be signing anyway and I'll say no more.

Only other thing I could add based on lastnight is I really hope Barry Ryan isn't out for long at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Iang87 wrote: »
    ha ha

Putting it lightly from what I've been told.

I would like to see the trialist again. He didn't show much the other night but the midfield behind him didn't offer much either. The full backs were more offensive than we're used to, will be interested to see if that becomes a regular thing.

• Advertisement

I would like to see the trialist again. He didn't show much the other night but the midfield behind him didn't offer much either. The full backs were more offensive than we're used to, will be interested to see if that becomes a regular thing.

I actually said it at one stage to one of the lads next to me the two full backs were miles up the pitch.

Just on a positive note it was great to see Shane Tracy looking fit after his injury and surgery.

I thought Duggan played some good balls in to feet to him and he failed to either control or do anything with most. For a big lad he was poor in the air too.

Anyone heading to Ringmahon tomorrow?

I thought Duggan played some good balls in to feet to him and he failed to either control or do anything with most. For a big lad he was poor in the air too.

I wouldn't wholly disgree, just reluctant to dismiss any player on one game (especially in pre-season and his first with this group of players). For me Oji was the only one who played "well" but I wouldn't sweat it, that's what pre-season is for.

Also, I am going to Ringmahon.

I wonder will this game be on tomorrow. Really don't want to drive down for nowthing.

Now that I think of it I'd agree on Ebanks, Axel was terrible first one or two friendlies last season and turned out to be ok during the season.

Pitch inspection in Ringmahon tomorrow at 8.15am.

Shane Duggan named captain for the 2014 season with Craig Curran as vice captain.

Anybody heard anymore on this? Nothing on either club's website.

Anybody heard anymore on this? Nothing on either club's website.

After pitch inspection it has been ruled playable so game on.

Shane Duggan named captain for the 2014 season with Craig Curran as vice captain.

Interesting enough that a completely new player is given the captaincy. Not completely unheard of, but still.

• Advertisement

Ya strange enough alright but a young limerick man all the same so good to see. I think himself and Curran are just being given a boost by handing them those roles.

Munster Senior Cup:
    Ringmahon 2-4 Limerick with not long to go.

Advertisement