Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blizzards

Options
  • 24-12-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭

"A blizzard is a severe snowstorm characterized by strong sustained winds of at least 56 km/h (35 mph) and lasting for a prolonged period of time – typically three hours or more"

Just thinking about it i don't think I've ever experienced a blizzard in this country. I suppose given most of us live away from high ground it's probably the same for most people. If Carlsberg did blizzards, I'd wake up to one on Christmas morning

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I still have memories of the 1982 blizzard had to walk during it to the shop with my parents. The easterly wind was very strong with the intense snowfall almost falling horizontally at times and into our faces. It wasnt very pleasant but the snow was great once it stopped snowing. I think it snowed solidly for about 14 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I experienced one. I made the trip from Co. Derry to Co. Antrim 22nd March of this year. It lasted hours, continuous snow fall and gusty winds to much of coast of Co. Antrim was unbelievable brought total chaos. Electric was down for days, people stuck in there homes, travel disruption, tens of thousands of animals dead.

As much as it caused widespread disruption, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would give both my nuts to experience another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I've been in one camping in Wicklow about 4-5 years ago. We had to abandon our hike and set up camp, Woke up to this outside our tents.

13CD9BBFCAFB4AE1AC0BB5115BB6B672-0000345144-0003464221-00604L-9428330BED6645D683AF99297C14D06B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is that the metal box on the walk down to the miners village in Glendalough? Kicking myself that Ive never gotten up there in the snow yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Thargor wrote: »
    Is that the metal box on the walk down to the miners village in Glendalough? Kicking myself that Ive never gotten up there in the snow yet...

Correct. We were making our way up to the top of the valley and things got sketchy so we set up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

1982 for me too, wind and driving snow, the snowdrifts around dunboyne co. meath (not prone to snow) where huge with cars buried in them where their owners had given up and continued on foot. Havent seen sustained wind driven snow like that since, just squally snow which always makes armageddon feel close until they pass just like any rain shower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Cork 1997 better know as the Christmas Eve blizzard.

I was working in the old Tesco in Douglas Village at the time, part of the roof was blown off and cars were drifting in the wind in the [then] open car park, it did last a few hours and started abruptly and stopped the same way, from zero to 50mph winds constant no gusts to zero.

I've posted of the devastation in the current storm thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That story is just too much to take, so even snow-shield cork has experienced a blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

That story is just too much to take, so even snow-shield cork has experienced a blizzard.

Yes, indeed, the shield ironically works so well that we only tend to experience really extreme events and we do enjoy almost unique weather experiences, though rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

correct me if i'm wrong but i can recall blizzard like conditions back around jan/feb 1991

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I've been watching a lot of videos of blizzards on you tube lately. Why snow gods why? Have I not danced enough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

s.m wrote: »
    correct me if i'm wrong but i can recall blizzard like conditions back around jan/feb 1991

I would say there's been 4/5 proper hardcore easterlies in my lifetime. I am 33. February 1991 was an absolute classic. I think I saw historical charts recently which showed -13 C uppers for one of the nights. If I recall correctly the bulk of the snow fell on a single night, it was one of those special mornings where you'd awake to a whiteout, switch on the radio LMFM and hear the good news - all schools in Meath are closed!!!!

Oh the fun we had that day

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I thoroughly enjoyed it and would give both my nuts to experience another one.
    Before you do anything hasty, you do realize that there are flights available to places that have blizzards?!?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I experienced one. I made the trip from Co. Derry to Co. Antrim 22nd March of this year. It lasted hours, continuous snow fall and gusty winds to much of coast of Co. Antrim was unbelievable brought total chaos. Electric was down for days, people stuck in there homes, travel disruption, tens of thousands of animals dead.

As much as it caused widespread disruption, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would give both my nuts to experience another one.

And as unlikely as it is that there will be a repeat of that this year it's an example of why we shouldn't give up on Winter just yet.

bilston wrote: »
    And as unlikely as it is that there will be a repeat of that this year it's an example of why we shouldn't give up on Winter just yet.

Hope so, but I'm getting the bad vibe now. The 'it's not going to happen this year' vibe. Same as with a wet summer. Sometimes you just know in the end.

I have no doubt that twice as much snow fell between 1981 and 1991 (in Meath anyway) than in the 23 years since. Bear in mind 2010 didn't deliver much north of Dublin

Advertisement