Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix front gear on MTB

Options
  • 30-12-2018 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi

Just a quick one. My 14 year old boy got a new bike online for xmas ( cube mtb bike 27 gears) and has been out every day ... .with lights and helmetðŸ˜...thing he had a small crash and front gears moved. I was able to adjust so the chain does not make any noise anymore but he won't be able to use the front gears until sorted as it locks everything up if we try

Just wondering if anyone knows a decent mechanic in cork city (used a shop a while back and they charged quite a lot for a service)...so looking for someone who is fair now we are skint after xmas....we may have go wait till next month otherwise..how bad

Any ideas would be great

Regards
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

Maybe post some photos and see if we can work it out so you can fix it yourself. Is the chain now on the chainring that you'd expect given the gear selected at the shifter?
    Or maybe the derailleur has moved in the crash and is too close or far away from the chainrings or at an angle.. do you have another bike to compare it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Thanks Gerry

Good idea about checking another bike..did not think!!
    Will also hang it up on something and do a better mess about

Will double check later today

Regards
    Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Have a look at this video, to understand all of the parameters involved.

It's very well explained, with overlay graphics when required. Enjoy Calvin, he knows his stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNG7g83lI-s

I've used those videos a few times. He explains every thing simply and clearly.

Advertisement