Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Cork produce the greatest sports people in Ireland

Options
  • 12-08-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

After watching the rowing today and seeing the efforts of those 2 cork boys it got me thinking does cork produce the best athletes in this country. I'm not Fri cork myself bbut in fairness to them they must be best sports county in the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cork seems to have a wide range of sports.
    A great long tradition in a wide range. That's why they tend to some one or team from Cork in most things.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Conor McGregor isn't from Cork?

/runs

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Nah....their shte at hurling

#upthedeise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

If Katie Taylor, Brian o Driscoll, and Rory McIlroy are from Cork, then Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Some great runners from Cark.

Sonia O'Sullivan won a couple of medals...Roy Keane ran out on a few teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

If you re-arrange the letters in ROG you get GOD, if you add a D and remove the R that is...

To say we are best, would be ridicolous. It is the range of sports partaken in Cork tends to throw up performers in various disciplines.
    GAA for example does not have the draw on the best athletes in the county. There is a strong rugby club with close to a century of tradition in almost all towns.

Mentioning rowing, There is also a big participation in the other rowing event of open/sea water rowing in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just think how much quicker they'd be without those chips on their shoulders over not being the bestest and only capital city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Yes. The 'Real' Capital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭SebastianT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Some great runners from Cark.

Sonia O'Sullivan won a couple of medals...Roy Keane ran out on a few teams.

Running anywhere with 7 Premier League, 4 FA Cup and a Champions League medal in your back pocket is great going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Yes. The 'Real' Capital.

And as if by magic......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

ThisRegard wrote: »
    And as if by magic......

Must have been a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Don't forget Denis Irwin. Class act

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Kerry Immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Cork people are great competitors and it is in their nature to strive for perfection.
    There is a "no give in" attitude in Cork and it is this makes us the best county in Ireland.
    Living and working in Skibbereen and being from Cobh (Sonia land) I think that I am more than qualified to have this opinion!!!!!
    "Close the eyes and pull like a dog!!!"

You mention Sonia and Roy. But Denis Irwin would have been rated higher for his team by Alex. Derval O'Rourke also performed so well in key International athletic events. The fastest woman in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Sonia"The Big D"O'Sullivan,
    Christy Ringpiece...the list goes on.

Yes,true champions the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Water John wrote: »
    You mention Sonia and Roy. But Denis Irwin would have been rated higher for his team by Alex. Derval O'Rourke also performed so well in key International athletic events. The fastest woman in Ireland.

Ferguson would only say something like that because Keane and him don't get on.Nothing to do with actual ability and influence on a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

They have produced their fair share. I spend a lot of time in cork and can see the general passion for sport. I like that they aren't pure GAA heads, they have a well rounded interest in all sport. I guess that has a lot to do with the fact that it has a large urban area.

I hate when GAA heads bash soccer. As a young urban Dub, spending hours on the road trying to simply keep possession of the football was everything. I can't think of any other sport that you can just play anywhere on a whim. Another thing they bash about is the diving and label players as pansies. They are far from soft, they are simply acting to cheat the ref. That is the fault of the governing bodies and rule makers. We were far from soft playing schoolboy soccer. You'd have to punch a lad to just get a yellow card!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Don't forget the Ballinacurra Hare, John Joe Somethingorother, wasn't he from Cork too, or somewhere down the bog inanyways ?

• Advertisement

Present day Ferguson yes. But back when Keane was playing he knew damn well that he was the most important player he ever managed!

This was long before they fell out. Alex said Irwin's name was the first down on the team sheet every game. Absolutely dependable and took the penalties.

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    They have produced their fair share. I spend a lot of time in cork and can see the general passion for sport. I like that they aren't pure GAA heads, they have a well rounded interest in all sport. I guess that has a lot to do with the fact that it has a large urban area.

I hate when GAA heads bash soccer. As a young urban Dub, spending hours on the road trying to simply keep possession of the football was everything. I can't think of any other sport that you can just play anywhere on a whim. Another thing they bash about is the diving and label players as pansies. They are far from soft, they are simply acting to cheat the ref. That is the fault of the governing bodies and rule makers. We were far from soft playing schoolboy soccer. You'd have to punch a lad to just get a yellow card!

My experience of the internet has shown me that despite many many people saying "GAA heads" like to bash soccer it is mainly the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Only in Cork boy!!!!!!!

This was long before they fell out. Alex said Irwin's name was the first down on the team sheet every game. Absolutely dependable and took the penalties.

A completely disingenuous opinion though.Put a gun to his head and he'd want Keane on his team every time ahead of Irwin.

My experience of the internet has shown me that despite many many people saying "GAA heads" like to bash soccer it is mainly the other way around.

There is a bit of that I will admit. Personally my favourite is soccer but I am a big Dublin football fan and I play hurling with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Yes Cork have produced Irelands best sportspeople without a shadow of a doubt. W
    s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sonia"The Big D"O'Sullivan,
    Christy Ringpiece...the list goes on.

What, to a full stop? You've got both of them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cork has won more medals at the Olympics in the last 24 hours than Ireland has in the last four years.

So there.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

And not one mention of Olympic Bronze medalist and world champion Rob Heffernan yet! :D

Advertisement