Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darndale Sunbather in a Vegetative state

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Searching Darndale scrambler on facebook throws up something interesting.
    Seems to be something popular enough with youths in the area and apparently there had been an appeal to the Council in the past to provide a track.
    sME3sXF.jpg?1
    Local Darndale Children appeal for some Council land in their own area so that they can enjoy their Scrambler bikes without annoying local residents or risking accidents on greens used by sporting groups and young children and families
    https://www.facebook.com/jerrypmccarthy/media_set?set=a.10205662325668782&type=1

To be clear though, there's absolutely no defending the completely reckless manner in which these kids currently go around on bikes, a public field is no place for it, but a tragedy like this really needs to be prevented from ever happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Maybe they could think about legislating against stuff like this when more clearly urgent matters like minimum alcohol pricing are sorted.

Nothing will change in this country unless there is genuine consequence for this antisocial behavior.

I take issue with the term "antisocial behavior" in this context.

For me, antisocial behavior is if I make plans to meet someone for dinner and then cancel at the last minute.

Tearing around a park on a motor vehicle, recklessly colliding with someone at such speed as to cause them severe brain damage is not antisocial behavior - it is criminal behavior, and the people who engage in it deserve to be treated as what they are; criminals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The last thing Darndale needs is a scrambling track.
    If they can afford the scrambler then they should be able to pay for somewhere to use it. Between horses and scramblers they seem great at buying things that are inappropriate to the area they live in. What is wrong with skateboards and bikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

For me, antisocial behavior is if I make plans to meet someone for dinner and then cancel at the last minute.

Tearing around a park on a motor vehicle, recklessly colliding with someone at such speed as to cause them severe brain damage is not antisocial behavior - it is criminal behavior, and the people who engage in it deserve to be treated as what they are; criminals.

I don't disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Antisocial would be the correct definition for this sort of reckless disregard towards others.
    Your dinner scenario is an example of asocial behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I suggest people start asking politicians at the doors what are they going to do about reckless crime and lack of prison space, before you would offer your vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The last thing Darndale needs is a scrambling track.
    If they can afford the scrambler then they should be able to pay for somewhere to use it. Between horses and scramblers they seem great at buying things that are inappropriate to the area they live in. What is wrong with skateboards and bikes?

Disagree there. If it keeps them off the roads and out of the parks and potentially gives some kids a way into motorsport why is it a bad idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I see this every day in Tymon park in Tallaght, how someone hasnt been killed is a miracle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

P_1 wrote: »
    If it keeps them off the roads and out of the parks and potentially gives some kids a way into motorsport why is it a bad idea?

A kids motorbike club seems odd, there’s promising careers on bmx’s too but it seems they want horsepower one way or the other to do the leg work
    I see this every day in Tymon park in Tallaght, how someone hasnt been killed is a miracle

Tymon’s a great park, used to walk all the way up there just to cover the circumference then back. Can’t imagine it spoiled by that racket..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

P_1 wrote: »
    Disagree there. If it keeps them off the roads and out of the parks and potentially gives some kids a way into motorsport why is it a bad idea?

Because it will be destroyed and plundered within two days from being opened if it even gets to the stage it can be opened and they'll be up to the usual ****e again.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Kids having dangerous weapons at there disposal is crazy and garda doing nothing about it.

Yet a law-abiding citizen cannot even get the smallest swiss army knife posted to Ireland because of the new knife laws.

The Garda, Judges, Doctors, Government have let the population down to many times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Reminds me of Guido Nasi, the 17-year-old Italian student who was left in a somewhat similar state when a scumbag hit him in the head with a bottle in Fairview park back in '99.

Some good news is Guido recently secured a book deal and will be writing a memoir about his life since the attack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Parenting. ****ty parenting.

I guarantee you the scum who did this believes the couple are partly to blame because 'they shouldnt have been lying there'. Listened to similar pathetic excuses for years excusing 'joy' riding, stealing peoples phones and general scumbaggery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Why is it that the most deprived areas of Dublin seem to have Scramblers, Quads and Horses galore?

Also there is absolutely no reason they could not persue assault charges.

4.—(1) A person who intentionally or recklessly causes serious harm to another shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for life or to both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why is it that the most deprived areas of Dublin seem to have Scramblers, Quads and Horses galore?

Also there is absolutely no reason they could not persue assault charges.

4.—(1) A person who intentionally or recklessly causes serious harm to another shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for life or to both.

Because lazy parenting.

Here’s a scrambler, now go away for a few hours; you’re not my problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

In Tolka Valley in Finglas you regularly see parents with a bike or 2 and a queue of kids waiting for a go. The parent's aren't even using it as a way to get rid of the kids, they're actively pushing it as a fun activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In Tolka Valley in Finglas you regularly see parents with a bike or 2 and a queue of kids waiting for a go. The parent's aren't even using it as a way to get rid of the kids, they're actively pushing it as a fun activity.

I see them going across Corcaigh Park in clondalkin and I always hope one of them falls off.
    But definitely it's the parents. They keep these bikes in the back gardens or garage. Drive them out onto the streets. 100% the parents ability to not say "no"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Reminds me of Guido Nasi, the 17-year-old Italian student who was left in a somewhat similar state when a scumbag hit him in the head with a bottle in Fairview park back in '99.

Some good news is Guido recently secured a book deal and will be writing a memoir about his life since the attack.

I remember that, awful and sickening attack. Makes you wonder how much public support he could have received had the internet evolved to where it is today.

sidenote: we need to make a criminal offence to share videos of these attacks when it's blatantly obvious the person recording it is doing so for amusement, not to capture it for evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Searching Darndale scrambler on facebook throws up something interesting.
    Seems to be something popular enough with youths in the area and apparently there had been an appeal to the Council in the past to provide a track.
    sME3sXF.jpg?1

https://www.facebook.com/jerrypmccarthy/media_set?set=a.10205662325668782&type=1

To be clear though, there's absolutely no defending the completely reckless manner in which these kids currently go around on bikes, a public field is no place for it, but a tragedy like this really needs to be prevented from ever happening again.

How is this allowed?
    I can’t buy a gun and then demand that a gun club is made for me or I’ll keep shooting it in public.

Legality comes first, then they can demand facilities.

• Advertisement

These parents are effectively big kids who get trapped in a cycle of reliving their youth through their kids which rarely ends well. They often end up remonstrating with them, crying you’re not the boss of me. Some of them aren’t even big so they’re just old kids

Providing a track is the last thing we should do. It would legitimize it and won't stop the mindless rallying around fields. A Gardai led targeted campaign to lift as many off these yokes off the street is required.

If it must be 2 wheels, get on a fecking bicycle and get the benefit of some exercise...

We will have heard the occasional scrambler ripping through the lanes or and said what the f*ck was that so imagine loads of kids tearing around the block on those things, must be a disaster to listen to. Running wild on feckin motorbikes what next.... can only imagine the state of the football pitches they’re producing little talent as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I thought Darndale was a deprived area with low unemployment and low to zero incomes. Who's paying for the bikes? Let me guess, "State funded".

Give us a field of dreams. We 'need' a track. Fook me, theres a big difference between need and want. You want a track, you need a kick in the hole. Go out and buy your own F***in field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

This was a daily occurance in Tolka Valley park when I was living in Finglas and the guards basically told me to stop reporting it because there was nothing they could do and 'if we chase them it'll just get more dangerous'. As far as I'm concerned the blame for this lies first with the scumbag on the bike, but the Gardai are a surprisingly close second.

A friend of mine was told the same thing when she contacted the gardai in Finglas (where she worked, kids on scramblers flying around public roads and footpaths near her workplace) and Blanchardstown (where she lives, kids on scramblers racing around on public roads in a housing estate).

These scramblers are not taxed and insured and they're also not well maintained and not actually not "road" worthy. They're fucked into a shed, passed around friends, crashed and passed onto another friend, fucked into another shed for a while.

With these scumbags, if it's not scramblers, it's horses. These little scumbags don't care, nothing will happen to them, they'll move onto their next bit of fun, their parents will make excuses for their behavior forever more.

Hoboo wrote: »
    I thought Darndale was a deprived area with low unemployment and low to zero incomes. Who's paying for the bikes? Let me guess, "State funded".

Give us a field of dreams. We 'need' a track. Fook me, theres a big difference between need and want. You want a track, you need a kick in the hole. Go out and buy your own F***in field.

These yokes can be bought and sold online for a few hundred quid. A few lads probably pool the money plus i doubt much thought is given to maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Could you not have some sort of licencing system when you buy them. I have no idea of what you do when you buy a new car but I presume you have to provide a licence or ID or something.
    How are they being sold to young kids, could it not be regulated at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Could you not have some sort of licencing system when you buy them. I have no idea of what you do when you buy a new car but I presume you have to provide a licence or ID or something.
    How are they being sold to young kids, could it not be regulated at that level.

From memory, I've bought a few new cars and bikes. Unless you're applying for finance through the dealership there is not requirement to produce valid ID to purchase a vehicle.

As regards the bikes in Darndale, Finglas, Ballymun, Ballyfermot, Tallaght etc etc the majority of them are stolen, never recovered then passed around as 'company' bikes.

Every now and then some dimwit manages to kill himself on one, good enough for 'em. But unfortunately they also kill and maim innocents like this poor man.

Only a few years ago at the same spot a man was killed in almost the exact same circumstance. He was a taxi man who was having his car valeted (there's a guy doing a very cheap car valet from his garden in Primrose).

The taxi driver was sunbathing while he was waiting for his car to be finished and a bike came over the hill and killed him.

I'm not sure how it can all be stopped, but at least every now and then there's a thinning out of the herd when one of them hits a lamp post, a wall or some other immovable solid object.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

From memory, I've bought a few new cars and bikes. Unless you're applying for finance through the dealership there is not requirement to produce valid ID to purchase a vehicle.

As regards the bikes in Darndale, Finglas, Ballymun, Ballyfermot, Tallaght etc etc the majority of them are stolen, never recovered then passed around as 'company' bikes.

Every now and then some dimwit manages to kill himself on one, good enough for 'em. But unfortunately they also kill and maim innocents like this poor man.

Only a few years ago at the same spot a man was killed in almost the exact same circumstance. He was a taxi man who was having his car valeted (there's a guy doing a very cheap car valet from his garden in Primrose).

The taxi driver was sunbathing while he was waiting for his car to be finished and a bike came over the hill and killed him.

I'm not sure how it can all be stopped, but at least every now and then there's a thinning out of the herd when one of them hits a lamp post, a wall or some other immovable solid object.

Fucking hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Where in Tymon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm not sure how it can all be stopped

How about the guards getting off their arses and doing their jobs - perhaps patrolling the likely parks and streets at peak activity times? People don't seem surprised that the accident happened so it's obviously going on all the time. They might even catch a few drug dealers and prevent other anti-social behaviours while they're at it. I was turning my car just beside one of the local parks and was mesmerised to see a young chap in school uniform playing horsey atop his girlfriend - at least I hope she was - with three other lads in uniforms watching. It was quite violent looking and I regret now that I didn't park my car and walk past them to check that she was ok. I'm not so old that I don't remember past quite clearly but take it behind a tree and cut out the voyeurs. A couple of guards walking through the park a couple of times would give people pause for thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

The gofundme has passed €30,000. Wonderful to see, but I wonder how far it will go when all the bills and costs are factored in. Hopefully it makes a huge difference.

Conchir wrote: »
    The gofundme has passed €30,000. Wonderful to see, but I wonder how far it will go when all the bills and costs are factored in. Hopefully it makes a huge difference.

I think that the immediate concern was that the poor man's wife didn't have any money left to stay in Dublin. assuming the 30k isn't taxed (hopefully not) should allow her to remain in Ireland at her husband's side. but if he doesn't improve longer term may be only temporary solace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm not sure how it can all be stopped

How about the guards getting off their arses and doing their jobs - perhaps patrolling the likely parks and streets at peak activity times?  People don't seem surprised that the accident happened so it's obviously going on all the time.  They might even catch a few drug dealers and prevent other anti-social behaviours while they're at it.  I was turning my car just beside one of the local parks and was mesmerised to see a young chap in school uniform playing horsey atop his girlfriend - at least I hope she was - with three other lads in uniforms watching.  It was quite violent looking and I regret now that I didn't park my car and walk past them to check that she was ok.  I'm not so old that I don't remember past quite clearly but take it behind a tree and cut out the voyeurs.  A couple of guards walking through the park a couple of times would give people pause for thought.
    The guards can't stop them , if you've ever been out there, they don't give a flying *uck about a couple of Garda, Even if they do catch them in the park is there even a law they are breaking ??
    Plus as already said if the Guards give chase one of them will crash or cause someone else to crash and it'll be bad news for the Guards,
    Only way to stop them is to get warrants and take the bikes from there homes but I don't think the Guards have that power,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

was it always thus? has there always been a contingent in society who have absolutely no respect for other people and absolutely no fear of the law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i know its a cold thing to say...but wouldn't been better for all concerned had this man died instantly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

fryup wrote: »
    i know its a cold thing to say...but wouldn't been better for all concerned had this man died instantly ?
    ehhh

What lense are you viewing this through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the lense of life....and lets face it this man (god love him) has no life now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

How about the guards getting off their arses and doing their jobs - perhaps patrolling the likely parks and streets at peak activity times? People don't seem surprised that the accident happened so it's obviously going on all the time. They might even catch a few drug dealers and prevent other anti-social behaviours while they're at it. I was turning my car just beside one of the local parks and was mesmerised to see a young chap in school uniform playing horsey atop his girlfriend - at least I hope she was - with three other lads in uniforms watching. It was quite violent looking and I regret now that I didn't park my car and walk past them to check that she was ok. I'm not so old that I don't remember past quite clearly but take it behind a tree and cut out the voyeurs. A couple of guards walking through the park a couple of times would give people pause for thought.

The guards are pissing against the wind...…
    Put them in front of a judge to hand them their 80th previous conviction and let them walk straight out the front door....
    Couple of years of that sh!te and the guards must lose all purpose.
    Scumbags then have no respect for the law because of lack of consequences.
    I'm surprised there isn't more incidents like in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

fryup wrote:

Harsh but true. I've seen a person in that state for 30 years, there's no upside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

As a country, we really should be more ashamed that we don't deal with this. A civilised country shouldn't have any "no-go areas"
    The people who should be ashamed are those guilty of this behaviour - this collective responsibility stuff sounds very worthy but what exactly should we do? Others who should be ashamed are negligent parents and those who have the "Ah sher it's only kids - we were all young once" attitude (it's incredible at times the things for which that line gets used). The self entitled, not-giving-a-**** about anyone else outlook is prevalent among many Irish people but what can be done to make them change their outlook?

I don't blame the guards - what they can do is so limited and they are terribly under-resourced.

Legislation appears to need a rehaul too - often the judge and jury's hands are tied because of the way the existing legislation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Isn't completely cold, there are such thing's as fate's worse than death. Poor guy certainly doesnt deserve this.

Honestly the guards are caught in a damned if you do or dont situation. They're stuck in a situation where they cant do anything without possibly ending up with a worse outcome. Scramblers shouldn't be allowed to be owned by anyone under 18 anyways, they're motorised vehicles i'm suprised they can't take these off them like the did with that dude with his "motorised" bicycle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Driving past the Blanchardstown Centre today I saw an idiot of maybe 16 or 17 go flying through the roundabout just ahead of me on a scrambler. That he paid no attention to traffic coming from any other direction was bad enough, but to do it while pulling a wheelie and not wearing a helmet redefines stupidity. And while I'm not necessarily proud of it, there was a tiny part of me disappointed that he managed to complete the whole manoeuvre unscathed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The guards can't stop them , if you've ever been out there, they don't give a flying *uck about a couple of Garda, Even if they do catch them in the park is there even a law they are breaking ??
    Plus as already said if the Guards give chase one of them will crash or cause someone else to crash and it'll be bad news for the Guards,
    Only way to stop them is to get warrants and take the bikes from there homes but I don't think the Guards have that power,

Customs and Excise have the power to enter homes and they could be backed up by the guards? Not sure what excuse they could use but I'm sure there must be something. My son has a motocross bike. He pushes it half a mile to the field where he can use it and pushes it half a mile home. Maybe the government could set up someplace supervised for the kids to ride and keep the scramblers? Not all of them would avail of it but enough would.
    Lackey wrote: »
    The guards are pissing against the wind...…
    Put them in front of a judge to hand them their 80th previous conviction and let them walk straight out the front door....
    Couple of years of that sh!te and the guards must lose all purpose.
    Scumbags then have no respect for the law because of lack of consequences.
    I'm surprised there isn't more incidents like in Cork

Time to give the Gardaí new powers so. What's the point of a police force that cannot or will not police? Ireland seems to be becoming a land of no-go areas and pockets of people who consider themselves to be above the law and nobody including the guards want to disabuse them of that notion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Zaph wrote: »
    Driving past the Blanchardstown Centre today I saw an idiot of maybe 16 or 17 go flying through the roundabout just ahead of me on a scrambler. That he paid no attention to traffic coming from any other direction was bad enough, but to do it while pulling a wheelie and not wearing a helmet redefines stupidity. And while I'm not necessarily proud of it, there was a tiny part of me disappointed that he managed to complete the whole manoeuvre unscathed.

A tiny part jaysus I open a bottle every time natural selection takes a hand, its the only justice there is and at least it saves the tax payer hundreds of thousands of euro on a runt that will never contribute anything but possible more runts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I've been working in Ballymun and Neilstown/Quarryvale in Clondalkin over the last 7 years.I've witnessed the problems spoken of here first hand, sometimes on a weekly basis. 2 very good friends of mine are gardai working in the same area. They both say that nothing can realistically be done about the scrambler problem, at least given the current red tape and legislation. The gardai will never chase the kids on the scrambler because the reckless scumbag driving it will often become even more reckless and endanger members of the public trying to escape.

One poor lad who had recently moved to Quarryvale left his car parked outside his house and had headed out for a few pints with his mates. He came back to find a gang of feral scumbags on scramblers had placed ramps up against the back of his car and they were driving over the top of the car as their scumbag friends cheered them on while recording them on their phones. Gardai were called and nobody as ever held to account for it. I suppose no one was hurt at least.

Sometimes the gardai will impound the bikes when they find them briefly unattended but they are cheaply bought again by idiotic parents.

I have had to deal with these types of parents more times than I can count over the last few years and some of them are truly beyond hope. They just don't care about anyone apart from themselves. They are utterly irresponsible for a variety of reasons (substance abuse, alcohol abuse, profound laziness etc...) and the kids they produce don't have a chance. It is criminal that they are allowed to be anywhere near children, let alone have kids of their own.

What happened to the poor man in Darndale is devastating but unless the powers that be in this country have the political will and courage to make the necessary changes nothing will change.

Parents need to be held financially and legally accountable for the behaviour of their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Zaph wrote: »

We can only hope Natural selection will catch up with him some day!

Star Bingo wrote: »
    A kids motorbike club seems odd, there’s promising careers on bmx’s too but it seems they want horsepower one way or the other to do the leg work

Tymon’s a great park, used to walk all the way up there just to cover the circumference then back. Can’t imagine it spoiled by that racket..
    They always gather just opposite the Penny Black and rip up the road and into the park

Star Bingo wrote: »

They always gather just opposite the Penny Black and rip up the road and into the park

• Advertisement
Advertisement