Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing what I think is a buckle in D7

Options
  • 09-10-2017 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have recommendation on where I go to get what I think is a buckle fixed. My daughter collided with another bike while trying to avoid a pedestrian (on the path on Griffith ave') and crashed badly. Ambulance called etc. She had taken the helmet off cause he mates don't wear one! Anyway, seems to have buckled her wheel badly in the crash or else bent the rim, hopefully not though.

I'm in D7 so ideally wouldn't have to travel too far to get fixed. Any ideas where I can go and what it will cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Humphries Cycles
    McKee Road
    Finglas

http://humphriescycles.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read the thread title first as 'D7 itself is buckled'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

D7 - Either Humphries above, Bike Institute on Dorset Street or Cyclezone in Blanchardstown Village. Youre kind of in the middle of all three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Probably as easy to replace the wheel. What sort of bike is It?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Would have thought fixing it might be a lot cheaper?

It's the 2017 version of this, it's less than a month old

https://www.liv-cycling.com/ie/alight-3-2018
    Alight 3

• Advertisement

Front wheel I presume? If it's wobbling from side to side it might be able to be trued up, if the rim is bent inwards i.e. not a true circle it can't be fixed.

jca wrote:
    Front wheel I presume? If it's wobbling from side to side it might be able to be trued up, if the rim is bent inwards i.e. not a true circle it can't be fixed.

Its the back wheel. It's wobbling from side to side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Take to one of the above recommended bike shops and ask their advice. Difficult for anyone to know unless they look at it, but I'd assume it could be fixed.

If badly damaged, could be rebuilt using a new rim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not to be flippant but its a €400 bike, the wheels will be budget wheels so you'll probably buy another replacement wheel for less than the price of a rebuild/repair (have the shop swap over the tires).

From D7 Humphries or Cyclezone would be my choices, and of the two I'd favor Cyclezone.

Unless it's a small wobble that can be pulled I'd say a new wheel is needed. They aren't that expensive.

• Advertisement

Not to be flippant but its a €400 bike, the wheels will be budget wheels so you'll probably buy another replacement wheel for less than the price of a rebuild/repair (have the shop swap over the tires).

From D7 Humphries or Cyclezone would be my choices, and of the two I'd favor Cyclezone.

No, no problem with that, didn't realise they were so cheap.

Do you recommend the same shops for a wheel? Also happy to buy one and fit myself.

No, no problem with that, didn't realise they were so cheap.

Do you recommend the same shops for a wheel? Also happy to buy one and fit myself.

You won't be able to take the block off unless you have an extractor and a good vice attached to a decent bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

There's also City Cycles on Annamoe Terrace in Cabra or their other branch in Blackhall place, both Dublin 7.

http://citycycles.ie/

Thanks, ballpark of what I should be paying for a new wheel and fitting?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

vektarman wrote: »
    There's also City Cycles on Annamoe Terrace in Cabra or their other branch in Blackhall place, both Dublin 7.

http://citycycles.ie/

I thought they'd closed down. Shop was empty in Blackhall place last time I passed by, now that was a few months ago.

Folks in Rothar in Phibsborough could also advise you

Guy in CityCycles sorted it for me, the one in Cabra.
    Got some insight into why the place in Blackhall closed down too.

Cost 15€ and the guy was really helpful.

Advertisement