Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can somebody recommend a good rucksack?

• 09-10-2014 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can somebody recommend a good rucksack to use when cycling. I currently have a 25-litre rucksack but it is too small for putting in a winter jacket. I currently have a pair of shoes, change of clothes & lunch in it. I also have a 65-litre rucksack at home but it is way too big (it's more for camping etc).

Both are Alpine lowe makes (make doesn't really matter).

I'm cycling so I need to bring all these things so I can change at my destination.

I'm looking on the Alpine lowe website, thinking of something in the 40 litre range.

What do people think? Recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think you're nuts to be carrying all that on your back.

Everyone's requirements are different, but I weightweenied my commuting backpack last year down to a Deuter Speedlite 20 (530g) and am more comfortable. I can leave shoes and jeans in work though.

Why do you need to carry the winter jacket? On bad days you'll be wearing it, on good days just layer up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Stick with the 25l, any more on your back is tiring. I have had to minimise the stuff I bring, ie. a small towel, lightweight shoes, rain jacket is a goretex that velcros to the handlebars, and doubles up as a casual jacket!

Anything heavier to bring and it would be worthwhile getting panniers, at least one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Cheers guys. Food for thought. Time to leave the shoes in work under the desk and start being practical :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

As above have suggested carrying 30L+ is going to be very heavy.

Can you lighten your load at all?
    Leave your shoes at work etc.

If not, I'd hugely recommend the Osprey cycling bags (I have the 15L one), but they go up to 30L and get great reviews.

Osprey cycling backpacks

I think you are all correct guys. I'm coming at this in the wrong way. Time to leave the shoes for starters in work. Will think about the clothes. The jacket...might just layer up as suggested.

The 25l is probably sufficient. I just need to be thinking smart.

It's a 3 mile cycle to the train station, the 1 hr on the train and then literally 5 min walk (if that) to my office. There are some stuff I can probably leave in my locket at my desk.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Got a DHB 25L Luggit recently on Wiggle. Good quality bag with clips which go around chest and belly for extra stability. A bit of reflective stuff on it also.

As previous posters mention, keep things to an absolute minimum in the bag. My lower back was sore the first few weeks of commuting and now I don't bring as much and it's easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I use deuter race lite15l. It's great

They do larger sizes but just leave shoes etc at work.

Deuter giga office might suit you but I've never come across better made bags

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I use an Ortlieb messenger bag, when I need a ruck-sack (e.g., on the shifty with no rack), totally-but-totally water-proof, high visibility (its big, its yellow) and keeps your back warm in winter. Big enough to transport a small child, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I am not sure how long is your commute, but would you not try panniers or a saddle bag?

I tried the idea of using a rucksack when I started commuting, but could not live with it - it felt very uncomfortable and my back was always sweaty. After I invested in a large saddle bag, it changed my commuting for ever. Much, much better option IMO.

Commute is 3 miles each way to/from the station and then 1 hr on the train. Off the train, literally a 5 min walk to the office.

I think the 25l rucksack I have will do. At the other posters have pointed out I just need to be smarter in what I pack into the bag and leave some things in the office.

Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭JMcL

As others have said, leave a change of clothes and shoes in work if you can. If you're taking a shower in work, invest in a microfibre towel. Takes up a fraction of the space of a normal one, and dries quickly. Leave all the shower stuff in work too if you can

As regards sweaty backs, my current rucksack has a rigid mesh on the back which creates an air gap and so no excessive sweating. That said, Seweryn's commute is about 3 time the length of mine if memory serves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

laoisfan wrote: »
    Commute is 3 miles each way to/from the station and then 1 hr on the train.

Deuter bags are quite good, I find. Should be fine over that distance. Definitely bring layers rather than a big coat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I did 200k a week with a back pack that weighed up to 27kg for years. It's a Jansport one and it's like a tardis, there's almost no end to how much you cant stuff into it it's great. They're designed and built really well, have a lifetime guarantee. Keeps you warm and sweaty in winter and summer! :p I will have to find a new solution post collarbone for a while. Are the messenger bags not bad for your back, with all the weight on one shoulder/side and not spread even across both shoulders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

gadetra wrote: »
    I did 200k a week with a back pack that weighed up to 27kg for years.
    :eek::eek::eek:

Get thee some panniers, they're in Lidl every now and then for about €15, pretty decent too. Or you can opt for fancier ones like these http://freewheeling.ie/index.php/accessories/panniers.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yeah I have to. If I hadn't done in the collarbone I'd have been fine. It makes the non commuting cycles extra nice by not having a big sweaty bag on :D:o

gadetra wrote: »
    I did 200k a week with a back pack that weighed up to 27kg for years. It's a Jansport one and it's like a tardis, there's almost no end to how much you cant stuff into it it's great. They're designed and built really well, have a lifetime guarantee. Keeps you warm and sweaty in winter and summer! :p I will have to find a new solution post collarbone for a while. Are the messenger bags not bad for your back, with all the weight on one shoulder/side and not spread even across both shoulders?

Damn.

Messenger bags are good for the groceries or beer to party or gym etc, but yeah the design is to be as capacious as possible and not so much the weight distribution. I've used a bailey works fir years and it's quality and not overly €€€, but even with the cross strap on it's not brilliant fir long trips /all day use, and your laptop will get battered a bit w books etc.
    Bailey make backpack versions or perhaps the chrome rolltop or I've heard great things about reload. Stay away from timbuk 2 in messenger bags they suck ballZ.

As I mentioned I had a deuter giga office and while it didn't suit me at the time it's a very very well designed bag for office/college uses. It's slightly fugly but it's only around 65€ and it's large enough to fit loads, has lotsa straps and anti sweaty meshy features and I think it's git a waterproof cover and helmet holder as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

i use a Kriega rucksack on my motorbike & cycling, purpose built for the job, a bit expensive but definitely worth the extra dosh,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

I use a Deuter AC Lite 18, which is ideal for my commute (200k+ per week). The way it distributes weight on your back is phenomenal, so I can easily transport a laptop without it being too much of a burden. They make similar cycling-specific backpacks, but they're smaller and won't fit a laptop. I wasn't too gone on any of the additional features on the cycling-specific ones neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Anything made by Deuter. Real quality bags and the best made longest lasting bags I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

slap/dash wrote: »
    Damn.

Stay away from timbuk 2 in messenger bags they suck ballZ.
    ell.

Im just about to purchase a timbuk2 messenger bag
    What are these sucked ballz you speak of?

• Advertisement

fillup wrote: »
    Im just about to purchase a timbuk2 messenger bag
    What are these sucked ballz you speak of?

Well ok just in my case the point at which the strap meets the bag was designed in such a way that part of the bag seam folded over upon itself. Even with padded Velcro thingy over it, the damn thing exerted a lot of pressure on just that point on the shoulder/neck which was taking the bulk of the weight. Maybe they've redesigned.

Another poor design feature was the means of loosening/tightening which involved a two handed or very dexterous one handed operation. Cf the bailey works and others which can be adjusted easily on the fly while riding.

They are cheap enough and maybe they redesigned. It was a couple years back.

I should add that I'm a tall guy and so both bags I'm talking about are large and were used to being at least half full on the reg for a few hours a day.

Big bag, big load.

Haha ah here, not like that ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

Cheers slap/dash

They do have a new model of the messenger out and it looks pretty secure strap-wise so there should be no need for fiddling about with oneself mid ride

BTW OP I'm moving away from a back pack for the commute due to sweaty-back syndrome
    The weight distribution on a messenger might not be as good as a backpack but I reckon the pros out weigh the cons if you keep the load to a minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

I use this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Mach-Rucksack-Black-Thunder/dp/B004W40ZNc

It's 11 litres.

I leave shoes in works.

I have a pair of trousers, shirt, socks and jocks. I use the trousers for the week. Just leave them in works.

Also take a late morning lunch - homemade soda bread, apple and banana.

Advertisement