Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gazelle Populair T8 front light not working...

Options
  • 04-10-2017 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi.

I just bought a Gazelle Populair, the bike is well maintained, although the front light seems not to be working.

The light is a B&M Lumotec Retro N, I already unmounted it and when I did it I noticed that the rear light started to work, I then unplugged the rear light to see if the front work but it didn't. I research the web and I found the manual, although I didn't understand it since I have no idea of electricity at this level, and may be easy, but I just didn't get it...

The manual can be found here if anyone want to have a look and maybe explain me in plain English...

en.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Anleitungen/1706d.pdf

I also took some pics so you can see the light and how it is connected and maybe help me out.
    If after all I have to take the bike to an electrician, it's ok, but I really wanna try to solve this mystery with your help, if possible.

Since I can't post images embedded within URLs I'll leave the link without the http so you can copy it and see the image.

1. Hub Connection which is good!
    ibb.co/geN8Yw
    2. From the Hub it is connected to the frame
    ibb.co/m3fHRG
    3. To the frame it goes up to the head set
    ibb.co/e1bD0b
    4. From the head set has this connection and extra sockets that I don't know have to have any wire attached to.
    ibb.co/jRDFDw
    5. Rear light
    ibb.co/hGpBmG

The bulb of the light seems to be intact, I mean does not look burned or broken. I will try to plug the light straight to the hub and see if I can get it to work, but in the middle time, if any of you have any ideas or deal with this before, please post your ideas, will be highly appreciated.

thank so much for your time.

Best regards,

Roger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Try the Dutch Bike Shop in Goats town. They sell and service these bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If your light is faulty, I have a Lumotec Lyn B taken off an e-bike I can give you for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=2.0

Post here and wait for Kim to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I'm wondering if there is an earthing issue with the front light? I cannot make out from the photos but does the earth wire (the one with the white stripe) connect to the earth terminal on the outside of the front lamp body or does it go into the lamp body itself?

With a Shimano dynohub, it can earth through the axle and into the frame but requires a good path through the headset which isn't always the case, hence the need for the earth wire from the "chocolate block" connector at the hub up to the lamp. Plus I think the Lumotec has a plastic body and may not ground through the light bracket and needs the wired earth.

So dynohub earth to lamp external earth spade (@ rear of lamp body) and from the external rear lamp earth spade to the rear light earth connection.

Dynohub live/power/hot wire (can be referred to by various designations) to terminal inside Lumotec body (according to manual) and from the external rear lamp power terminal on the Lumotec to the rear lamp.

Otherwise, the dynamo is probably shorting out though the frame via the front lamp and hence no light.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

Shimano hub dynamos usually have one connection earthed in the hub. If the wiring was crossed at connection to headlight, this would cause a short circuit, possibly why the tail light worked when the headlight was removed.
    Another possibility, the connection to the headlight bulb is via bare flexible wire. If the insulation on the wire is not stripped back enough (4-5mm) the insulation may prevent contact between bulb and wire. If too much insulation is stripped off the wire may reach to touch the back (earthed) contact and cause short circuit.

The bulb can be checked using a 3V flashlamp battery (or 2 x AA cells stacked taped together)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Roger.

Al Wright wrote: »
    Shimano hub dynamos usually have one connection earthed in the hub. If the wiring was crossed at connection to headlight, this would cause a short circuit, possibly why the tail light worked when the headlight was removed.
    Another possibility, the connection to the headlight bulb is via bare flexible wire. If the insulation on the wire is not stripped back enough (4-5mm) the insulation may prevent contact between bulb and wire. If too much insulation is stripped off the wire may reach to touch the back (earthed) contact and cause short circuit.

The bulb can be checked using a 3V flashlamp battery (or 2 x AA cells stacked taped together)

Hi Al Wright, I did it, I tested the bulb... and, it is not working... Hurray!!! Thanks man. Actually thanks to all of you that took the time to answer!!!

Now, I'll get the replacement and try it again and see what happen, because may be that after changing it the bulb is still not working, but I have to get the bulb first.
    Alek wrote: »
    If your light is faulty, I have a Lumotec Lyn B taken off an e-bike I can give you for free...

If after doing this the light is not working at all, then I'll take your word and accept the light, I just don't want to be greedy. So I'll do it step by step, first change the bulb and see what happen and then move on to see the next options all of you guys gavem me.

Once again, thank you all!

Hi again guys.

I'm trying to get the bulb replacement for the front light but so far I didn't get any luck. For any chance any of you know where I can get it here in Dublin?

The exact reference according to the manual is "Halogen 6v/2.4w, HS3".

I tried in different stores today including bike stores but they do not have it. If any of you can give me an advise of where to go will be awesome.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://ie.farnell.com/c/lighting-products/lamps-tubes?supply-voltage=6v

You can order from them with expedited delivery, not sure if they allow collection like RS (cant find the equivalent part with them).

Hi ED E,

Thanks men, I did try just now and yes, I also couldn't find the equivalent there, but thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

HS3 is the bulb-shape - they are widely available in decent bike shops or online - Google "HS3 bulb" to see pictures of the shape you require. You don't necessarily need a halogen version, but it would be brighter than a regular one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement