Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gender equality in exam question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

BBFAN wrote: »
    It's a one point answer simply because the student makes only one point. Fairly simple in my view. Their point is correct but it's still only one point.

I dont think that's the point here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

What age group was that ?

For sure students have been taught how to answer the 2 parts of the question.
    So would give it with generosity a 1.5, as the answer is incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Zenify wrote: »
    I dont think that's the point here :)

How exactly is it not? The OP asks should he have gotten 3 points or 1. The answer is 1. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

How exactly is it not? The OP asks should he have gotten 3 points or 1. The answer is 1. Simples.

where does it say you have to give 3 answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's a rubbish answer. If you want to argue that point it needs to be a lot more elaborate. Male leagues are a lot more established, more competition to get to the top, sponsors investing more, established deals, clubs being businesses trying to make profit and so on. Because more people watch it is a lazy ovey simplistic answer.

Btw was that in college? It's ok if 15 year old was making that point but if that's the standard post secondary school then it's pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭SeanW

If a student provides an answer that is factually accurate how can you possiby deduct them marks.

i dont get it
    For the same reason that you'd fail an exam in North Korea for answer suggesting that Kim Jong Un is not a living god and this he was not born under a smiling lucky rainbow. It's true, but it's "incorrect" politically.

where does it say you have to give 3 answers

If there is 3 points, you need to make at least 3 sentences.

Thought this was common sense but maybe you've never taken any exams?

pure rubbish . never heard of that crap in all the years i was in school and collage.

im in my early 30s so its not that long ago.

loads of(the questions in) my exams were for 25 points each. how do you do 25 sentances on those subjects.

pure rubbish . never heard of that crap in all the years i was in school and collage.

loads of my exams were for 25 points each. how do you do 25 sentances on those subjects.

Loads of your exams were for 25 points each? Do you need to re-read that sentence?

• Advertisement

Loads of your exams were for 25 points each? Do you need to re-read that sentence?

each question.

each question.

That's not what you said though is it?

And yes, for 25 marks you'd need to write more than one sentence, wouldn't you agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The teacher did state that the answer is completely factually correct. He just knows that's not the answer the question wanted. I think he's trying to do what he is supposed to do and not what he believes.

As usual BBFAN your posting total rubbish does it never occur to you to read the thread?

A failing mark for you on this test.

loads of my exams were for 25 points each. how do you do 25 sentances on those subjects.
    I don't care about the amount of sentences but the answer given was lazy. I presume those questions are posed to evaluate the reasoning skills students have. There is no right or wrong answer as long as you can argue your point well. The answer given falls far short of that.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't care about the amount of sentences but the answer given was lazy. I presume those questions are posed to evaluate the reasoning skills students have. There is no right or wrong answer as long as you can argue your point well. The answer given falls far short of that.

Totally agree.

That's not what you said though is it?

And yes, for 25 marks you'd need to write more than one sentence, wouldn't you agree?

sorry sir its what i meant

yes for a 25 mark question you could write somewhere between a few sentances to a whole page.
    whats your point . if 5 sentances fully answers a 25 mark question then whats the point in 25 sentances like your demanding.
    1 or 2 sentances could easily fully answer a 3 mark question

• Advertisement

i agree the OP example is a bit lazy. another sentance whould have really helped establish his opinion.

but to state that you need 3 sentances because its a 3 mark question is stupid

i agree the OP example is a bit lazy. another sentance whould have really helped establish his opinion.

but to state that you need 3 sentences because its a 3 mark question is way beyond stupid

Corrected your work also spit out that gum and sit up straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There's a question in a recent C.S.P.E. exam which starts of stating that Male soccer players get paid more than female soccer players. The question then asks what is your opinion? Explain your point of view.

A student answered it by saying:

Male soccer has a bigger audience of both Males and females and can therefore afford to pay more from advertising revenue.

It's a 3 mark question. How many Mark's would you give the student? I'm not the teacher btw, I just found it very interesting.

There are two parts to the question
    1) what is your opinion
    2) explain your point of view

The student did not clearly state their opinion.
    The student did not explain their point of view.

Teacher is being generous with 1 mark as student did neither.

A 3 mark answer would be:

In my opinion the difference in wages between female and male soccer players is justified. Players wages are linked to the revenue they generate. Male soccer has a bigger audience of both Males and females and can therefore afford to pay more from advertising revenue. Further, the skill level of male football players is greater due to the larger percentage of participants at youth level

CSPE = Civic, Social and Political Education. I dont think reasoning skills get you all the marks...?

sorry sir its what i meant

yes for a 25 mark question you could write somewhere between a few sentances to a whole page.
    whats your point . if 5 sentances fully answers a 25 mark question then whats the point in 25 sentances like your demanding.
    1 or 2 sentances could easily fully answer a 3 mark question

1 sentence will never get you 3 marks, but you know that already I suspect unless you really don't know how to even spell sentence which directly leads back to my assumption that you've never even sat an exam. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There are two parts to the question
    1) what is your opinion
    2) explain your point of view

The student did not clearly state their opinion.
    The student did not explain their point of view.

Teacher is being generous with 1 mark as student did neither.

A 3 mark answer would be:

In my opinion the difference in wages between female and male soccer players is justified. Players wages are linked to the revenue they generate. Male soccer has a bigger audience of both Males and females and can therefore afford to pay more from advertising revenue. Further, the skill level of male football players is greater due to the larger percentage of participants at youth level

Nice try but wrong read post 63.

Nice try but wrong read post 63.

Read the first post and practice your own reading comprehension.

CSPE = Civic, Social and Political Education. I dont think reasoning skills get you all the marks...?

1 sentence will never get you 3 marks, but you know that already I suspect unless you really don't know how to even spell sentence which directly leads back to my assumption that you've never even sat an exam. :rolleyes:

you-find-yourself-a-hole-the-first-thing-to-do-6161767.png

Explain for 3 points?

Please explain?

i never said one sentance was enough . it should be the minimium needed to answer the question . writing 3 sentances when 2 could have fully answered it is just stupid.

im sorry my spelling isnt up to your high standard. some of us have better things to be doing than worring about such stpid things.

not sure why i have to lower my self to your level but i will
    i have sat loads of exams through my junior cert, leaving cert and 4 years in collage.
    how about you post up how many exams you have .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Augme

It's worrying that the majority of people in this thread think the answer in the OP deserves full marks.

I never said one sentence was enough. It should be a minimum needed to answer the question.
    Writing 3 sentences when 2 could have fully answered it is just stupid.

I'm sorry my spelling isn't up to your high standard. some of us have better things to be doing than worrying about such stupid things.

Not sure why I have to lower my self to your level but I will.
    I have sat loads of exams through my junior cert, leaving cert and 4 years in college.
    How about you post up how many exams you have.

Fixed your spelling and grammar but I understood your sensible post so it makes little difference.;)

Pretty sure there is little I can do for some of the others posts in this thread that are devoid of any common sense.:)

Please explain?

Read post 63.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I would report the teacher to the Departmrnt. What a horrible individual.

• Advertisement

Augme wrote: »
    It's worrying that the majority of people in this thread think the answer in the OP deserves full marks.

Especially some that made it through college. I'll be first to admit you can get away with a lot of bs in most social or political science exams but never use one sentence answers unless you are asked for specific quotations or similar.

i never said one sentance was enough . it should be the minimium needed to answer the question . writing 3 sentances when 2 could have fully answered it is just stupid.

im sorry my spelling isnt up to your high standard. some of us have better things to be doing than worring about such stpid things.

not sure why i have to lower my self to your level but i will
    i have sat loads of exams through my junior cert, leaving cert and 4 years in collage.
    how about you post up how many exams you have .

I have a Level 8 degree since you ask.

Jesus Christ, even in an answer to my post you manage to make 4 more mistakes so although you claim to have 4 years in college I doubt you've passed any exams at that level so give up trying to bull**** your way through it. :rolleyes:

This is why I loved Maths and Science. No bull, just right or wrong answers. Everything else promotes waffling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

student scored an own goal there,
    (thats three points)

He must be a left-wing Liberal nightmare for the students.:rolleyes:

That answer was factually correct.

The question didn’t seek a fact, the question sought an opinion and an explanation of that opinion.

The question didn’t seek a fact, the question sought an opinion and an explanation of that opinion.

Come off it, it was a politically charged question.

I have a Level 8 degree since you ask.

Jesus Christ, even in an answer to my post you manage to make 4 more mistakes so although you claim to have 4 years in college I doubt you've passed any exams at that level so give up trying to bull**** your way through it. :rolleyes:

level 8 same as myself so.

im sorry if my grammer isnt up to your high standards. i dont have to wirte correctly in my day to day work. i have dyslexia so that doesnt help.

shur isnt most of those pointless school and collage subject just pure bull **** anyway. all pointless

I have a Level 8 degree since you ask. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attack the posts, not the poster bullying is not an argument.

His spelling and grammar is irrelevant to the point we are supposed to be debating.

This is why I loved Maths and Science. No bull, just right or wrong answers. Everything else promotes waffling.

That's why I hated chemistry, phisics and biology (not maths for whatever reason), it was boring and completely devoid of anything that makes life interesting. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

There was always a little of that going on. Not as bad as it is now but it did happen.

Just a simple example.

I wanted to be a journalist and had to do honours English.

If you were answering a question on Shakespeare or poetry your teacher would give you a prepared answer or suggest a way of answering it.

Thinking for your self wasn't really an option

Well, presumably poets and writers want their works interpreted a certain way. They had something they were going for when they wrote it. So, are there multiple ways to interpret a piece of writing or a poem? My English teachers never just say “this is what this poem means, just because.”. They’d ask if we could figure out what the poet was going for with different lines and passages but would explain it to us if we couldn’t get it. I don’t think that explaining what the themes a writer was trying to convey and the devices they have employed and why means the teacher isn’t encouraging you to think for yourself.

Other elements of the course and exam allow you to do so such as essay-writing and reading comprehension. When teaching works of literature, they have a duty to make sure the writer’s intent is understood and from my experience, my English teachers did their best to encourage students to figure out what that intent was. If we couldn’t quite figure it out THEN they’d explain it. You’re still learning if they explain it to you.

level 8 same as myself so.

im sorry if my grammer isnt up to your high standards. i dont have to wirte correctly in my day to day work. i have dyslexia so that doesnt help.

shur isnt most of those pointless school and collage subject just pure bull **** anyway. all pointless

That is your business and you should not be sorry for it I can understand you just fine.:)

From the board rules.

Grammar nazis not welcome
    Not everybody is as perfect as you are. Some people have learning difficulties. Some people are dyslexic. Some people are stupid and finally some people just don't care about their spelling and grammar. It's not your job to police them.

That's why I hated chemistry, phisics and biology (not maths for whatever reason), it was boring and completely devoid of anything that makes life interesting. :D

Physics is boring. I have heard it all now. Understanding nature, the cosmos, is boring.

It was actually an easy question. They combined sport that a lot of kids are interested in and gender inequality debaters that are hard to miss. It was a question students would find easy to debate.

Instead you get bunch of (I suspect) 30 year olds being insulted because someone didn't get full marks for piss poor reply to an easy question.

Yes, it’s CSPE which covers politics.

Stating your opinion and a basis for that opinion is a key part of making political arguments, whatever part of the spectrum you fall on.

The student was asked to state an opinion and explain that opinion, instead they gave a generic factoid, which sort of indicated the direction of their opinion but wasn’t clear and didn’t really explain anything.

This question could have asked what color do you think the sky is, explain and I could have answered red with a wholly crazy but well stated opinion and got 3 marks.

The point is the opinion and argument not the facts.

same here. all this opinion nonscence really anoys me. maths and facts based subject are so much easier.

maths is so straightforward compared to this carry on.
    do step a,b c and get your answer.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, this is a secondary school exam. The teacher isn't giving 1 mark because the answer is too short, It's because the section of the book is about gender inequality. The question is badly worded and the students answer is based on fact, however it doesn't address inequality. It's interesting to me because it's a very valid argument about inequality to pay in sport but obviously the book doesn't cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Mark Twain, Mark Wahlberg and Mark Anthony

Female players get paid less because female soccer is dreadful

TCM wrote: »
    Female players get paid less because female soccer is dreadful

The student suffered for giving an honest answer but he was not brutally honest.:D

Edit, before some delicate soul gets offended, do I have to explain this post is just a joke too?

Just to clarify, this is a secondary school exam. The teacher isn't giving 1 mark because the answer is too short, It's because the section of the book is about gender inequality. The question is badly worded and the students answer is based on fact, however it doesn't address inequality. It's interesting to me because it's a very valid argument about inequality to pay in sport but obviously the book doesn't cover it.

I had to write an essay at leaving cert sociology exam (another country) on the prevalence of pyramid schemes in post communist society. Do you think the syllabus covered that? All they were looking for were a few technical terms that we learned to be included in a semi-coherent text.

I had to write an essay at leaving cert sociology exam (another country) on the prevalence of pyramid schemes in post communist society. Do you think the syllabus covered that? All they were looking for were a few technical terms that we learned to be included in a semi-coherent text.

Do you sit it again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement