Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santa has to be cheap skate now

• 08-12-2018 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Its This is flying around facebook with the usual crowd all virtually slapping each other on the back for coming up with b****** ideas.

So after working all year and saving so you can give present to your kids so their little faces light it, now people want to take that away from them

Kids only get a few years these days feeling the real joy of Santa, why do we have to ruin it for them???

Between parents saying they don't want to lie to their children it is younger and younger they find out and Christmas is never really the same after you find out.....really am getting bored of this cr*p

This has come via Sarah Ockwell-Smith whoever the hell she is

47572612_2185556158375317_8525280138600906752_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=581f153842899f7527c2e35a29ffeacd&oe=5CABE82B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The world has always had its fair share of idiots. Unfortunately nowadays they can reach an audience of similar idiots too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Do kids even believe in Santa anymore? I mean, if they got Ipads they probably already know what the craic is anyways

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Probably from the same crowd that put up similar messages on mothers/fathers day, saying that it's insensitive to those that didn't have a good mother/father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

buried wrote: »
    Do kids even believe in Santa anymore? I mean, if they got Ipads they probably already know what the craic is anyways

Maybe get to 6/7...at most.

I went to original post of this and of course you have the usual gobs**t going on about telling them the truth. Wan***s, they never realise the child goes in and ruins it for the rest of the school

They grow up so quickly now, why does everyone want to turn them into adults when they are 4/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Its This is flying around facebook with the usual crowd all virtually slapping each other on the back for coming up with b****** ideas.

So after working all year and saving so you can give present to your kids so their little faces light it, now people want to take that away from them

Kids only get a few years these days feeling the real joy of Santa, why do we have to ruin it for them???

Between parents saying they don't want to lie to their children it is younger and younger they find out and Christmas is never really the same after you find out.....really am getting bored of this cr*p

47572612_2185556158375317_8525280138600906752_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=581f153842899f7527c2e35a29ffeacd&oe=5CABE82B

I don't think you've read it properly? It's not saying don't give them presents, give them all the presents you want, just don't tell them they ALL came from Santa Claus is what it's saying. Let parents take ownership of some of them so as the kid next door doesn't wonder why Santa only brought him one or two things and his neighbour got hundreds of Euro worth of presents.

I can't see the issue from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I fell sorry for people who are well off because certain people love trying to make them feel guilty about working hard and having nice things for themselves and there family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ah yes, Sarah Ockwell Smith, a former homeopath and an proponent of attachment parenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

When we were kids (after my parents separated) my Mother would get us all the Santa presents and then we’d go to my Dad’s and he’d get presents from himself (Dad)! Used to think my Mother was an awful b!tch getting us nothing!

Still think this idea is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You can't put a price on that once in a lifetime magic

I still have one believer left who posted his hand written letter off to the North Pole last week

Magic will still fill the air for him going to bed on the 24th and we still remember ours

Some horrible self hating middle class double barralled dumb fcuk will never change that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

being dictated to by someone is not my idea of fun.
    if i wished to purchase the world and tell my kid santa brought it then i would.
    yes its tough some cant afford santa so they give something small. thats not my issue. yes its probably tough on the receiving kid but thats life. not everything is fair. sooner others accept that the better and better yet keep their little unacceptable suggestions to themselves. says i.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is not new - this is what my parents told us when I was a kid and I assure you it wasn't any time recently.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Kids don't understand class/poverty/materialism, that's all bred in by the parents. Let Santa exist, then instead of telling your kids santa likes you more because you got an Xbox and Timmy got a cardboard box, say that's what he really wanted. You're lying to the little pricks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bunch of do-gooding over politically correct arse nuggets.

If they're not trying to censor Shane's masterpiece because of the word "faggöt" they're trying to make Santa obsolete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

My eldest is 9 and I'm fairly sure she's starting to have doubts about Santa but I don't care, I will still make a big deal about it this year. She has a 4 year old sister and a baby brother in the house too so we still have years of Christmas magic left.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I don't think you've read it properly? It's not saying don't give them presents, give them all the presents you want, just don't tell them they ALL came from Santa Claus is what it's saying. Let parents take ownership of some of them so as the kid next door doesn't wonder why Santa only brought him one or two things and his neighbour got hundreds of Euro worth of presents.

I read it properly, I know what it says....but why should I kill myself working all year to then have someone tell me what I can or can’t do

My kids are young, it’s not like they are getting a new bmw or anything....a present from daddy is not half as exciting or wonderful as something from Santa

Yes some people go overboard in my eyes but would I ever judge them on it, no chance. They have worked as well for it so let them enjoy it

Everyone just wants to suck the life out of any enjoyment you can have Incase it offends someone else

I wasn’t from a rich family, loads of people got more and better stuff from Santa but it never crossed my mind about it.....I was too excited to worry if they got 3 presents and I got 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People with double barrel names are often attention seeking twats I've found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nothing beats the magic of sitting down with a child writing a Santa letter asking for socks and jocks............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

"How the fcuk are elves in the north pole meant to make phones and game consoles"

Just say this to your kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Kids don't understand class/poverty/materialism, that's all bred in by the parents. Let Santa exist, then instead of telling your kids santa likes you more because you got an Xbox and Timmy got a cardboard box, say that's what he really wanted. You're lying to the little pricks anyway.

It’s hard when it’s the reverse and Timmy is a little spoiled ****e who got the Xbox but generally I think you can manage expectations in advance if they’re good kids.

My eldest is 9 and I'm fairly sure she's starting to have doubts about Santa but I don't care, I will still make a big deal about it this year. She has a 4 year old sister and a baby brother in the house too so we still have years of Christmas magic left.

Christmas is very flat when there are no kids around on Christmas morning

Enjoy every minute of it

• Advertisement

Pentecost wrote: »
    It’s hard when it’s the reverse and Timmy is a little spoiled ****e who got the Xbox but generally I think you can manage expectations in advance if they’re good kids.

Then you lie and say Santa didn't even bring him a box cause he's a ****, so his ma became a prostitute to buy him the Xbox.

Problem solved.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Christmas is very flat when there are no kids around on Christmas morning

Enjoy every minute of it

I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to it. Its just not the same, I know before I had kids I'd stay in bed til 11/12 o'clock, that's just not Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

It's really great to see on here that the kids still have the total magic of Christmas Eve and the next morning still going on. The modern mainstream world seems to value very little in imagination and magic, I thought it's value was actually gone from the kids too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Valerie Matthews

Completely agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Then you lie and say Santa didn't even bring him a box cause he's a ****, so his ma became a prostitute to buy him the Xbox.

Problem solved.......

That’s one approach..might depend on how far along you are with the whole “the birds and the bees” conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

funny-dear-Santa-letter.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Kids will be kids. For the most part they'll be delighted with what they got an appreciate it. They also won't judge the other kids based on what they did and didn't get. They'll leave that to the parents !!!

The expensive presents are not always the best presents BTW. I remember when I was Santa age (back in the late 60's early 70s' !! ) my family would have been moderately well off in comparison to a lot of local families. 1972 I got a full Arsenal kit, including new boots, a Meccano set, an Airfix model and a load of books and other bits. Delighted I was. My best buddy got a leather football. Full stop. For all my fancy stuff I so wanted to be him that morning... :(

buried wrote: »
    It's really great to see on here that the kids still have the total magic of Christmas Eve and the next morning still going on. The modern mainstream world seems to value very little in imagination and magic, I thought it's value was actually gone from the kids too.

It's the last bastion of magic in this life even as a parent silently setting out everything tip toeing around as the house sleeps thinking of the kids sleeping and what awaits them the next morning

This time passes in a flash and I will miss it

Pentecost wrote: »
    That’s one approach..might depend on how far along you are with the whole “the birds and the bees” conversation.

Or how drunk you are trying to put together the little ***** cardboard box.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to it. Its just not the same, I know before I had kids I'd stay in bed til 11/12 o'clock, that's just not Christmas.
    I know it's especially lovely with children but 25th December is Christmas day whatever way you mark it.

Some here are either claiming she said to tell children there's no Santa (she didn't) or that one person on Facebook, in the US, whom you've never heard of, has the actual power to make this the law.

I think she makes a fair point but nobody *has* to do what she says, so no need to act as though this has become essential with all the talk of "dictating" and "children shouldn't have the magic of Christmas taken from them". They won't.

I'm not sure that children stop believing earlier now, do they? I'd have thought if anything the internet helps make him feel even more real - with the sleigh tracker etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,928 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hits all the buttons alright.

"This Holiday Season..."

What's wrong with "this Christmas"?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

We lived in a flat roofed house when I was little and there wasn't many hiding places for toys so we found out early enough about santa. I was probably 5 or 6 when we discovered the stash under clothes in my parents wardrobe!:pac:

However coming from a large family growing up in the 70s and 80s, and with my dad medically unable to work, whatever money they had for presents was always going to be split 6 ways. Now that I have a child of my own, I get her anything she wants and don't feel guilty about it one bit. I couldn't care less if her friends got fcuk all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

You do all the work and buy the presents and that fat bearded fcuker gets
    All the credit ...

But in fairness I did marry her :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got told Santa was subsidised.

We left out milk, cookies, carrots, and a cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’ve two girls and the youngest is 10.

I’m sure she’s figured out, but she’s playing her part perfectly and that’s fine by us. Eldest is 16 and she plus the pet for her younger sister too. It’s a great bit of magic abkut the house and I’ll miss it when it’s not happening any more.

People knocking the Santa idea are just sad. They have no idea of the magic it brings to kids and the house for everyone. They need to get out and get a life and leave people do what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Having been fooled well into puberty about Santa and been mortified when I caught on at such an advanced age, I always tried not to go too overboard with the Santa hype, like I didn't take them to the over-priced santas in shopping centres or encourage massive lists, for example. But they did have Santa, for sure and it was the best crack. Then again they were very rural kids, homeschooled, free-roaming generally, and had their own extensive creed about fairies and various hill-dwelling magical beings, which they developed all by themselves. Santa was another magical being added to the pantheon. We never had money but I did save over the year for Christmas.

It is still good crack when they grow up. They are young men and women now and I can't wait to have them home, trickling in from about the 14th, and staying until after New Year. No Santa here anymore, but there is magic about the time of the year, regardless.

I think magic, wonder, mystery and awe are very important parts of a child's psyche. It leaves the possibility there that as adults they will find those threads again in ordinary life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭threetrees

I won't take parenting advice from people who write in capital letters (ie shouting) and refer to the "holiday season" (ridiculous political correctness).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I'm not gonna lie, I still believed when I was 12 lol
    I hope my little one does too, everyone in such a hurry to turn their kids into 'best friends', adults, sexualised young folk....

THEY ARE KIDS FFS!!!! GET A FOKIN GRIP!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

italodisco wrote: »
    I'm not gonna lie, I still believed when I was 12 lol

Snap :D and Phew! I was probably more like nearly 13 to be honest. And even when my parents told me I tried to argue them down, and insisted that I had actually SEEN him, so they were the confused ones. :pac:

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Zorya wrote: »
    Snap :D and Phew! I was probably more like nearly 13 to be honest. And even when my parents told me I tried to argue them down, and insisted that I had actually SEEN him, so they were the confused ones. :pac:

:o

Yep I was in complete denial, as far as I was concerned everyone who said he was not real was living in 1950 whereas I was living in 3030 lol

I want my little one to be a child, so many don't get the chance to ever be children which is so sad, let's not lose sight of how wonderful it is to be naive and innocent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

The look of wonder in kids eyes on Xmas morning is worth every penny and every hour of work to pay for it. I wont apologise for getting my kids everything and usually more than they asked for. I work overtime or sacrifice certain luxuries at times so I can pay for it. Its my money and il do as i well please with it.

And to those who say Santa doesnt exist well he does as every parent who sneaks around on Xmas Eve placing out toys that have been hidden and smuggled into the house in ways Pablo Escobar would be proud of well we are Santa..we keep Santa 'alive'.

As long as people like me do what we do at Christmas then Santa will exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I don't even remember caring about what other kids got for Christmas. By the time we went back to school in January it was old news and hardly talked about. You may see a couple of kids on the street with a new bike or something, but it's not as if I started thinking about the ones that didn't get one.

If someone got something much better than me I would say "wow you're so lucky to get that", and that'd be the end of it. Kids really do not have the same materialistic views as adults.....at least kids of Santa age shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Whelo79 wrote: »

You don't see the issue of some idiot advertising to all and sundry that santa isn't real and insinuating that the parents are fulfilling the role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Kids will be kids. For the most part they'll be delighted with what they got an appreciate it. They also won't judge the other kids based on what they did and didn't get. They'll leave that to the parents !!!

The expensive presents are not always the best presents BTW. I remember when I was Santa age (back in the late 60's early 70s' !! ) my family would have been moderately well off in comparison to a lot of local families. 1972 I got a full Arsenal kit, including new boots, a Meccano set, an Airfix model and a load of books and other bits. Delighted I was. My best buddy got a leather football. Full stop. For all my fancy stuff I so wanted to be him that morning... :(

You were a bit more than moderately well off in 1972.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Kids do understand class and poverty, i was in primary school where we had working class, middle class and let’s say a doctor’s kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭blackbox

This is not new - this is what my parents told us when I was a kid and I assure you it wasn't any time recently.

Same for me, more than 50 years ago. We got stuff from Santa but our main presents came from the parents for that exact reason.

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Kids do understand class and poverty, i was in primary school where we had working class, middle class and let’s say a doctor’s kids.

Not when they are 4-7.....which at this stage is about the max you will get before they know.....

[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }[/COLOR]

blackbox wrote: »
    Same for me, more than 50 years ago. We got stuff from Santa but our main presents came from the parents for that exact reason.

Sounds great fun.....way to suck the life out of any enjoyment for your kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This ties a bit into the whole wealth redistribution ideas that some have, that we must all be uniform and equal.

A functioning economy will always have wealth inequality, otherwise why bother getting up in the morning and working if you earn the same as someone that doesn't work.

I have a 15 month old, we don't excessively spoil her and don't plan to even though we've been lucky to be financially comfortable since we left college. I don't feel guilty when we do buy her some nice things, we worked hard for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Ninthlife wrote: »
    And to those who say Santa doesnt exist well he does...
    No he doesn't. I know what you're saying about what he represents etc existing, but people who say he doesn't exist (i.e. everyone besides young children) are referring to the literal.
    You don't see the issue of some idiot advertising to all and sundry that santa isn't real and insinuating that the parents are fulfilling the role?
    She said tell children that the most expensive gifts are not from Santa and the rest are. That is not the same as what you are saying.
    Sounds great fun.....way to suck the life out of any enjoyment for your kids
    "Any" enjoyment? They're not telling the children that Santa doesn't exist.

Some of ye are being colossal snowflakes... over a Facebook post by a nobody in America :D and acting as if this is about to become the law in Ireland. You can carry on your approach regarding Santa - this random Facebook post changes nothing. "Santa must be cheapskate now" - "must" he? Ye should stop looking for offence and enjoy preparing for Christmas.

I love the Santa thing - believed until I was 10 and a half (not a fan of people bringing up their kids with no Santa) and I am certainly not part of the bitter brigade that likes to make out hardworking people who earn good money are the devil, but I don't see the issue with the message she suggests (which isn't telling the children that Santa doesn't exist). It's about keeping children included. To me it's not that different in its intent to saying it's unfair to raise kids with no Santa as they may feel excluded when they hear other children talking about Santa at school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement