Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to turn right on a 2 lane road?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

What's the best policy when you cycle on the left hand side of a two-lane road (whether on a cycle lane or not) and need to turn right? Is it best to stop and wait for the traffic to stop and cross on foot? Or to extend your arm and change lane? Or to start cycling on the left of the right-hand side lane so you turn right with the flow of cars?

I find that at some junctions, I have no choice but dismount, get on the footpath, wait for the pedestrian lights to change (or for the traffic to come to a standstill) and cross on foot, which defeats the purpose of cycling, surely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Answer: Very quickly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Hi

What's the best policy when you cycle on the left hand side of a two-lane road (whether on a cycle lane or not) and need to turn right? Is it best to stop and wait for the traffic to stop and cross on foot? Or to extend your arm and change lane? Or to start cycling on the left of the right-hand side lane so you turn right with the flow of cars?

I find that at some junctions, I have no choice but dismount, get on the footpath, wait for the pedestrian lights to change (or for the traffic to come to a standstill) and cross on foot, which defeats the purpose of cycling, surely?

Usually, there is an area in front of the cars for cyclists to stop in. So if you are making a right turn, I'd get into the right lane and then make the turn as if there was only one lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

+1, I tend move into the right lane, stay on the left, wave my arms about so I am seen and then turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Liamario wrote: »
    Usually, there is an area in front of the cars for cyclists to stop in. So if you are making a right turn, I'd get into the right lane and then make the turn as if there was only one lane.

The junction is not always at a traffic light or a stop sign, hence the difficulty. Whenever I stay on the left side of the right lane, I usually get shouted at by taxi drivers. Usually it's something about cycling on the cycle lane.... which most of the time is inexistant

I got knocked off my bike recently (no damage except for my dignity) when trying this maneuvre :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hi

The same way you would if you were a Motorist. Signal, Move into the Right hand lane and turn when safe to do so...Oh and do it quickly!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

3102derek wrote: »

When turning right, get into the left side of the right-turning lane, look behind and give the proper signal before you move out and ensure traffic in that lane is not going straight ahead. On steep hills or busy roads, pull into the left-hand side of the road and wait until there is a break in traffic in both directions to let you make the turn safely.

Thanks. I think I'll print this and shoved it into the angry taxi drivers' face :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

The junction is not always at a traffic light or a stop sign, hence the difficulty. Whenever I stay on the left side of the right lane, I usually get shouted at by taxi drivers. Usually it's something about cycling on the cycle lane.... which most of the time is inexistant

I got knocked off my bike recently (no damage except for my dignity) when trying this maneuvre :(

I understand what you are saying. Firstly, taxi drivers are some of the worst drivers on the road and the fact that they are shouting at you goes to show their knowledge of the rules. Secondly, with regard to getting knocked off, you are most definitely not the first person this has happened too and won't be the last. These things happen. Get the reg and get back on the bike! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I gradually move out. Once I see no cars behind me I'll move into the centre of the left lane at the earliest opportunity then just stay to the right of the left lane/left of the right lane/into the right lane. No reason at all why you should have to cross on foot.
    A non-mandatory cycle track has a broken white line on the right-hand side. The cyclist may leave this type of cycle track if:

Does that mean that a on-pate cycle lane with broken white lines are not mandatory if there are pedestrians on them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the conditions. If the traffic is heavy, you can dodge out and change lanes fairly easily. If the traffic is light or moving then you need to keep up a good pace, even speed up if necessary, to make your own life easier. Slowing down to make the change when you have moving traffic will only make your life harder (thinking of the quays in Dublin here).

When you do it is really a matter of judgement. Early enough that you're not at the turn when you're trying to change lanes, but also late enough that you're not 2 minutes away from the turn and holding up traffic. If you have a good 10/15 seconds between completing the lane change and reaching the turn, then you've probably got the timing right. This is a distance of about 100m.

When you've made the lane change, ride just off-center of the lane, to the left. Don't ride on the white line unless the traffic is heavy and moving slowly. Nothing more offputting than riding on the white line and traffic blasting carelessly past you on both sides. If there is traffic in the lane behind you, best to indicate right as long as necessary so they understand why you're in the right-hand lane, and they can overtake on the left if they want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Learning to look over your shoulders is a valuable skill to have when changing lanes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

just stay to the right of the left lane/left of the right lane/into the right lane

Excellent choice, that gives the drivers in both lanes equal opportunity to knock you off your bike. (and neither will need to take any responsibility as they'll say you veered over from the other lane)

Seriously though, read Seamus' post above.

Stay centre of right lane on approach to the junction.
    Being at the side of a lane means motorists sometimes won't see you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

OP if you pm me some form of postal address I can send you a cycling skills leaflet.

The answer depends on the traffic conditions sometimes it can be dismount and walk sometimes it is to make the movement as a car would. I would not follow some of the advice on cycling in the "rules of the road".

Possibly more important than hand signals is being able to look over your shoulder and make eye contact with following drivers. Some drivers will even treat this as a hand signal and slow down to let you accross (but don't expect this). If you are signalling then you need to check by looking to see if the drivers are reacting to you. If the first driver isnt reacting try the next one and so on. Also put your hand right out in assertive manner so there is no mistake about your intent.

Treat it as two separate moves - the first is getting to the centre of the left lane - the second is moving from there to the right lane - preferably the centre of that.

Use a right turn lane like a car if possible. If there are other vehicles already waiting to turn this is a good thing, you can use them for your own protection. Pull up directly behind them in a central position and wait your turn. Sometimes you can turn with them using them as a shield. If its a very very long right turn lane it might mean less pressure from following traffic to wait for a while before negotiating your way accross into it

Strangely enough this can sometimes be easier in heavy traffic because the speeds are lower.

If you are behind a truck or bus try to stay where you can see the wing mirrors. (Otherwise the driver can't see you)

If you want you can always go out early on a Sunday morning and try it a few times on an empty road before trying it in real traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There's no need to do this ever.
    Just plan well in advance of the turn when you are going to look to move out, check over your shoulder a lot, wait for a suitable gap and signal and move.

As for the taxi drivers just ignore them, they shout at everyone and everything for being in their way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RyanAndrew

The Dublin Cycling Campaign have a free Bike Buddy scheme in place which you could sign up for. http://www.dublincycling.com/bikebuddy . An experienced cyclist would cycle with you showing you the way they would navigate it safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Do as if you are a car, move into center left lane, indicate, check behind move in center right, and try be at the same speed as the traffic. Never assume people see you, make eye contact with them, give clear hand signals.

Advertisement