Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trees and bushes on my ditch

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

greysides wrote: »
    A red form of wild Hawthorn.

kDkN8tp.jpg?1

Did you see the pic of the one I took at the start of the thread. There's a few like that on the farm and then there's a few pink ones between them and the white ones.
    Afaik none of them were planted just seeds off trees beside them or carried by birds. The pink one's look to be a cross between the two.
    The red one's don't seem to grow or be as vigorous as the white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

you learn something new everyday I always called them white thorns but no your right googled it Our flowers are gone since the weather dis improved a few weeks ago!!
    Last year they were loaded down with flowers for weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

you learn something new everyday I always called them white thorns but no your right googled it Our flowers are gone since the weather dis improved a few weeks ago!!
    Last year they were loaded down with flowers for weeks
    White thorn and white hawthorn are different names for the same plant.
    Afaik.
    Then you have black thorn which is a smaller tree with white bloom earlier on. It then fruits black sloes on it in the autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sloe gin.... hmmmmm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Madness is good for you, it keeps you sane

We call it a Pinkthorn, looks pretty awesome alright

ddi7FA.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Did you see the pic of the one I took at the start of the thread. There's a few like that on the farm and then there's a few pink ones between them and the white ones.
    Afaik none of them were planted just seeds off trees beside them or carried by birds. The pink one's look to be a cross between the two.
    The red one's don't seem to grow or be as vigorous as the white.

Yes, yours was really red, the one I posted more of a half-way house. The commercial red ones are, I believe, grafted, which would support your observation that they aren't as vigorous. Nice to see the variation in nature. Who knows, in time to come the red variety may prove more resistant to some new disease and thus the species survives rather than dies. Darwinian. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A MASSIVE BIG BUMP.

Edit: my pics have disappeared but the long time posters and viewers will remember them.

Everyone else and anyone who hasn't contributed to this thread post 'em up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

A MASSIVE BIG BUMP.

Edit: my pics have disappeared but the long time posters and viewers will remember them.

I imagine the hosting site is either gone out of business or has taken down your images.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    I imagine the hosting site is either gone out of business or has taken down your images.

Ah the sentiment is there.

We'll look at the sentiment. :p

Any way how's about it folks?
    What state are your hedgerows in?
    Much diversity?

• Advertisement

There was something going around on FB recently about Ireland not having enough Forestry compared to the EU and, I think, Ming was saying 'look at our hedges'....

Now that may be an amalgam of two posts ... but I do remember someone pointing to our hedges as a form of long wood.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Would be great to see some of the hedges from posters who contributed 3 years ago.
    Really got me thinking about mine...but that's a project for next year for me.

Would be great to see some of the hedges from posters who contributed 3 years ago.
    Really got me thinking about mine...but that's a project for next year for me.

Be great to see some from the 30 plus posters on this forum first.
    Whether they be Irish or international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Mostly whitethorn and black thorn here but trying to diversify as much as I can. Waiting on the nursery to get hazel for me and have about 30 oak and horse chestnut that I grew from seed last year. May leave them in their buckets for another year before planting out. Had a few birch that I had to cut down as they were on a 90 degree bend on the road and had minimum view with the tractors. Will keep them down to about 6 feet.
    Few sycamores and ash scattered around and plenty of Sallys.
    OH just bought a few acres with 8 or 10 mature Scots Pine on it which are fantastic. Big plans to thicken up all the hedges there too down the line with all native species if we can.

Old man was great to plant trees in fairness but was mostly of the evergreen hedge variety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Don't have any hedge pictures. What's in my sward will have to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Can't attach many pictures at a time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    White thorn and white hawthorn are different names for the same plant.
    Afaik.
    Then you have black thorn which is a smaller tree with white bloom earlier on. It then fruits black sloes on it in the autumn.
    And the hawthorn fruits haws!

And has anyone mentioned hips from the wild rose, (Guelder?) also found in hedges/ditches

The mention of damsons brought me back to childhood, we used to pick them for jam as children but the stones were a pain!

Fantastic thread! Glad it was bumped or wouldn't have found it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A MASSIVE BIG BUMP.

My place is on the North Mayo coast - so more stone walls since your traditional hedge comes off worse when faced with the might of the unhindered Atlantic. Having said that I'm currently applying to the forestry service for the most sheltered part of the holding that has some potential for a Birch/Alder mix. Hope to devote 7 acres to this all going well:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Would someone know what this is. It's trying to create a hedge for me 473421.jpg

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Would someone know what this is. It's trying to create a hedge for me 473421.jpg

That's going to be a tough one this time of year. Only going on the type and bark.
    Willow (Sally) maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Looks like a black sally to me. Pull it up and plant something decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Thanks. Probably is willow Sally. I created a grove of 20 willow close by ( Sally and pussy) so I will leave these in the ditch grow away.. I believe the ditch would have been flailed up to certain years ago which is I guess why they have come on..

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

I'd guess Sally too. I've seen it where's it grown into a decent sized stand-alone tree and I rather like it as a single bush. It's draw back is it seeds everywhere. I grew it from a half-buried log that was budding thinking it was an Apple tree as it was amongst logs from a cut down Apple. That it sprouted forth and multiplied was no surprise once it was recognised for what it was.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The mention of damsons brought me back to childhood, we used to pick them for jam as children t
    Bought damason jelly at a community day two years ago. Fabulous with a good cheese and crackers especially soft cheese.such as brie

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement