Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter bike

• 11-10-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

What do people recommend as a winter bike and what are you riding this winter as thinking about getting a winter bike, as for budget max would be €1,500 at a push

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

NBar wrote: »
    What do people recommend as a winter bike and what are you riding this winter
    Same bike as in the summer.

Do you have a bike already? If yes, just keep riding it. If you are looking for a new one, there are off season sales, but not sure what type of bike you are after - a road bike, city bike, MTB ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Have a road bike but want another road bike for winter use etc think current one just too good for winter use and fitting mud guards etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

NBar wrote: »
    Have a road bike but want another road bike for winter use etc think current one just too good for winter use and fitting mud guards etc
    Yeah, but you are going to spend money on buying (I assume) worse bike than your current one that still is not cheap by any means and compromise your comfort and enjoyment by riding a "winter bike". Would you not just enjoy the bike you have and keep the money for spare tyres, chains, brake pads, bearings, mudguards, lights, jackets, winter gloves, etc.?
    That is my view and that is what I do with my favourite bike, just enjoy riding it :).

Byt anyway, if you want a new one, here is an interesting bike:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikebuilder.asp?action=GenerateConstructor&part=BBRIBBLE7005AUDWINT&sub=conf_BBRW&bike=1

Suppose my problem is like the cars I have one for general all year round use and two then for summer use, maybe ill just stick with the one bike for this winter and see how it goes or take up mountain biking for the winter with a bike on the indoor trainer. Thanks again to both who replied for helping me think this idea through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

if you've a nice carbon frame ya dont want to muck up over winter and money to burn then why not throw a k into an entry level road bike from any of the bigger manufacturers (giant, spesh, cube etc) it wont blow your mind but it'll do for the days in the rain and muck. ive a cube peleton pro fitted with mudguards for the winter (whenever it begins, sun is shining outside at the mo :) ) and my pride and joy stays safe till next spring. if you look at the people out on the roads from now on in, you wont see many high end bikes under them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

When looking for my winter/training bike, I tried to find a frame with the same dimensions as my race bike. I therefore train in the same position but have the added benefit of extra resistance, erm weight.

Thanks lads, what would be a good winter frame to compliment a Bianchi Oltre xr2 frame, was looking at a Cannondale caad10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I'm going through a similar decision process at the moment. How about a steel Genesis road or CX bike with disc brakes and full mudguards. Disc brakes should be ideal for wet weather (mech-hydro or all hydro). And the added weight will be good training...

outfox wrote: »
    I'm going through a similar decision process at the moment. How about a steel Genesis road or CX bike with disc brakes and full mudguards. Disc brakes should be ideal for wet weather (mech-hydro or all hydro). And the added weight will be good training...

Was thinking about disc brakes but prefer them on a mountain bike, got to make me mind up soon before the Xmas rush starts and choice gets limited, think I will have to spend a night surfing the net and looking at bikes and reviews and of the ones mentioned in the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Canyon Roadlite. 999 euro. End of discussion. Close the thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    Canyon Roadlite. 999 euro. End of discussion. Close the thread. :)
    I don't think it has mudguard eyelets? I'm toying with the idea of getting a 'winter' bike myself (especially for commuting) but I would consider the ability to fit proper mudguards an essential factor (none of my 3 current bikes have eyelets). An audax type bike would also be a consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

IMO, the main reason for having a winter bike is MUDGUARDS... Full carbon with Di2 or steel with Shimano Sora..whatever.. Just keep it as close to your summer bike as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I wouldn't dream of buying a new winter bike without disc brakes. The mess rim brakes make in the wet (in addition to the reduced power) is just intolerable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I don't think it has mudguard eyelets? I'm toying with the idea of getting a 'winter' bike myself (especially for commuting) but I would consider the ability to fit proper mudguards an essential factor (none of my 3 current bikes have eyelets). An audax type bike would also be a consideration.

SKS raceblades are proper. I find them brilliant anyway and they'll fit any road road bike.

I suppose I read "winter" bike and I see "training" bike. So I'd personally prefer a road bike that I can ride all year around and keep the race bike for glamour miles. For me the canyon ticks all those boxes.

Otherwise, canyon now also have this:

It's 400 quid more than the roadlite though

inflite-al-perspective-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

fat bloke wrote: »

Otherwise, canyon now also have this:

I was going to post a big yawn at the previous canyon post, each to their own, value for money and all that aside, I personally find them unimaginative and boring, never mind not accommodating mudguards.
    The one above though seems practical and suited to the strategy I mentioned of training on a bike with as close a geometry to the race bike as possible.
    Not for me, but given the last fact that canyon closes the "what race bike should I buy" threads, this should be put into the bike to work mega thread as the "if this doesn't suit you, go buy a giant rapid" bit of advice.

Advertisement