Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transporting bike Dublin->London

Options
  • 20-03-2005 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hi
    i've recently moved to London. I want to bring my bike over so I can use it during the summer. (it's a nice but oldish full-sus).

Anyone sent/brought a bike to England recently? what's the easiest/safest way?

I was thinking of either couriering it over, or bringing it with me on the plane then bringing it on an overland train to Central London (where I live).

Any recommendations?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Some airlines will charge you extra for bringing a bike - check before you book. If you're bringing it on the plane get a cardboard bike box from one of the shops (for free) to provide a little protection. This would be the most straightforward way to get it over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

hmm yeah aer lingus charge a little extra, 20 quid or so. The money isnt really an issue.

if i get it to heathrow, i think i'm still a bit stuck as there is no mainline station near there. Maybe i'll just courier it over. I don't think i'd trust it to ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

I have flown a bike back from England using Ryanair with no difficulty or damage. I used a bike bag (I think they insist the bike is wrapped, bagged or boxed), and you have to pack it a ceratin way - handlebars folded in, pressure in tyres reduced, etc.

They charge €25 e/w for bike transit and you book this by telephone after you book your ticket. Note: this is important as space for large items is limited and must be reserved - if you leave it until you are checking in you might find they can't accomodate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I took my bike from Southampton to Dublin a few times when I lived over there, with BA and there were no extra charges. I just had to take pedals off, deflate tyres and put handlebars parallel with crossbar.

You could try BA from Gatwick or Aer Lingus/BA or BMI from Heathrow. I suspect you'll be charged extra nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Took 2 bikes to and from Beauvais on Ryanair. No packaging needed, take off the pedals, parallel the handlebars and away you go. On check in they'll ring a guy in ServisAir to come out and get the bike from you (told us to go wait by a certain door). Arrived just fine both ways, 2 x 2 x 25 was 100 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Ok thanks, you've shown me that it's possible by plane.

on the other hand, i might just get a friend to courier it to me - anyone got a company they would recommend?

Advertisement