Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to look for in a new bike (cheapish)

Options
  • 03-03-2005 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I know to get a frame size big enough, after that how do you tell the difference between a good and bad bike? Thought my last one was good. Bought it new and used it for less than 6 months and it was falling apart (the camber was ****ed, the wheel was buckledd, the chain and gears were rusted to hell (cycling 8 miles a day in west of ireland winter does that if you don't know about oiling things), you could push the chain off the gears if you pushed the lever too far, and probably a couple of other things I forgot to mention)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Unfortunately, it's generally possible to tell from the price. Unless you're at some dodgy shop where they've bad stock marked up.

Each component of the bike is generally priced according to weight and manufacture quality - the lighter and better quality, the more expensive. Some manufacturers, like Shimano, will have groupsets of components, e.g. you could buy a Shimano "Deore" drive train (gears, cranks and chain), or a lower priced Shimano "Alivio" drive train, or some components Deore, some Alivio, etc. Generally the lighter the better, exception that when you get into the really high-end race/pro area, the more expensive gear may not be as durable as the mid-range stuff.

Have a google:
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=+Bicycle+Buying+Guide&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Your post should be stickied as an example of why buying cheap bikes is a waste of money. They don't last. They're not designed to last. The best way to get a reasonable bike is to spend a reasonable amount of money on one. You get what you pay for (with the exception of the occasional bargain, and good second hand stuff).

Any bike will need maintanance though. Just like cars, if you don't do the odd bit of standard maintanance every so often it will stop working properly.

What do you use you bike for? (commuting / training / leisure / mountain biking / road racing etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

you could push the chain off the gears if you pushed the lever too far
    This can be an issue on any bike. It means that the limit stops are not correctly adjusted. Quite easy to fix: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

He has a huge range of articles http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Commuting is mainly what I'm going to use it for, but probably will for all purposes you mention bar the racing.
    I was thinking of checking out the upcoming garda auction, but I don't know if I would be able to know what sort of prices to offer for which bikes just by looking at them myself.
    Thanks for the replies

Well if you are going to be using for mountain biking (real off road mountain biking!), then you simply have to get yourself a decent mountain bike. Any other bike will rapidly disintigrate on contact with the lovely Irish hills! There are a few threads below where I pointed people in the direction of good deals on-line for mountain bikes.

If your not really going to be mountain biking then a leisure / commuter / town bike will do you. These will be a bit cheaper as they don't need to be as strong or need (expensive) powerful brakes and good suspension forks. So the first thing I would decide if I were you was whether you really need a mountain bike. (personally I couldn't recommend mountain biking highly enough... its the most fun you can have in Ireland :D )

Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a second hand bike from any source unless (a) they trusted the seller and the seller knows about bikes or (b) you have someone who knows about bikes to look it over for you or (c) you know about bikes yourself. Just like cars really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,924 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What are the good bike shops in Dublin?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Cyclogical (Near millenium bridge on north Quays)
    Cycleways (Parnell Street)
    Cycle Super Store (Tallaght)
    Cycle Inn (Tallaght)
    The Bike Rack (Cabinteely)

Those aren't in any partiular order, or necessarily an exhaustive list. They do all have staff who know what they are talking about, and sell good bikes (as well as cheap crappy ones for those who insist on spending the minimum)

for bike maintanace I've also found commuting solutions in rathmines to be staffed by a very sound and knowledgeable bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

If you are clueless and it sounds as if you are, bite the bullit and buy from a reputable shop. They will give warranty on new and some on used if they sell them. Maintenance typically for commuter use is typically every 40-80 miles depending on weather conditions.

What you described is a zero maintenance policy and bikes like cars do not last long without TLC.

If you are buying from a third party, bring someone who really knows your bikes. You could buy something that has been crashed and repaired to the untrained eye. Otherwise buyer beware (or suckered) applies.

I commute 30 miles a week in cork. Good surfaces but my commuter bike gets zero weather protection. But on this run I get one puncture on average a month and I have broken the frame on one bike due to metal fatique.

If you are serious about your bike, get mucky and DIY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I should post here as it is related.

I am look for a new bike or second hand just for getting around, city travel.
    I would like a rigid frame mountain bike that is light enough and has paddle/trigger shifters (is that what you call them?) and front shocks would be a bonus.
    I would rather pay money for a good enough rigid frame opposed to full suspension.

I could be pushed to €200, i know not alot but I want to keep it cheap as possible.
    Could any one recommend me any models that are avalible in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

if you are just going to use it for city travel, then I wouldn't bother with the front shocks, since they will add to the cost but you won't really need them. They also waste a bit of energy unless you have lock-out on them (someone correct me if I am wrong). A touring bike or a hybrid would be the best bet. Where to get one? Pay a visit to a few shops, pick one that you like the look/feel of. Compare it to others in other shops and see what is giving the best value (groupsets, frame, brakes)

Have a read of this...
    http://www.chainreaction.com/hybrids.htm
    and this...
    http://www.chainreaction.com/mtnor.htm

KR

• Advertisement

I am not that interested in hybrid bike. A friend had got one and under hard enough braking the rear wheel would always loose grip, you would just slide to a stop.
    Also in the price range I quoted above is there any difference in strength/weight/performance in bikes that have a aluminium or steel frames.
    Also is there any brands/models to stay away from.

Can anyone help!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=236993

Giant MTB for €90

I have a giant MTB for a while now and am pleased with it. I was advised to get a hybrid but am happy I went for this as I am up and down curbs all the way to work. Has front suspension. I got 1.3" slick road tyres a while back so it is a sort of hybrid of sorts, looks strange but flys along.
    If I could go back now I would have had them swopped over to slicks before buying the bike since the shop could have sold the big unused MTB tyres

If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost new and why are you selling it.

Advertisement