Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple wheel question

Options
  • 02-02-2005 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

This is a pretty novice question, but here goes... I have just put a new set of tyres on my bike (Sp. Armadillo's 700x25). Everything went fine and the tyres were correctly fitted with respect to direction the tread should rotate. However I realised afterwards that I had fitted my front wheel so that it was now rotating in the opposite direction than it did with my old tyres. I.e. the quick release lever was on the left as opposed to the right of the bike.

It's straightforward to correct this but I was wondering is there a correct rotation direction for front wheels in general? I only noticed it because the sensor for my cycle computer was on the wrong side.

The bike's a Ridgeback Genesis Day 01 (hybrid).

Cheers,
    Mem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

your only concern will be if the bearings are excessively worn and if the race are pitted as a consequence. otherwise you're ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JoeCashin

:eek: Some tyres, have arrows printed on the side and the tire must be rotating in the same direction as the threads. Mountain bike tyres have this arrow on the side of the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

my reading of his question was that the tires were rotating the same way as intended - but that the hubs(as indictated by teh quick release positioning) were now rotating the opposite way.

What was he was really asking was whether or not he needed to go to the bother of changing the tyre to make sure the wheel was rotating the same way as it has been with the last set of tires...

And the answer is only when the wheel are worn. Bearings can rotate happily either way, but when they're worn - and especially when dirt has gotten in for a while - then you'd be speeding up the wear and could run into trouble sooner than you otherwise would have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Yup, that's a correct assessment uberwolf. It's not the easiest thing in the world to describe. It was a newish bike so I didn't go to the trouble of changing the wheel around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JoeCashin

The quick release of a bicycle wheel should normally be at the left side of the bicycle. This is the side you get up at and get down, and tighten or adjust the wheel. That is unless you are left handed, then the other side, of course. :D The quick release can be changed around and it does not matter what way the wheel turns. :confused: The bearings will revolve in a circular motion what ever way the wheel is turned. :rolleyes: But if there is arrows printed on the sid eof the tyre,it is recommended that the wheel travel in this direction (eg. on a mountain Bike). :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement