Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I'm suing my parents for giving birth to me'

Options
  • 07-02-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

My first topic in AH be gentle please:)

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/im-suing-my-parents-for-giving-birth-to-me/ar-BBThoM6?li=BBr5KbJ

So this guy is basically suing his parents, for having him, without his consent (THE word of the last few yeas, eh).

Mr Samuel, of course, understands that our consent can't be sought before we are born, but insists that "it was not our decision to be born".

So as we didn't ask to be born, we should be paid for the rest of our lives to live, he argues.

Mr Samuel's belief is rooted in what's called anti-natalism - a philosophy that argues that life is so full of misery that people should stop procreating immediately.

I have to say, I do see his point, to a degree. I'm guessing he is doing this more to get a conversation going about this subject, than the money per se.

Before you ask, no I don't have kids. I have thought it is sometimes selfish to have kids, especially if you are not in a position to give them a good start. And, I think the world is overcrowded as it is (of course, China for example needs more kids now, so mayble not all the world, but, still the natural resources are finite.).

What y'all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Hopefully the most he will get is a one way ticket to one of those assisted suicide clinics.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm a little bit embarrassed for him tbh. He sounds like a guy who's parents placed needlessly high bars for him that he never felt like he achieved.

Then he discovered the concept of nihilism and puts the two together and now thinks he's come up with some revolutionary philosophy that nobody has thought of before.

Going by the article, he clearly fancies himself as a form of performance artist, and this is stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I'd say he says "NPC" a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"I'm very happy that my son has grown up into a fearless, independent-thinking young man. He is sure to find his path to happiness."

Quod Erat Demonstrandum. Besides, if he thinks Humanity has no function or point, what about these plants and animals that he want to vacate the earth for? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

He could always opt out

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the **** you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life . . . But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

• Advertisement

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Hopefully the most he will get is a one way ticket to one of those assisted suicide clinics.

Harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

"Mum said she wished she had met me before I was born and that if she did, she definitely wouldn't have had me,"

Says it all readlly, even his mum thinks he's an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

he is thankless,
    I would be sorry for having him and wasting years on him, toss him out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

He reminds me of an angry teenager, "I didn't ask to be born!!! "

How does one get consent from an infant anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

davo2001 wrote: »
    Says it all readlly, even his mum thinks he's an arsehole.
    Arseholes raise arseholes.

I'd say his parents are a pair of stuck-up boringtons who've never said anything supportive to him.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »

That's too late, you'd have to get consent before he's born, possibly before he's even conceived - it's like some peculiar, backwards version of these abortion arguments. :pac:

seamus wrote: »
    Arseholes raise arseholes.

I'd say his parents are a pair of stuck-up boringtons who've never said anything supportive to him.

My father would have said "If you've an ass, what'll you have only an ass-foal"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

jimgoose wrote: »
    That's too late, you'd have to get consent before he's born, possibly before he's even conceived - it's like some peculiar, backwards version of these abortion arguments. :pac:

Valid argument in fairness . I feel for the guy . Everyone has a case against their parents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

So what do you do now? Record yourself talking to your testicles and saying "We are trying for a baby. If you don't want to be born, please stay at the back and don't try and win the race".

Actually, does the fact he was the winning sperm not indicate that he wanted to be born?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Assuming they have the one child, the parents should say that he should look back on his own conduct growing up and realise there was a reason they only had one child. Given his thankless attitude they were vindicated in their decision to stop at one and that although they successfully raised their child to become a physically healthy adult they are ashamed that they could not raise a mentally healthy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Parents are evil . They decide who lives and who dies

It’s about time they get what they deserve . This is just the start I assume . A lot more cases will be taken on when he is successful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

I'd say a nice auld slap of a shovel across the back of the head will quieten him

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

jimgoose wrote: »
    Harsh.

Yeah.

An alternative argument is that "he" won the egg and sperm race, beating 39 million other competitors, which shows a clear consent to be born.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

The logical conclusion to his theory leads to 3 options:
    a.) killing everyone on earth
    b.) killing himself
    c.) trying to work on it and not do his bit to push fragile people to suicide
    d.) moan about it and get a lot of publicity for himself and damn the consequences

Sure why not go for d.), because the other ones sound, like, so hard.

Might as well stick this here since we're throwing big words around:
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/mental-health-services/nosp/suicidepreventionie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

The human capacity for stupidity really is infinite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

When someone comes to the realization that, in the grand scheme of things, they are a nobody it can be humiliating and a crushing blow to the ego. By nobody I mean someone with no goals, no learned skills, no nothing beyond simply breathing, eating and sleeping despite their caregivers having done their level best to raise a well-rounded, confident and competent adult. Someone who Sean Connery would call 'a Loosher'.

There are two options. Either they accept it and work towards improvement or look to deny it and by looking to absolve themselves of their contribution to it all by deflection. This guy is an example of the latter. The easier blame shifting option. He is cultivating a message that he didn't ask for any of this after realising at 27, that he is not successful, happy, rich, sexy whatever. the hell he thinks will make him happy. He is a nobody, knows he can't change that and is in-directly validating that attitude by prattling on about consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Doug Stanhope had a joke a few years back about how he wished his parents were still alive so he could sue them for him being born.

I would hope this is swiftly thrown out of court tbh, although these days all sorts of nonsense is given credence.

Failing that, his parents should counter sue under the claim of him being an abject failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Parents don't need their kids consent. Parents ascribe them to religions without consent, consign them to education and make a lot of decisions on their behalf (a lot of which the kid most certainly doesn't agree with).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

The human capacity for stupidity really is infinite.

Tell me about it.

The poster above you can't even count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Thread title, although a direct quote, is incorrect.
    Mr Samuel is now looking for a lawyer to take up his case, but so far he's not had much success

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Attention seeker does something stupid to get attention shocker.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Could we not just give him a free council house and Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

eviltwin wrote: »

Yes, of course, but that is actually true, no?

I seem to be swimming against the tide here, but I think he is just trying to raise the point that kids don't ask to be born:

"I'm not really doing this for publicity," he says, "but I do want the idea to go public. This simple idea that it's okay to not have a child."

I personally am not against people having kids or into anti-natalism, but, listen to any couple and they will say along lines of, we want to start a family, we would like to have kids one day etc

I believe his point is just a counter to that and perhaps couples might instead consider is it right to bring a child into this world, will s/he be happy etc

Not everybody's life is a bed of roses

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not everybody's life is a bed of roses

True, but the obvious responce to that is - why not? Was it his parents fault or HIS fault? And if the former, than why? Surly he should be drawing attention to those problems?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

True, but the obvious responce to that is - why not? Was it his parents fault or HIS fault? And if the former, than why? Surly he should be drawing attention to those problems?

Well, let's take a rare, extreme example. Suppose a potential mother and/or father have some condition (blind, hereditary heart condition etc), doctors advise against conceiving, but, Mary and Sean want a baby to make their lives complete, so poor little Jenny is born to a ****ty life. This does happen, and I personally know of one such case (although much less extream than my example).

Or what about all the poor babies born in famine regions every day? Bad baby!

Advertisement