Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you get a job with the ESB ?

• 07-02-2019 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

A friend of mine wants to work for the ESB but doesn't know how to apply, whether a qualification is needed etc.does one need 3rd level or what's the story with it.any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A friend of mine wants to work for the ESB but doesn't know how to apply, whether a qualification is needed etc.does one need 3rd level or what's the story with it.any advice would be appreciated.

Didn't try looking very hard did they? Link right there on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I'd imagine being a qualified electrician would be advantageous :o
    Does he know anyone there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I guess you mean as a lineman? The ESB would hire everything from electrical engineers to clerical staff.

Check out their current vacancies.
    https://www.esb.ie/careers/esb-careers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It's a hereditary appointment....at least here in Offaly anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

They're not employable by one of the top employers in the country if they don't even bother doing a Google search in 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

They're not employable by one of the top employers in the country if they don't even bother doing a Google in 2019.

he doesn't seem like a bright spark :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

Can he drive the main road?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

I'd imagine being a qualified electrician would be advantageous :o
    Does he know anyone there?

Nope,but he tells me he's good climbing a ladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Blowjobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Your Face wrote: »
    Blowjobs

Blowing fuses or?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Nope,but he tells me he's good climbing a ladder.

Have you actually seen him climb a ladder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Very much about needing to know someone.

mikhail wrote: »
    I guess you mean as a lineman? The ESB would hire everything from electrical engineers to clerical staff.

Check out their current vacancies.
    https://www.esb.ie/careers/esb-careers

Yeah I meant as a lineman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're getting a rough time here but it is After Hours, many don't get enough natural light. ;)

The link above is a good place to start but if you are still in school it might be worth talking to the guidance counsellor. They may have a contact in a local office who could talk you through what a career there would entail.

Also, as others have said, they hire all sorts, the hiring process is likely very different for different roles.

I served my time as an electrician with them years ago. Back then, my career guidance counsellor gave me an application form.
    The process involved the following steps.
    • Aptitude test
    • Interview
    • 2nd Interview
    • Physical Test
    • Medical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Be electric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Be electric.

dmc17 wrote: »
    Have you actually seen him climb a ladder?

Well I seen him up a step ladder changing a lightbulb and he didn't fall down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Judging by the lack of cop-on your mate seems to suffer from, I wouldn't hold out much hope for him getting a job there. I mean, did he seriously not consider looking at the company's website, or even getting in touch with the company himself, rather than having a mate do his work for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

You have to know 2 things..
    You have to know how to change a plug and you have to know someone who works there.:-)))

• Advertisement

You're getting a rough time here but it is After Hours, many don't get enough natural light. ;)

The link above is a good place to start but if you are still in school it might be worth talking to the guidance counsellor. They may have a contact in a local office who could talk you through what a career there would entail.

Also, as others have said, they hire all sorts, the hiring process is likely very different for different roles.

I served my time as an electrician with them years ago. Back then, my career guidance counsellor gave me an application form.
    • Aptitude test
    • Interview
    • 2nd Interview
    • Physical Test
    • Medical

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Great money in it?

You have to know 2 things..
    You have to know how to change a plug and you have to know someone who works there.:-)))

And you have to know how to climb a ladder!

Great money in it?

How much are we talking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

• Aptitude test
    • Interview
    • 2nd Interview
    • Physical Test
    • Medical
    There's nothing rough or lacking natural light about it, and the person in question isn't the OP anyway.

I really have an aversion to that kind of laziness when the information is literally at one's fingertips. Using social media as a search engine is only topped by getting your friend to use social media as a search engine.

If someone doesn't put in even the most minimal effort - I'm talking just the most basic use of their brain, how are they suited to getting into the ESB? An extremely difficult organisation to get into, and one that only takes on the best.

It's not just the OP's friend who is so lazy, it's a societal thing.

Not even definite that they want to be an electrician anyway. They should be googling every question, and if they need more info they should be phoning. And I shouldn't be saying these obvious things!

There's nothing rough or lacking natural light about it, and the person in question isn't the OP anyway.

I really have an aversion to that kind of laziness when the information is literally at one's fingertips. Using social media as a search engine is only topped by getting your friend to use social media as a search engine.

If someone doesn't put in even the most minimal effort - I'm talking just the most basic use of their brain, how are they suited to getting into the ESB? An extremely difficult organisation to get into, and one that only takes on the best.

Not even definite that they want to be an electrician anyway. They should be googling every question, and if they need more info they should be phoning. And I shouldn't be saying these obvious things!

I suspect that maybe the OP was looking for a conversation around it and maybe some to say what their experience was rather than just being told to go to their website.

Every question posted on Boards is pretty much available through Google, does that mean we refuse to give some bit of guidance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And you have to know how to climb a ladder!

Not to be a draughtsman, engineering assistant, clerical officer, accountant, HR officer, engineer, mechanic, storeman, premises officer, and many other roles.

What is he looking for?

I know several working there and, by the way, they didn't know anybody there when they applied.

Is he tall enough?

Searching the sun for another overload.

He'd need to get things straight first. Linesman is a category long gone. They are now Network Technicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

this is like the people who ask on facebook, "hey does anyone know what time kfc in athlone closes at?"

ah maybe google kfc athlone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Absolutely nailed it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

"Connections"
    I'll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That post has to be wind up no one who knows how to read, write and use a computer could be so thick that they didn't think to look up the ESB website, could they?

All linemen are qualified electricians these days.

I suspect that maybe the OP was looking for a conversation around it and maybe some to say what their experience was rather than just being told to go to their website.

Every question posted on Boards is pretty much available through Google, does that mean we refuse to give some bit of guidance?

Well said,you nailed it there!

As I said, this is After Hours...

• Advertisement

well, they should have asked the question they want the answer too, On boards, the answer is that its all nepotism which is not true or else something about being paid lotto wages.

Would he be able to forego a small vacation if it don't look like rain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Stick a steel rod into a socket.if you survive your hired.

If the op is really looking for help with this I hope they get it, all the jobs that are popular paramedics, firefighters a lot of the staff will have degrees even masters the ESB and the like are getting the same.

Very few unskilled well paid job any more.

mariaalice wrote: »
    If the op is really looking for help with this I hope they get it, all the jobs that are popular paramedics, firefighters a lot of the staff will have degrees even masters the ESB and the like are getting the same.

Yes. There is probably an over expectation of the value of degrees at the moment.
    There is movement in some quarters to promote the value of apprenticeships as meaningful career.

There still are tradespeople who make very good livings with what is a level 6 qualification, of course, they can be susceptible to the impact of a downturn more than other professions. And options for 3rd level qualifications mean that there is no longer a need to go straight to college after the leaving cert.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »

Esb web says junior cert required for apprenticeship so I don't know what your saying.

Esb web says junior cert required for apprenticeship so I don't know what your saying.

Minimum requirement. In practice most successful applicants for Electricians have their Leaving Cert. There is an opportunity for some to go on to Uni and study engineering, on full pay, once recruited.

Minimum requirement. In practice most successful applicants for Electricians have their Leaving Cert. There is an opportunity for some to go on to Uni and study engineering, on full pay, once recruited.

Thanks for that.

If you get an interview you will be up against people with the leaving cert and often very good leaving certs who have chose an apprenticeship over college, or even with a degree already, minimum entry requirements does not mean the only requirement. Apply any way you never know how you might get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

How to get a job with company x , go to company x.s website.
    IF you dont know this you are not smart enough to get a job there .
    Most companys now, if theres any vacancys will list them on their website.
    Also they,ll use jobs,ie and similar websites .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Fart wrote: »
    Blowing fuses or?..

Sounds like an ESB installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I'd imagine in the current economic climate the ESB wouldn't have much resistance to taking on staff. Of course there are positives and negatives to electrical work and your friend shouldn't have any reluctance to talk to others involved in the field and hopefully get a down-to-earth neutral opinion. It's in his power to make it happen, and I'm sure he has lots of potential.

Sorry OP:o

Advertisement