Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a new bike?

Options
  • 15-10-2017 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I’m new to cycling (may 17) decided to get one on BTW.. Hoping for some wisdom from more experienced riders.

Got a Giant Contend II for €850.. Have really enjoyed putting in the km’s over the summer. Started out averaging early 20’s kmph now I’m fitter and lighter I’m up on the 30 mark. The contend weights around 8kg I think, not fully carbon. It’s a decent bike but I’m really struggling to move off this plateau of 30kmph ave. is it the bike or is it me? Would a trade in/upgrade get me up or is it just more miles. I struggle on steep climbs too, mainly due to my own size (85kg) I’m tempted to believe lighter bike different gear set would ease that. Am i being too big for my boots, just enjoy the progress I have made and wait to get naturally quicker?
    Thanks for reading and in advance for replying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

30 kmh on your own is pretty fast.

What distances and terrain are you covering on your cycles?

Realistically you'll get more improvement dropping weight on your frame than the bikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a lighter bike will obviously help on climbs, but will just be a percentage point or two in terms of difference in weight - you probably weigh near 100KG all in, but would probably cost a grand or two to drop 2KG by focusing on the bike weight.

also as mentioned above, 30km/h is a pretty decent average on your own! i don't think i've managed to hit that myself and and fairly pleased with my fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you want to go faster on the flat get a bike with a lower front end, or use structured training, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Distances depend on my free time but Doing anything up to 100km on mostly flattish but not always, have good climbs on my doorstep. If I head up the average would drop back to mid 20. I know my own weight is the real problem, I’m 6ft so realistically I can only hope to drop a certain healthy amount. Not overweight really. Not since I took up bike riding at least. Just want to be consistent in a plus 30 average. Willing to pay for it with money as well as effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Distances depend on my free time but Doing anything up to 100km on mostly flattish but not always, have good climbs on my doorstep. If I head up the average would drop back to mid 20. I know my own weight is the real problem, I’m 6ft so realistically I can only hope to drop a certain healthy amount. Not overweight really. Not since I took up bike riding at least. Just want to be consistent in a plus 30 average. Willing to pay for it with money as well as effort!

What groupset have you on your contend?! Bought the tiagra version mid August. Great bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Remember that as you get faster your progress will slow. Also the power it takes to increase from 25 kmph to 26 is much lower than the power needed to go from 30 to 31. The faster you go the more air drag, which is the main thing you have to over come when not on a steep hill.
    It's not the bike, I train on a bike worth under €800 and race on one worth over €3k and I'm only slightly slower on the cheaper one.
    Is there any good club you can join? Training with lads faster than you is a good way to improve.

It’s not the bike it’s me! The words I didn’t want to hear but knew deep down haha.. So keep my cash and keep pedalling seems to be the consensus.. I do Nearly all my spins solo, some with friends. Probably Able for a club now and not disgrace myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Definitely no fear of you going on a club spin with that speed solo. Most clubs will have different groups to cover different level of fitness. If you have never cycled in a decent sized group before you will find it interesting how easy it is at the back and how difficult it can be up front. This will give you intervals of hard work then recovery, that type of interval training can bring fitness levels on big time.
    I see you're from Tipp also, plenty of good clubs to pick from in this county.

Ya I did the Kelly sportive in August and coasted the first 30km without even trying! First experience with a big group I felt I was entitled to wheel suck a bit at the start. I think I have my answer anyway.

Advertisement