Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legs not 'heroic' enough for chainset!

• 25-09-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

In a fit of enthusiasm last February, I entered the Italian vintage road race called l'Eroica - translation 'the Heroic'

For those not familiar, the race is for vintage cycles (pre '87) and has rules like shifters on downtubes, no cleats, no index shifters etc ....

It is held in the steep gravel hills of the Chianti region and I signed up for the 137km course which, upon mature reflection, was a little optimistic - especially in light of the near zero training I seem to have done in the interim.

The hills are a concern, as the gearing on bikes of this vintage is pretty high (42-19 is the lowest gear on my Woodrup). I have tracked down a (NOS) 28 tooth freewheel but I think I owe it to my knees to find a smaller chainring also.

Does anyone have a (vintage'esque) 39 tooth chainset (eg 52/39) that I might borrow/buy for the race on Oct 5th? Alternatively Happy to make a donation to charity etc by way of recompense.

I am in central Dublin. (Happy to give you a call if you want to PM me details.)

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I may have a 144 bcd 39 at home (if it's not a 39 then its a 42 and no use to you). I will check and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 coontey

Teriffic! - fingers crossed - Dave

Survived the race (l'Eroica) on a 44 chainring with a 28 rear

Only had to walk for one short hill and the loose surface may have meant that the 39 tooth would not have made much difference in that particular case

Would recomment a 39 if you have a choice though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

crap - i forgot to get back to you. The chain ring I had was a 144 bcd 42, so no better than what you had. Well done for completing it tho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Awesome stuff, would you recommend the trip?

• Advertisement

CramCycle:

This was one of the BEST events I have ever done. If you have a vintage bike, or are interested in vintage bikes, then it is the event for you. The place is awash with cycles that you would stop in the street to admire - there's almost too many to take in and you just get a bit blasée after a while.

The food stops are reflective of the vintage also, Slami, Cheese, Chianti soaked bread sprinkled with sugar etc - all reminiscent of what you would have eaten if racing back in the day I guess. No isotonic drinks and power gels here ...

Tough ride as it is very hilly and 50% on gravel roads, but it's 'a good sort of pain ...'

Dave

PS I'll always remember the dude on the Penny Farthing shredding down steep gravel hills - feet off pedals 'cos they were spinning round so fast ...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Pics?

Advertisement