Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A common misconception

Options
  • 16-02-2019 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

In the past Ireland was conservative and economically backward. Other countries in Europe were much more liberal and prosperous. Consequently, we in Ireland assumed that liberalism was the reason for success in those other countries. As recent referendums have shown, a lot of Irish people have now aped this liberalism of those other countries in the hope that it will improve life in Ireland. Consequently, Irish people are set for a lot of disappointment.

The success of other countries is not because they are liberal but because of their lingering puitanical values. One does not have to be Protestant to be puritanical but it does require one to work hard, and to be frugal and austere. In other words, flaunting wealth is out even when you are very wealthy. These are the values that made other countries wealthy, their wealth was in spite of their liberalism and not because of it. Things like philanthropy and conservative values are also an important part of the puritanical way.

The reason a lot of those foreign countries were liberal was because they were rejecting the strict moral values of the past and this gave the impression to the Irish that liberalism was the cause of their success.

Did the excesses of the celtic tiger era make Ireland successful? Of course not. Had Ireland worked hard but been frugal and austere, the outcome would have been more to our favour. Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

One of the most common misconceptions is that this forum is supposed to be social and fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Now its altright and scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its a common misconception that anyone takes realitykeeper seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

. Am I wrong?

I'm sorry to break this to you but, Yes absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I think the best thing is to be yourself, liberals and alt right are just following the herd.

I have my own ideas and I don't follow liberals and their bull****, they're fairly messed up and insecure.
    As for the alt right they just take the piss out of the liberals and their bull****.

I enjoy watching them trash it out.

It's great entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In the past was conservative and economically backward. Other countries in Europe were much more liberal and prosperous. Consequently, we in assumed that liberalism was the reason for success in those other countries. As recent referendums have shown, a lot of people have now aped this liberalism of those other countries in the hope that it will improve life in . Consequently, people are set for a lot of disappointment.

The success of other countries is not because they are liberal but because of their lingering puitanical values. One does not have to be Protestant to be puritanical but it does require one to work hard, and to be frugal and austere. In other words, flaunting wealth is out even when you are very wealthy. These are the values that made other countries wealthy, their wealth was in spite of their liberalism and not because of it. Things like philanthropy and conservative values are also an important part of the puritanical way.

The reason a lot of those foreign countries were liberal was because they were rejecting the strict moral values of the past and this gave the impression to the that liberalism was the cause of their success.

Did the excesses of the celtic tiger era make successful? Of course not. Had worked hard but been frugal and austere, the outcome would have been more to our favour. Am I wrong?

Regularly and often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The boom is definitely back if people can take Sociology degrees.

Your Face wrote: »

Lol nooooooo

Nooooooo

Your Face wrote: »

A breeding place for sjw's and liberals....

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I would think that liberalism and Puritanism as explanations for a country's wealth is rather a weak hypothesis. I think it would have much more to do with Industrial revolution type economics, ( coal, oil, manufacturing, etc), Britain being the obvious exemplar. Since the Industrial revolution completely bypassed Ireland, hence our relative impoverishment and backwardness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

You are right in that Ireland has a confidence problem, as do most Irish people.

We tend to denigrate ourselves in front of those we find superior (most everyone), and therefore mimic that which we feel others will approve. We still have an awful lackey approach.

That leads us to being always behind the times.

While Europe is descending into chaos already, we're belting along to play catch up by copying the same disastrous moves.

Philosophically, economically, and everything in-between, we have little in the way of strong leadership and practically zero vision.

That's why we crash harder, and (fake) boom harder. Scratch beneath the paddy whackery and there's little substance beneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It never occurred to me that Irish people voted for gay marriage or abortion because they thought it would contribute to wealth or prosperity.

I can’t help thinking you started with the conclusion that liberalism is bad and then came up with an argument to justify it.

I would think that liberalism and Puritanism as explanations for a country's wealth is rather a weak hypothesis. I think it would have much more to do with Industrial revolution type economics, ( coal, oil, manufacturing, etc), Britain being the obvious exemplar. Since the Industrial revolution completely bypassed Ireland, hence our relative impoverishment and backwardness.

Some are backwards, but I think if one has a bit of sense and sensibility they're ok.

Fool's and their money are easily parted.

Fly with the crow's and you'll get shot and all that.

If you take it at its most basic meaning, liberalism and conservatism are directly tied to wealth/poverty.

One splashes out without a care in the world, the other keeps the purse strings pulled tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

beejee wrote: »
    You are right in that Ireland has a confidence problem, as do most Irish people.

We tend to denigrate ourselves in front of those we find superior (most everyone), and therefore mimic that which we feel others will approve. We still have an awful lackey approach.

That leads us to being always behind the times.

While Europe is descending into chaos already, we're belting along to play catch up by copying the same disastrous moves.

Philosophically, economically, and everything in-between, we have little in the way of strong leadership and practically zero vision.

That's why we crash harder, and (fake) boom harder. Scratch beneath the paddy whackery and there's little substance beneath.

You have a fierce inferiority complex. Man up.

It never occurred to me that Irish people voted for gay marriage or abortion because they thought it would contribute to wealth or prosperity.

I can’t help thinking you started with the conclusion that liberalism is bad and then came up with an argument to justify it.

What's your definition of being liberal ?

New age Liberals today are very nasty and sad really.
    Looking at them debating on YouTube is like soap for sore eye's.

If someone is homophobic racist or religious, why do liberals metaphorically burn them at the stake ?

Isn't being liberal letting people be themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    I think the best thing is to be yourself, liberals and alt right are just following the herd.

I have my own ideas and I don't follow liberals and their bull****, they're fairly messed up and insecure.
    As for the alt right they just take the piss out of the liberals and their bull****.

I enjoy watching them trash it out.

It's great entertainment.

Who would be a typical alt right?

To me, right wingism is not the redneck brigade who join unions and blame immigrants for everything. Nor is it a business owner who thinks we need immigrants to push down labour costs.

To me, being right wing is to be in favour of low pay for everyone from the top down. It is about working hard, living well within our means and not borrowing.

No joking, I reckon those votes/elections came about because of the American Internet and American television. That is to say, not reality of America, but the reality television of America.

We lap up the Americans here, and bend over backwards to please them. Ironically, those same issues are still ongoing in America.

Lack of character leads to an aping "personality". How often do you hear fake English accents? Fake Australian accents?

Compare that to fake American accents you hear all over the shop. A real confidence problem.

You have a fierce inferiority complex. Man up.

I laugh at that guff, but it's rife in this country, everywhere. No such problems here, I'm grand. Hence being able to say it in the first place.

No joking, I reckon those votes/elections came about because of the American Internet and American television. That is to say, not reality of America, but the reality television of America.

We lap up the Americans here, and bend over backwards to please them. Ironically, those same issues are still ongoing in America.

Lack of character leads to an aping "personality". How often do you hear fake English accents? Fake Australian accents?

Compare that to fake American accents you hear all over the shop. A real confidence problem.

The American accent came over from Ireland. They are aping us.

• Advertisement

To me, right wingism is not the redneck brigade who join unions and blame immigrants for everything. Nor is it a business owner who thinks we need immigrants to push down labour costs.

To me, being right wing is to be in favour of low pay for everyone from the top down. It is about working hard, living well within our means and not borrowing.

I think the alt right are as extreme as the far left.

The far left want to get paid for nothing, and the alt right are opposed to the far left idealogy.

I work with both and they are always clashing with each other.

Left very sensitive and triggered by the right.

Both are very narcisstic in their tones.

The one's in the middle just work away and don't look for attention or try to sway anyone to go against the grain.

The American accent came over from Ireland. They are aping us.

A swathe of Irish people must spontaneously create new accents. A girl from kerry I know suddenly had an American accent after a year or two in Dublin.

How does that happen? Strength of personality? I doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The industrial revolution was partly a consequence of hard work and frugality. The work houses were a frugal alternative to the welfare state so Britain prospered back then.

Coal, oil etc would not have made Britain wealthy without puritanical hard work and frugality. Just look at Venezuela. Resources can be a curse in the wrong hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Ireland now seems to be a country lost. We don know what we want or where we’re going as a society and have lost a considerable amount of our past. It saddens me to see what Ireland has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Didn't the OECD just publish a report where Ireland is the most productive country in Europe.

Ireland now seems to be a country lost. We don know what we want or where we’re going as a society and have lost a considerable amount of our past. It saddens me to see what Ireland has become.

That's what happens when you follow the crowd, you'll inevitably be left standing on your own without a clue what to do.

It's a national personality problem. We don't have one outside of paddys day anymore and even that's a "global" celebration. We've lost that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I think you are on your own with the idea that low pay is a solution to anything. Right wingers might say that wages are sometimes artificially high because of government or labour union interference with their beloved market but nobody really supports low pay.

That's what happens when you follow the crowd, you'll inevitably be left standing on your own without a clue what to do.

It's a national personality problem. We don't have one outside of paddys day anymore and even that's a "global" celebration. We've lost that too.

St Patrick's Day is an American invention. Let them have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What a load of crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The industrial revolution was partly a consequence of hard work and frugality. The work houses were a frugal alternative to the welfare state so Britain prospered back then.

Coal, oil etc would not have made Britain wealthy without puritanical hard work and frugality. Just look at Venezuela. Resources can be a curse in the wrong hands.

It wasn’t very frugal for the rich in the 19C. Gave you seen their houses?

You should set up a revive the workhouse party and see how you get on. No point just posting here.

Advertisement