Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for second job advice.

Options
  • 16-01-2019 2:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm currently 7 - 8 months into my first job. I want to leave as the company isn't a great fit for me. I have a few questions.

I'd ideally like to leave this company before the year is up. How bad does this look? My commute doubled a few months ago due to the company moving out of the city. It's painful. This might be a good excuse. The main reasons for leaving are pay, company culture, and I'm just bored with not being given projects (small agency).

How different would this CV be vs my graduate cv?

What are the best sites to use? Indeed/LinkedIn

I want to switch from PHP/Laravel to C#/.net core. Would this be possible if all I had was a working project hosted live and on Github?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

devlinio wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm currently 7 - 8 months into my first job. I want to leave as the company isn't a great fit for me. I have a few questions.

I'd ideally like to leave this company before the year is up. How bad does this look? My commute doubled a few months ago due to the company moving out of the city. It's painful. This might be a good excuse. The main reasons for leaving are pay, company culture, and I'm just bored with not being given projects (small agency).

How different would this CV be vs my graduate cv?

What are the best sites to use? Indeed/LinkedIn

I want to switch from PHP/Laravel to C#/.net core. Would this be possible if all I had was a working project hosted live and on Github?

Leaving the company after such a short time is not a big deal in my opinion if they genuinely have relocated and the distance is unreasonable.
    At this stage in your career, you would probably be considered a junior developer and therefore could be moved onto anything so long as you showed an aptitude to learn and willingness to get stuck in. Your biggest challenge would be getting passed HR screening if you were applying for a position that you had no prior experience in. If your working project was of sufficient complexity and you had demonstrable skills picked up from it (like TDD, source control management or perhaps some CICD) it would give you a good platform. Perhaps a cert in .NET Core would help you get your foot in the door but not guaranteed.

Good luck.

Advertisement