Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sore bum

Options
  • 20-03-2005 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I used to cycle about 50-100 miles a week and had no problems with this. I don't cycle as much these days (damn car :mad: ) but the last two times I went for a long cycle, the saddle really gets to me where I sit and also at my legs where they touch off the saddle. Now I may have put on a bit of weight, but not that much. I also don't have proper cycling shorts (do these make a difference?), I usually cycle with jeans on. I have a nice gel saddle and I even have suspension on my saddle. The saddle is raised to suit my height. Id love pain free cycling, any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the shorts, the shorts, the shorts.

I'm tempted to leave it at that, but I've a feeling it's over simplifying. How far are you cycling nowadays for the pain to occur? and for how long at a time?

your arse adapts to the saddle, but it takes a few spins to do so. If you're cycling for leisure get the shorts, if you're cycling to get somewhere 20 mins away stick with the jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well I'm just thinking when I cycled from Bray to Dublin city and back again, say 20 miles or so..

Do shorts really make a difference???? How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭redsupper

If you dont want to wear shorts you don't have to

they're padded and fitted. Which means more cushioning, less friction, and the sweat is wicked away.

Of course, you then have to get over how they look. :confused:

I think they look ok sometimes, I don't know why but couriers zooming around the city always seem to have good looking shorts!? I'll have a look out for some anyway:) Hopefully that will solve the problem!

• Advertisement

it's a big part of the solution, but your bum just had to get used to the saddle again. Which means taking the pain for 2 or 3 spins and then it should get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Cormie if you're not into the cycling shorts look you could try something like these maybe

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=20292

Seven Worlds will Collide

Thanks for all the help!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There's a bunch of nice baggy shorts on chainreactioncycles.com

These shorts have the standard cycling short as an inner liner, then the outside is a more traditional short. It's what I'll be getting when I get paid next ! I think I'll avoid the less than complimentary standard shorts.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kaboogie

:)The main reason for a sore bum after a 50 mile cycle is not wearing the proper cycling shorts. :p Also check that your saddle is not too high.
    The shammy inside the shorts absorbs most of the sweat, which will prevent IRE...... Ouch! . :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement