Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Old People Be Banned from Voting?

Options
  • 09-11-2016 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Under 18’s can’t vote yet, which is fair enough. But once people have retired and sailed off into the sunset, or past the age of say, 70, are they still the best people to be deciding the future for everyone else? Previously, I would have thought they were, due to their experience and by virtue of the fact that they have paid their dues and contributed to society (most of them anyway) but I’m not so sure anymore.

While some are invaluable for their experience, many are disgruntled and out of touch with young and even middle aged people (the majority). The world has changed utterly over the last couple of decades, with so much uncertainty and volatility in the world these days (that is not going away, even the FT has reported that perhaps Volatility is simply here to stay now) and the rapid pace of change, are old people no longer the best at deciding the future? Older doesn’t necessarily seem to mean wiser anymore.

And I am not having a go at old people, as I am becoming one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

No, just dumb people!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

Wasn't this exact topic already done about a month ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

If, as you say young and middle-aged people are the majority, then what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Great idea OP.

Disenfranchise the people who fought and died for voting rights, democracy and civil rights.

Everyone gets the right to vote, once over 16/18, regardless of their political views. That's how democracy works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

tonygun wrote: »
    Wasn't this exact topic already done about a month ago?

Becoming forgetful?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think the weight of your vote should be valued according to how much land you have, including commonage and turbary rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You're assuming young and middle aged people are somehow more informed, educated and worldly.
    Thats one of the places your argument becomes a bit idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

People who don't vote they way I want them to should not be allowed to vote.

It's that simple.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think there should be some sort of basic intelligence test for people before they are granted the right to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

xzanti wrote: »
    I think there should be some sort of basic intelligence test for people before they are granted the right to vote.

Like during the Jim Crow era in southern US? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

xzanti wrote: »

Is that basic emotional intelligence,academic intelligence or social intelligence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Let's give everybody over the age of 70 two votes, they will keep the government from acting crazy and making wild promises to the young people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Population by age group, Census of Population 2011

Age Group .........Both sexes
    0 - 14 years ...... 979,590
    15 - 24 years ..... 580,250
    25 - 44 years ... 1,450,140
    45 - 64 years ... 1,042,879
    65 years+ ........... 535,393

OAPs are not such a big group, about 12%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I say one man, one vote. I'm the man, I get the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Disenfranchise the people who fought and died for voting rights, democracy and civil rights.

Can't have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The reaction of the middle class/educated cohort of society to both Brexit and Trump has been sad to witness. In both cases, the typical responses have been:

"This is what happens when uneducated people are allowed to vote..."

"People who voted for Trump/Brexit are stupid..."

And so on. What this suggests to me is that middle class people came to assume that somehow democracy belonged to them. That they, and they alone get to decide the outcome of elections.

I guess this explains the reactions we have been observing, but it really should come as no surprise to allegedly educated people that the working class are capable of resisting and overthrowing the wishes of the establishment - especially when they feel let down by said establishment - and that wanting this outcome does not make them ignorant or stupid, even if their decision may seem misguided to you.

Ironically, the only people who look ignorant in this are the ones throwing such accusations around. Expect more such results across the Western World, and more middle class bewilderment and snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Great idea OP.

Disenfranchise the people who died for voting rights, democracy and civil rights.

Sure why would dead people care?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No, once you're of eligible age to vote then we all have equal rights. That should never ever change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Once you are of age to vote that should be that. Age should no longer be a factor in whether or not you are allowed to continue to vote.

The elderly are citizens too, they have more life experiences than the rest of us, seen more change good and bad. Their opinions are not only valid but vital imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

wakka12 wrote: »
    No, once you're of eligible age to vote then we all have equal rights. That should never ever change

It says a lot about modern liberals, doesn't it? Let's ban voting for people who disagree with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Rezident wrote: »
    Under 18’s can’t vote yet, which is fair enough. But once people have retired and sailed off into the sunset, or past the age of say, 70, are they still the best people to be deciding the future for everyone else? Previously, I would have thought they were, due to their experience and by virtue of the fact that they have paid their dues and contributed to society (most of them anyway) but I’m not so sure anymore.

While some are invaluable for their experience, many are disgruntled and out of touch with young and even middle aged people (the majority). The world has changed utterly over the last couple of decades, with so much uncertainty and volatility in the world these days (that is not going away, even the FT has reported that perhaps Volatility is simply here to stay now) and the rapid pace of change, are old people no longer the best at deciding the future? Older doesn’t necessarily seem to mean wiser anymore.

And I am not having a go at old people, as I am becoming one.

:D... I'll get my coat.

I think people with a certain world view seem to make a lot
    of noise. Prevalence in the media amplifies it. This all goes in a
    cycle of reinforcement.

So today is a bit of a wake up call.
    Big shock to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Panrich

People with little to lose will often register their vote in the most disruptive way possible. The Brexit vote and the US election shows that many many people feel disenfranchised and have voted accordingly.
    Unfortunately the powerful corporations will continue to thrive at the expense of increasing numbers of disaffected citizens as job numbers and working conditions get worse and these results won't have any effect on that in the medium to long term.
    The gap between the haves and have nots continues to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The voting age should be dropped to 16. As soon as you're old enough to have a vote, you should have a say on how your taxes are spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The voting age should be dropped to 16. As soon as you're old enough to have a vote, you should have a say on how your taxes are spend.

Or perhaps get a vote when you start paying taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jericho Caine

Saipanne wrote: »
    It says a lot about modern liberals, doesn't it? Let's ban voting for people who disagree with us.

I don't want to ban voting for those I disagree with but if that is what has to be done to avert a disaster like today, I can live with that. It's a slippery slope either way, I am aware of that and I can live with it. It gets frustrating seeing progress hindered by people who are not educated or interested enough to inform themselves of what the consequences of these decisions are.
    It's difficult to not be frustrated by the stupidity and ignorance of much of humanity.

I'm watching Trump supporters being interviewed all night and this morning and I'm sorry, they just don't seem to be informed or intelligent.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Saipanne wrote: »

Well either that or just ban the parties/positions they vote for.

I mean do these people even watch John Oliver?? How on Earth can they be trusted to know what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Your Face wrote: »
    Or perhaps get a vote when you start paying taxes.

So, pretty much everyone from the age of around 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm watching Trump supporters being interviewed all night and this morning and I'm sorry, they just don't seem to be informed or intelligent.

Plenty of young, intelligent people voted for Trump too.

• Advertisement

they just don't seem to be informed or intelligent.

That is your perception and obviously subjective. Also information (to be informed) or raw data is insufficient of itself. You must have discernment. Wisdom even. And as for intelligence, there isn't even an agreed upon definition of it, never mind a metric. And because you say you are well informed I know you won't mention IQ tests.

And if we had this meritocracy of yours how would you feel if you were given no say because someone else felt they were more intelligent than you. Or do you think that you are the most intelligent person in the world.

This is all a bit extraneous anyway as the people you are looking down in in this incidence are probably much better informed and smarter than you.

Advertisement