Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Loop/Tour of Kildare Clash?

Options
  • 04-08-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how they managed to book both events for the same day? Obviously both will lose out as many of the same people (including me) did both rides as they were a week apart for the last few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Pity.
    Two great spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

yeah that's a shame alright - I really like both events and would always do the two of them.
    So that's two big events on the same day, and even in the same county!

I was hoping maybe one of them might have switched dates, as the following weekend looks empty enough. Is it the LL that is one week early this year? (I recall Kildare was usually first and then LL the weekend after it)

I prefer the LL route, but Tour of Kildare is run by Naas CC and they really support the Leisure scene running a few events through the season....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

andy69 wrote: »

(I recall Kildare was usually first and then LL the weekend after it)

That's it. could be something to do with how they count the Sunday's and when the event falls. It's probably happened before but I can't recall.

I think I'll do the ToK for the reason you say, plus I can make a day of it by spinning down and back from the event. Hope decent numbers still turn up for the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

I believe LL changed there date with no reason given, much to the chagrin of the ToK I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

First sportive for me will be the Leinster Loop on Sunday

I can't see any recommended stops on their site. Could someone more familiar with the route suggest one? I'm doing the 130k so would like to stop around the 70k marker, gotta get past half-way :D

Looking forward to it, bought the jersey and all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

Whyner wrote: »

I can't see any recommended stops on their site. Could someone more familiar with the route suggest one? I'm doing the 130k so would like to stop around the 70k marker, gotta get past half-way :D

There's an official stop just outside Carlow, tea, coffee, sambos and cake, just follow everyone else

They usually have a foodstop at Carlow (about 80km in).
    Previous years they then had a couple of roll-outs from that, as groups, with a lead car for each (loved that idea actually!)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

It's a shame really they clash, no sense to it at all. I'd hoped to do the Tour of Kildare but can't now due to unforeseen circumstances.

did I hear right? Stephen didn't even show up this year for the LL?
    (overheard it at the ToK fodstop today)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Well Martin Earley did at the ToK :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Yep it's true allright something about unexpectedly not being able to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Yep it's true allright something about unexpectedly not being able to attend.

I heard the same- I do hope all is well with him regardless.

I always found him to be a gentleman with a bit of class about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

He was also due on the Miriam O Callaghan show last night according to the TV guide but didn't appear. I wasn't watching it, genuinely.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    I heard the same- I do hope all is well with him regardless.

I always found him to be a gentleman with a bit of class about him.

yeah must be something up alright - hopefully everything is ok. It was great to be able to ride alongside with him at the LL, always full of chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Great event this one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Tic tacs, a can of coconut water and some sudocream.

Tic tacs, a can of coconut water and some sudocream.

Dont forget the glooves. Pretty nice actually, although mine are too small.

I got a Large and if anybody got a XL and would like to swap please let me know :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

bazermc wrote: »
    Dont forget the glooves. Pretty nice actually, although mine are too small.

I got a Large and if anybody got a XL and would like to swap please let me know :D:D

What's the point of gloves with no padding? Genuine question

I've never seen so many muffins in my life as I did yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Advertisement

Stop handle bar tape get manky with sweat snot etc. Gloves can go in the washing machine. Handle bar tape can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

bazermc wrote: »

Stop handle bar tape get manky with sweat snot etc. Gloves can go in the washing machine. Handle bar tape can't.

Well that's a most creative explanation for cheap 'cycling' gloves. Cycling gloves have pads for obvious reasons- without pads you may as well get a 2 euro set from Aldi or Lidl

Cycling gloves are fingerless to aid control and dexterity; are worn primarily by race cyclists to avoid cuts and scrapes in the event of a fall; and if styled well they compliment the team/club kit. Very unlikely to keep you warm.

Sweat/Snot comes from the general 'head' area so I don't imagine putting these gloves on one's head! Yes we all wipe our noses etc with gloves but changing bar tape regularly is a better option. We are all a bit mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Nice fast spin has to be said,
    Thanks to all marshals and volunteers,
    Muffins were smashing.
    Very nice touch to have the parents of the Orwell lady who got killed in February to start the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I see they've moved the leinster loop to July 1st, and they've changed the longer route to include a huge chunk of the n81, which is a horrendous idea imo, its a horrible road to cycle as its tight and the traffic is fast... I really enjoyed hammering out the castledermot stretch last year and had been looking forward to doing the route again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

I see they've moved the leinster loop to July 1st, and they've changed the longer route to include a huge chunk of the n81, which is a horrendous idea imo, its a horrible road to cycle as its tight and the traffic is fast... I really enjoyed hammering out the castledermot stretch last year and had been looking forward to doing the route again.

Also featuring the drag into Dunlavin from the Tour de Foothills, always a bit of a bitch with some hard KMs in your legs.

I'm not too familiar with the N81 from Tullow up to Baltinglass but if it's anything like the stretch from Baltinglass to Blessington then it'll be a nervy time on there.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes, it's not like there weren't options there to avoid the N81 if they wanted to mix it up, if it doesn't go down well we could see a change again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Tullow to Baltinglass is my neck of the woods and its a very twisty road from Tullow to Rathvilly. I try to stay off of it as much as possible when out and tend to only be on part of it and early on a Sunday morning.

Having said that there a couple of clubs/events in the area and theres always a decent volume of cyclists using the route. To my knowledge there have been no known incidents on it so at least there's that.

The surface of the road is not perfect but far from the worst like backroads around Rathdangan area of Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 a_shed

Just looking at the 145k loop and there's about 25k on the N81. I know it's been said above that there's always a decent volume of cyclists using the route. My experience of sportives is that the volumes thin out dramatically towards the end but this is normally dependent on 2 things:
    1. Overall number of cyclists doing the route
    2. Mass start or not

Can anyone advise on this? I'd like to do this event but I hate cycling alone on busy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

a_shed wrote: »
    Just looking at the 145k loop and there's about 25k on the N81.  I know it's been said above that there's always a decent volume of cyclists using the route.  My experience of sportives is that the volumes thin out dramatically towards the end but this is normally dependent on 2 things:
      1. Overall number of cyclists doing the route
      2. Mass start or not

Can anyone advise on this?  I'd like to do this event but I hate cycling alone on busy roads.
    Advice would be be hang on to the group then you wont be alone.
    Seriously though its a nice route and well organised go for it. They will go out like the clappers so go in second or third group and it will be much more sustainable. Did it  last year and was fairly flying till we got to Castlecomer and the hill split thing up. Dont recall traffic being an issue except in the town of Athy where there were lights. After the food stop in Carlow we were taken out in waves with a lead car. So if you end up on your own there would be another wave in 5 minutes or so. I assume will be same this year but route is slightly different.

Advertisement