Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorists intentionally spraying cyclists with windscreen washer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I don't think anyone has been trolling you but there is a report function if you are not happy with posts.

Personally I think that you are making a big deal of it and have accused someone, both without backing it up. It's not like saying you were buzzed by a red VW Golf and leaving it like that. You have named the company involved. Boards allows videos that haven't been edited (see the motors dash cam thread or the cycling close passes one as there are tonnes there).

If all you really want is the windscreen washer realigned then the best course of action is contacting the company direct rather than naming and shaming on the internet.

I still haven't come across the situation while out on the bike. Not that it doesn't happen. I think this is the first time I ever heard of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Pompous wrote: »

The worker has thus far not been identified. In the event that I posted the video, the worker would now be identified. But since the video is in agreement with my comments, no defamation has taken place.

As case law has proved in this country you only need to be identifiable to your colleagues for legal action to be taken and won .

So someone could start an action and you then would be required to show your video to an appropriate person

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

If all you really want is the windscreen washer realigned then the best course of action is contacting the company direct rather than naming and shaming on the internet.

I am taking that action, and others. It was not my intention to name and shame, I should have left the company name out of it. Honest mistake.
    SPDUB wrote: »
    As case law has proved in this country you only need to be identifiable to your colleagues for legal action to be taken and won .

So someone could start an action and you then would be required to show your video to an appropriate person

Nobody has been identified or could be identified based on what I have said here. Anyway, if an action was started I would gladly show my video in court :) I'm just not going to provide it to be picked apart by the boards vultures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I think this is the first time I ever heard of it though.

Its right up there with the following:

1. A passenger attempting to punch me in the face
    2. Verbal abuse for no reason from a Motorist
    3. Having items thrown at me from a moving car.
    4. Having fireworks thrown at me on Halloween by a group of youths

All the above have happened......once or twice over the last 40 years of cycling.

<self snip>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To be fair, you are right, I thought from your previous post you had a video of the incident. Now while I suspect you are 100% correct and by the drivers demeanor, I would err on your side but in the video you have put up, he was very professional and knew enough not to rise up.

CramCycle wrote: »
    To be fair, you are right, I thought from your previous post you had a video of the incident. Now while I suspect you are 100% correct and by the drivers demeanor, I would err on your side but in the video you have put up, he was very professional and knew enough not to rise up.

"Put the phone away and I'll talk to you"

There is a reason he was being professional :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

positron wrote: »
    I get sprayed often when riding motorbike, usually when I catch-up with the car ahead and waiting for an opportunity to overtake, or waiting for them to move over from the overtaking lane on motorways etc. Its not too bad as I have full face helmet and waterproof gear head to toe, way more unpleasant if you get sprayed while out cycling.

Was just going to post exactly the same thing. When Im on a motorbike and filtering between two lanes of slow traffic Ive often been sprayed, at least 20 or 30 times over the years. People dont exactly look in their rear view mirror before deciding to use their windscreeen washers so it happens, you just deal with it. Its never happened me on a bicycle but if it did I wouldnt be thinking it is deliberate.

CramCycle wrote: »

I thought the same.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Its right up there with the following:

1. A passenger attempting to punch me in the face
    2. Verbal abuse for no reason from a Motorist
    3. Having items thrown at me from a moving car.
    4. Having fireworks thrown at me on Halloween by a group of youths

All the above have happened......once or twice over the last 40 years of cycling.

I haven’t been cycling as often or as long as you. I haven’t experienced any of the above. I’d prefer not to experience it.

• Advertisement

I thought the same.

Yeah my bad, I see that now. I don't have footage of the spray hitting me because I don't cycle with a camera, but it is still super obvious from the video that I'm telling the truth about what happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

There a lad in work who's always complaining about cyclists, says he does this (wiper spray when passing) regularly if held up by cyclists, doubt he's the only one, people change when enclosed in their metal boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

This time of year people may be more likely to use their windscreen spray a bit more with a combination of dust and sunlight make viewing through the windscreen a bit tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I couldnt imagine anyone being petty enough to do it on purpose but then again....
    someone who had rented a van had taken the time to ensure the windscreen sprayer sprayed cyclists rather than the windscreen itself? that's dedication.
    Not that impressive. I was more impressed with people who found several rocks in the city centre to throw at me. Some will head off to the shops and buy eggs in advance, and have to walk about for hours with delicate eggs in their pockets. Not that's dedication, and risky on their part.

I was reading, maybe only in the UK, but spraying people with any liquid is assault. In these days of acid attacks I would have no problem destroying some cnut, or their vehicle, who sprayed me with anything.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Then some dude (previous water pistol victim I assume) rocked up on his road bike in between me and the lads and emptied/sprayed the content of his water bottle all over them, front and back, the dash, the radio, the statnav, and the expensive upholstery. Didn't even unclip...
    I just hope it was not plain water, a nice sticky & salty sports drink would have definitely fried the electronics. Might be criminal damage but what are they going to tell the cops?
    Oops69 wrote: »
    more cyclist paranoia ... relax lads , the world isn't out to get you.... most people dont care about you .

maybe you missed this bit...
    Pompous wrote: »
    When I chased him to his location and asked him why, he said because I was cycling on the bus lane instead of the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭plodder

rubadub wrote: »
    I was reading, maybe only in the UK, but spraying people with any liquid is assault.
    It's the same here, if it's done deliberately, and before anyone asks about the fire brigade hosing down marathon runners, it has to be a situation where the behaviour is unwanted, and would be generally understood to be unacceptable. So, intentionally spraying a cyclist with a windscreen washer would be assault, as would squirting your bottle in the window at them. The first might be harder to prove though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Advertisement