Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sucklers: are we all feeding at this stage ?!

• 08-12-2018 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Mine were looking sorry I gave them 5kg of nuts/meal a head today , they on good mountain , I find if I put out a bale they don’t venture from the ring feeder!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mine are coming in tomorrow, moved them into the last paddock on the outfarm this evening, great to have been able to have them out this late.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

The last of mine came in on the last day of November. They were just getting washed out of it. Had planned on keeping the invalid heifers out till Christmas but they started misbehaving so there in aswell. Well into the winter regime now. I didn't miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

All in since the 1 Dec they were on rape but the rain got the better of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Put mine in today, the main reason was I only see them by night for the last month or more.

We all hope to get them out early.
    The defiantly will be getting no ration the fat feckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Im happy if they get all of october out. And they dont see may day with a bale of silage in front of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

In fromthe middle of November counted ourselves lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Ev thing in since Dec 1 st ( On Silage only , no nuts for cows )
    Wean lings & Heifers getting few pounds nuts & as lib silage .
    Bull is out with few nuts as the six month winter last year on concrete crippled him. Am finding its time consuming having the diff lots , with diff feed amounts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ripping throught the silage here. Should have enough, but I thought I would have loads. No feeding in second is cut especially when so late in the year. Still better than having to source it.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

All in since this weekend, was becoming a pain in the arse to check on them each night seeing as there is a few due to come bulling over the next week or so, easier to have them inside and monitor them there

Ripping throught the silage here. Should have enough, but I thought I would have loads. No feeding in second is cut especially when so late in the year. Still better than having to source it.

Did a fodder budget last week and we should have roughly enough to get through until the end of March but it will be tight enough. Cows with calves getting nuts heifer weanlings getting nuts once a day, bull weanlings and forward heifers getting nuts twice a day.
    Did some more sums and have one pen of bulls that should finish for May, another pen for July and likely will squeeze a third pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

What pre calving minerals / licks are ye giving sucklers this winter?

Didn’t start yet just the last of licks will get going in 10 days I’ll check the make

Just in from a farming meeting. Here’s a few questions;
    What age do you wean?
    How long are cows inside?
    What age do you finish at?
    What weight do you like your cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I gave mine 180ml of cobalt drench and allsure boluses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What age do you wean?
    That’ll depend on spring and autumn calvers for me
    Autumn, I’ll try and wean them a week or so before I let the weanlings out. I’ll give them a grain of meal that week. So probably 6-7months
    Spring, I’ll go by the eye, but usually 5-6 months
    How long are cows inside?
    5 months on a good year, up to 6

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Wean around 9 months old, maybe a week or 2 longer depending on cow condition. 1st calvers around 8 months so that they can recover sufficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Mine got a round bale of hay yesterday ! Much earlier than other years but damaged a part on the quad so transporting meal became an issue for a few days , I don’t mind as can push them further out again with meal once quad up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Wean at 9/10 months here. No point in weaning a cow early and then trying to starve her to knock condition off. Rather have her working for most of the year if at all possible

Advertisement