Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tragic situation involving a neighbour's cat

• 03-11-2016 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for posting this in AH, I'd have posted in in Animals and Pets forum, but the content of this thread might strike a nerve with the community on that forum, so for that reason I'll park this thread here if that's OK. I might expect some more reasoned discourse here too.

My friend's alsatian killed a cat that ventured into her garden. Here's the background story.

A neighbour of a friend of mine has a few cats and my friend has a three-year-old alsatian. The cats would frequently pass through the garden (which my friend never minded about), but the alsatian was bothered with it and would often chase the cat away, the cats always got away on time.

However, her dad installed new overhanging trellises in the garden throughout the whole perimeter with flower boxes all around, (a bit like the one in the picture I've attached). No one in the house ever thought that it could impede the passage of the neighbourhood cats through the garden (they probably should have). The surface of the trellis is completely covered in.

We opened the door to let Lucy (the dog) out to pee, and walked towards the front of the house and suddenly heard screams like a banshee (presumably coming from the screeching cat) and barking noises.

We ran out and forced Lucy away from the cat, unfortunately, the poor thing passed away through the process. It obviously jumped into the garden and couldn't get out because of the trellises and the poor creature was cornered.

Such an awful death for the poor creature. I really feel sorry for the cat. However, the neighbour is trying to blame my friend and her family that the dog should have been more controlled and supervised when in the garden.

I realise that the dog has killed another creature and my friend is worried sick that the dog may have to be put to sleep. Her neighbour is adamant that she wants this and my friend is gutted that her dog and companion may have to go.
    Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? The situation is very, very sad. Please try to be civil here discussing this.

It happened yesterday.

Thanks for reading folks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I smell pussy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Your dog in your garden. If a random animal wanders in, there's not much you can do. Upsetting yes I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Tell the neighbour to fck off.....it happened in there garden where the cat shouldn't be

Maybe buy them a new cat to keep them chill??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

dfeo wrote: »
    My friend's alsatian killed a cat that ventured into her garden. Here's the background story.

No. The 'story' ended there.

Cat allowed out to do as it likey. Trespasses into private land and comes unstuck. Period.
    I mean, my god, how they'll wail and moan now. " It's their nature ", etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Dog's fine. Forget it. Let the neighbour construct a cat enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's awful but it happens. Have cats myself. Nothing will happen to the dog obviously, just following its nature (for some dogs). Probably should talk to the owner of the cat though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

They are to blame, if the dog is killing cats. Especially if it happened before it shows the dog isn't trained or kept in a suitable environment preventing it from killing other animals.

Hi Surreptitious, it didn't happen before, the dog would normally shoo the cat from the garden as most dogs would, she's a big softie with human visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Tell neighbour get ****ed and keep her cats under control if she is worried for their welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Neighbour is upset understandably. It's nonsense to punish the dog for reacting in this way though. It's what dogs do. Like cats catch birds. Like birds catch worms. It's nature.

If you owned a bird and it flew into neighbours garden and was caught by her cat would it be reasonable to ask to have the cat destroyed. No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A cat would easily get up that fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tell neighbor to f**k off.

Story ends

• Advertisement

A cat would easily get up that fence

Sep23, it's LIKE it but not the same. It's the most similar one I could find. Like I said, I can only assume that the cat became trapped. The trellis protrudes out 50cm or so, so when the cat claws up the fence, it'll be stopped by the trellis and the trellis is too high for the cat to reach without a middle ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I'm sure that before this incidident everyone thought the dog would never have hurt a cat, it was only the fun of the chase. What if next time it's someone else's dog that strays across the Alsatian? Or a person?
    Part of owning an animal is being responsible for what it does. If your dog craps, pick it up. If your cat straying upsets your neighbours take measures to deter it and apologise. If you own an animal with the potential to cause harm be damm sure that you can control it.
    The dog was only following its instincts the same as the cat was. Both owners are at fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

I'm sure that before this incidident everyone thought the dog would never have hurt a cat, it was only the fun of the chase. What if next time it's someone else's dog that strays across the Alsatian? Or a person?
    Part of owning an animal is being responsible for what it does. If your dog craps, pick it up. If your cat straying upsets your neighbours take measures to deter it and apologise. If you own an animal with the potential to cause harm be damm sure that you can control it.
    The dog was only following its instincts the same as the cat was. Both owners are at fault.

Wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

when the neighbour calms down they'll probably see this for what it is; nature taking its course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You'll probably actually get a more reasoned discussion in API.

As a dog and cat owner, unfortunately the majority of dogs would kill a cat if they had the chance, a cat that they didn't know, in their territory especially. It is incredibly upsetting for the owners of both animals, but I doubt very much that the cat has never killed another animal, a bird, mouse etc. Nobody screams for the cat to be put to be sleep when that happens.

Legally, I don't think the cat owners can do anything, dogs have to have licences, cats don't, they are viewed as vermin, and really have no legal rights.

The dog is a restricted breed, but was on private land, so that legislation doesn't apply. I would suggest that your friend gets a dog licence and ensures the dog is chipped, if not already done, in case the dog warden does call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Hope the dog is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Nonsense. We have had dogs and cats over the years that caught mice rabbits birds rats etc. I'm fairly sure some of the dogs would have killed a cat if they could get it. Never any problems with kids or adults around any of the dogs.

The dog was in the owners closed back garden. If the owner of the cat was so worried about it they shouldn't have let it roam the neighbourhood. Nothing will happen to the dog or the owner. It's just nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

At the end of the day it was a cat and not a child, it happened on private property and not on public land. In short, the neighbour wouldn't have any legal right to expect the dog to be put down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Wrong

Seconded.

Cats are fair game to a dog if they impede on their territory. 99% of the time the cat will win. This is the 1%. It happens. Dog was in a controlled environment on owners property. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

FortySeven wrote: »
    Seconded.

Cats are fair game to a dog if they impede on their territory. 99% of the time the cat will win. This is the 1%. It happens. Dog was in a controlled environment on owners property. End of.

I agree as well, and I own or owned both dogs and cats. Dogs will try to attack cats given the opportunity, and this particular cat clearly wandered onto this particular dog's territory. That trellis is nothing for an adult cat to climb on BTW, I've seen cats scaling bigger overhanging structures.

It would be different if your friend's dog attacked the cat on the road, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭StanleyOllie

Dog was only doing what comes naturally. Dog was on private property. Cat was let out at owners risk. If cat killed mouse or rat would they have wanted to have cat put down. Yes its sad for owner but the dog wont have to be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

A dog owner is only liable for damage done by their dog to another person, or to livestock (which doesn’t include cats). There is the possibility that the cat owner could petition the District Court to have the dog classified as a “dangerous dog”, and then put to sleep, but on those grounds it’s highly unlikely they’d succeed. Tell your friend not to capitulate, if this is the only violent act it has ever committed there is no reason for it to be put down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I agree with all muddy paws has to say.

Make sure your friend has a licence for his/her dog. Here's a link.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/Dog+Licence/dog_licence.htm

Getting the dog chipped is excellent advice too, maybe the dog is already.

This is a very upsetting for both pet owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

We ran out and forced Lucy away from the cat, unfortunately, the poor thing passed away through the process. It obviously jumped into the garden and couldn't get out because of the trellises and the poor creature was cornered.

Next time, peg it in to the ditch and let on nothing.

Then give the dag a treat.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies so far. The dog is chipped and there is a valid license for her. She isn't a pure German Shepherd, by the way, she's GS with God-knows-what and she's from the shelter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tha uncontrolled wandering cat had probably clobbered all the native wildlife in a decent radius, and the owner is throwing a wobbler about a dog contained in a back garden?

Your friend should do absolutely nothing. No action required here.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies so far. The dog is chipped and there is a valid license for her. She isn't a pure German Shepherd, by the way, she's GS with God-knows-what and she's from the shelter.

Thanks for that feedback. I don't think your friend has anything to worry about.

pwurple wrote: »
    Tha uncontrolled wandering cat had probably clobbered all the native wildlife in a decent radius, and the owner is throwing a wobbler about a dog contained in a back garden?

Your friend should do absolutely nothing. No action required here.

Totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The dog should be controlled at all times. But the cat can wander around into anyone's garden. Bit of a double standard. Tell her to get ****ed.

Alsatian is a stupid made up word. Its a German Shepherd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 SeanieMon

It's nature, what does the neighbor expect? Some dogs may kill cats, it's tragic but it's reality... The neighbor really needs to get a grip. There are people walking the streets who have murdered other human beings, yet someone wants to put a dog down for it's natural, instinctive compulsion... Might sound an extreme analogy, but the doggy lives in my opinion. Long live the dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Its a sad story for the cat owner op but the cats will do what they do and so will dogs. What's even more sad is the fact you were apprehensive about posting it in the Animals and Pets forum, just goes to show how bad its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Horrible thing to happen, the poor cat. At the end of the day the dog was secure in her owners garden and the neighbours cat should not have been there. I'd apologise for the cat being killed but they'd be met with a swift F uck off if they demanded my dog be put to sleep. Was up to her to ensure the cat wasn't roaming into dangerous situations. If it was a speeding car would she demand the driver lose his licence?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Alsatian is a stupid made up word. Its a German Shepherd.

You know the name German Shepherd isn't much older? Nor the breed itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

RB legislation applies to the breeds mentioned and crosses and strains of them, so she would still be covered by that legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Really annoying that actually.A legal requirement to have a dog licence,but cats are free to roam unlicenced into other peoples property,upsetting their dogs and often crawling all over cars scratching the paint work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

It is a sad situation alright but these thing happen unfortunately. If the dog had gotten into the neighbours garden and did it I would understand the neighbours being p*ssed, but the dog was in its own garden. The cat was trespassing. No argument there.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Can I borrow your dog for a few nights?
    Couple of cats in my neighbourhood getting a bit too big for their boots....

magentis wrote: »
    Really annoying that actually.A legal requirement to have a dog licence,but cats are free to roam unlicenced into other peoples property,upsetting their dogs and often crawling all over cars scratching the paint work

It's an unfortunate situation magnetis, I've hairline scratches on my own car from neighbourhood cats (I can only presume). I'd never resort to hurting the creatures though.

I have a cairn terrier cross myself, who "yaps" at my own neighbours cat coming into the garden (I'm guilty of encouraging it by offering her bits of stewing beef and petting it), we're good friends (with the cat !!) :P I think she's copped on that my dog is no more of a threat than a shadow and just looks at him when he's barking :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I grey up in the country side. Our cats would always be bring dead birds/rabbits/rats/mice home. I think, but I'm not sure, that the dog might have once. It's in their nature to do these things.

Imagine if the cat had have killed a neighbours rabbit or something like that. Would the neighbour want their cat put down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

#trellisenvy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 conacks

To put it into perspective, if the neighbor had trespassed into your friends garden she would be within her rights to attack her if she felt threatened so why not for the dog......

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I think the neighbour is trying scare tactics, and i'm sorry for their loss..... actually i'm not, i don't like cats but no body set out to purposely kill the cat. I wonder why the neighbour thinks they have a case? private property and all that.

i think they are off their heads, to threaten etc. I am assuming they are "getting away" with abusing and threatening behaviour because they think the dog owner owes them something. or they feel they can. huh.

It's nature. Hope they don't get another cat. It might go the same way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

What did ye do with the cat? Curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

#catprivilege :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Strange to see a dog kill a cat, it's usually the cat who would be in control 99% of time.
    Cats don't take crap from dogs. Cats take on pitbulls, bears, mountain lions and win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

OP, I would recommend your friend keeps a very keen and watchful eye out for the health and safety of her dog; The neighbour strikes me as a complete idiot (surprise, surprise...) and I wouldn't put it past her/him to try and take the "matter" in their own hands, if they think the dog should be "put down". Throwing a meatball laced with poison over the fence and the dog getting to it is a matter of a second; I wouldn't let her out in the garden alone for the time being and until the question is "resolved" (if there could be such a thing as a resolution, with certain kind of people).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's only a smelly cat mate. It wandered into another garden. The cats owners are at fault. Simple as. Tell em t fcuk right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if they're doolally enough to think your dog should be put down for this, they may be doolally enough to try and poison your dog if they don't get their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- The next person to advocate animal cruelty in this thread is getting a very long ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A horrible thing to witness, and tragic for the cats owner. Those are the only two things this situation is, though. Cats wander. Dogs chase cats. Sometimes dogs catch cats. Sometimes cats that get caught scratch the bejaysus out of dogs.

I'm sure if the cat survived by tearing the dog's eyes out your pal would be laughed out of it if they went and blamed the cat's owner for not adequately controlling it. And rightly so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement