Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1billion to build children's hospital

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't mind the prefab hospital to use as hospital beds. We could easily build a medical facility for general tasks and operations etc and then a bunch of prefab units for patient beds like the Chinese.

They could spend 2bn on this children's hospital and in 2-3 years they will find flaws. There is too much emphasis on designs that attempt perfection, fully in the knowledge that they will find non structural flaws a couple of years later.

A prefab hospital bed is still bed than a corridor at a Modern Super Hospital.

Get off. Go to Australia and have a look at how hospitals should be. Stop with this 3rd rate is good enough stuff. What they should do is legally binding fixed price contracts, with penalty clauses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

What I would like to know and what many more keep asking is why Bam are still getting all the contracts. Surely by now, the civil service have been giving enough scares by what going on with them.

Dan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

What I would like to know and what many more keep asking is why Bam are still getting all the contracts. Surely by now, the civil service have been giving enough scares by what going on with them.

Please elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't mind the prefab hospital to use as hospital beds. We could easily build a medical facility for general tasks and operations etc and then a bunch of prefab units for patient beds like the Chinese.
    A prefab hospital bed is still bed than a corridor at a Modern Super Hospital.
    And in ten years time when patients are being treated in the corridors of cold and draughty prefab buildings unfit for purpose, you'll stand by the decision to build any old rubbish instead of an actual hospital, yeah?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up the abandoned cities in China.

Buildings look amazing from a distance then you get close and bits crumbling away, cracks, huge cracks and much much more defects.

With all their bat sh1t crazy tradition etc they are mad in a lot of cases.

The absolute waste of resources and destroying natural habitat etc and rushing builds to make things look better then they are for the economy.

As soon as this outbreak happened flights should have been grounded as I well believe that the numbers are very much exaggerated or should I say down played.

That cough hospital will be a morgue.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And they will. This is going to be one of those projects that never stops costing stupid money. And all of us so-called nay-sayers will still be told we're wrong and that's just how things are.
    Find me an example of single large civil project anywhere on the planet that came in on time, on budget, and never cost a penny more after the fact.

Unrealistic expectations are the Irish state's real problem. We seem to have either bluffers or pessimists. No honest realists.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

don't agree with the cost going up and up ,but is'nt it great that we will have a a Children's hospital no matter what the cost to care for our children, no money can buy them they are so precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Where's the incentive for the Civil Service to act in the best interests of the Exchequer / Tax Payer though? No real skin off their nose either way. #jobforlife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

seamus wrote: »
    And in ten years time when patients are being treated in the corridors of cold and draughty prefab buildings unfit for purpose, you'll stand by the decision to build any old rubbish instead of an actual hospital, yeah?

I doubt it.

The prefabs can be replaced. It could be redone every 5-10 years.

Advertisement