Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treat America the same. Visa Requirements

• 17-09-2018 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

This isn't a problem for me as I have Irish and US citizenship.

Going to the US, an Irish Citizen (Well anyone other than Canadian) needs an ESTA Visa, while an American Citizen can travel Visa Free.

In addition if the US Immigration officer in Dublin believes that you might overstay your visa (Why would you? TBH), they may require to buy a ticket exiting the US before the visa ends.

So should we make Americans do the same.

IMO Yes. What have they done for us, apart from being one of the first countries to recognize our independence. Irish citizens have contributed to the US for over 100 years

So what do think?

Treat the US the same, Visa 30 votes

No, leave it as it is
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, make them do the same
    33% 10 votes
    Other, in comments
    66% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Thought yanks need a VISA to stay here...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Daithi_115

To STAY, but not visit for up to 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They do need a visa..

Edit, saw OP changed their message a bit.
    In light of that I say, ban them all from visiting for 3 months and make them stay (with a visa of course!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

An esta isn't a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

They get three month holiday time. Not too many would be arsed staying here. The OP would be better off aiming his/her proposal at citizens of non eea countries who can get here and have fcuk all to go back too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Eh... How can you legally buy a ticket exiting the US after the visa expires? I wouldn't be too shocked by the thought of having one beforehand. Isn't that kind of expected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

You need an ESTA for the US and an ETA for Canada.

Both are handy to get. Fill out a form online, pay a few quid and you can travel for 3 months.

Whats the harm?
    Eh... How can you legally buy a ticket exiting the US after the visa expires? I wouldn't be too shocked by the thought of having one beforehand. Isn't that kind of expected?

Easy. You just book and leave. They don't care once you're leaving. They will care if you try and go back.

This. It's a visa waiver, not a visa. My Polish coworker who is not yet an Irish citizen has to get a full-blown visa for his Polish passport - even for a holiday. He has to present himself to the embassy in person.

Welcome back to the cesspit of reason. Your rebranding exercise has me awaiting profundity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They ask us if we were involved in the Holocaust. We should ask them if they were involved in the Famine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

McGaggs wrote: »
    They ask us if we were involved in the Holocaust. We should ask them if they were involved in the Famine.

Genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

And a Mastercard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeh, bizarre stuff that the US wants to know were you involved in something that had nothing to do with their country or their nationals.

Could understand if they asked had anyone taken part in US war crimes or attacked the US, but instead just randomly asking about (mainly) German crimes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Don't we heavily rely on Americans for our tourism industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I remember flying on American Airlines from Charlotte to Dublin and it was announced that non EU citizens needed to fill out some form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

RobertKK wrote: »
    I remember flying on American Airlines from Charlotte to Dublin and it was announced that non EU citizens needed to fill out some form.

Got the same flying from Tokyo to Seattle. Never got it flying from the US to Dublin tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

An Esta isn't a visa. The clue is in the name - visa waiver program. So Americans visiting Ireland are treated the same as Irish visiting the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Daithi_115 wrote: »
    Irish citizens have contributed to the US for over 100 years

So what do think?

No they haven't!

They went there for there own gains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Didnt the American Indians send money during the famine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Daithi_115 wrote: »

In addition if the US Immigration officer in Dublin believes that you might overstay your visa (Why would you? TBH),

Yes, there's absolutely no cases of Irish people overstaying their visa in America............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,441 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Brazil brought in fingerprinting for US tourists, as far as I know it's still in place.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/10/world/us-and-brazil-fingerprinting-is-it-getting-out-of-hand.html

Advertisement