Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen who claimed glass was in Nutella wins €30k

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

and now our reporter onsite, Deckard Shaw will offer his opinion on the case as it unfolds. Over to you Deckard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    and now our reporter onsite, Deckard Shaw will offer his opinion on the case as it unfolds. Over to you Deckard.

I never realised Nutella was so crunchy.

Deckard Shaw
    Boards.ie News
    Dublin

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I never realised Nutella was so crunchy.

Ellis Tart Pensioner
    Boards.ie News
    Dublin

Thanks Deckard, we'll be back to you after the weather for an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭enricoh

Getting groarke as judge is akin to winning the lotto.
    The man makes eye watering awards, insurance companies should invest in a hitman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

What was the injury apart from some stomach pain ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

a 16 yr old with 30k i can envisage some wild parties ahead

do they get these payments in bulk?....or is it a portion at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Deckard Shaw live In the FYI helicopter only on kwrpmn at 6.
    kwrpmn your hourly news station.

enricoh wrote: »
    Getting groarke as judge is akin to winning the lotto.
    The man makes eye watering awards, insurance companies should invest in a hitman!

Des Zaidan should be moved and placed in charge of all civil cases in Dublin. He is a bit like that guy 'Padlock' in Cork.

frosty123 wrote: »

He'll get the lot in one go once he turns 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Who am I meant to be angry at here?

Can I get my complimentary pitchfork on my out?

• Advertisement

Rennaws wrote: »
    What was the injury apart from some stomach pain ?

Mental health problems featured as well possibly, as well as a fear of eating Nutella or any choclate spread in a glass jar again.

I do find it odd, that they gave him €30k based on nothing at all, except the complaint of sporadic stomache aches.

Doesn't appear to be any cuts or bleeding to signify he'd swallowed glass?

I presume they (Ferrero) offered him a few Euro, and the solicitor reckoned they'd be best off going to court. I'd imagine that, in court, you've a 90% success rate, as they'll take you more seriously for even just going to court in the first place? (the logic being that a chancer would take the small payment and run, so if you're going to court, you must be legit?).

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Thanks Deckard, we'll be back to you after the weather for an update.

TODAY - TUESDAY 11TH DECEMBER
    A cloudy and mostly dry day with just the odd patch of drizzle developing. Highest temperatures of 9 to 11 degrees in fresh and gusty, southeast winds.

TONIGHT - TUESDAY 11TH DECEMBER
    It will be cloudy and wet tonight as a band of rain moves in from the west. The rain will ease somewhat later in the night and a few patches of mist and fog will develop towards dawn. Lowest temperatures of 3 to 5 degrees. Moderate to fresh southeast winds will veer westerly and ease as the night goes on.

I do find it odd, that they gave him €30k based on nothing at all, except the complaint of sporadic stomache aches.

Doesn't appear to be any cuts or bleeding to signify he'd swallowed glass?

I presume they (Ferrero) offered him a few Euro, and the solicitor reckoned they'd be best off going to court. I'd imagine that, in court, you've a 90% success rate, as they'll take you more seriously for even just going to court in the first place? (the logic being that a chancer would take the small payment and run, so if you're going to court, you must be legit?).
    Like alot of cases here it was probably cheaper to settle it on the steps, it must go before the judge for ratification in the cases of minors.
    Examination afterwards had revealed there were several pieces of glass in the Nutella that remained in the bottom of the jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

It was a girl.

Some reporter you are.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    It was a girl.

Some reporter you are.

I'm eating my lunch in a fancy hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So Doctors and an Xray couldn't see anything, and even if they did that wouldn't prove it was the Nutella. Was a glass laces jar of Nutella presented, it could have been the bagel or anything else she ate. Could also be a load of lies for a payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

You'd be nutella to swallow that.

I don't get it. Are you trying to make a pun? Did you use the word nutella instead of nuts? Because that would be an unbelievably shit pun. I really hope that's not it and there's something else that I'm just not getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

4941829.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If I may pose a question...what would you eat for 30k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

If I may pose a question...what would you eat for 30k?

A loaf of bread, I can say there's poison in it. No prove though.

Any food company that sells a product with broken glass in it deserves a hefty financial slap, and anyone who finds themselves inadvertently eating broken glass and getting pain afterwards deserves compensation for the pain, and the fear of serious injury.

30k is nothing to a company that size, it should have been a bigger award in my opinion, so other food companies take note. Food safety is pretty important to everyone, after all. Could have been a little child eating it on a toast soldier, or an elderly person with issues swallowing and the outcome could have been much worse.

But carry on. Free money etc.

Oh and the courts hold the money in trust until the minor reaches the age of majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Candie wrote: »
    Any food company that sells a product with broken glass in it deserves a hefty financial slap, and anyone who finds themselves inadvertently eating broken glass and getting pain afterwards deserves compensation for the pain, and the fear of serious injury.

30k is nothing to a company that size, it should have been a bigger award in my opinion, so other food companies take note. Food safety is pretty important to everyone, after all. Could have been a little child eating it on a toast soldier, or an elderly person with issues swallowing and the outcome could have been much worse.

But carry on. Free money etc.

Oh and the courts hold the money in trust until the minor reaches the age of majority.

Are you the mammy?

No, just not prone to knee-jerk reactions to claims regarding broken glass in food.

Candie wrote: »
    No, just not prone to knee-jerk reactions to claims regarding broken glass in food.

Is this you? :confused:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-who-banged-her-knee-against-table-leg-at-restaurant-awarded-20k-35579644.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

If there really had been glass in the jar, they would have recalled the whole batch, ten's of thousands of jars of the product.

It is also highly unlikely that there would be shards of glass in only one jar and not in dozens if not hundreds yet I see no mention of anyone else complaiming of shards of glass in their Nutella and abdominal pain as a result of their ingestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Who am I meant to be angry at here?

Can I get my complimentary pitchfork on my out?

Keep on standby.

This may get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

that'll be the mother of all 18th birthday partys :p

that'll be the mother of all 18th birthday partys :p

Lets just hope there's nothing unusual in her bottle of WKD :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I found Earwigs in my Weetabix on two separate occasions decades ago.
    Should have kept them.

Advertisement