Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake Pads pulling metal shavings from rims?

Options
  • 15-10-2017 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Was cycling the daily driver earlier and noticed a scraping when using the back brake.

Got home and went to investigate thinking maybe the pads had worn through or something.

To my surprise the pads weren't actually all that work and had a fair bit of life in them but there were little metal slivers buried into them. There was also little metal flakes stuck into the small grove/seem on the braking surface.

So I've de-slivered the pads and sanded them down a bit and used a precision screwdriver to get the flakes out of the seem and wiped the rim down.

Question is, are the rims shot now or are the pads the problem?

A little googling suggests this is an issue with certain Shimano pads on aluminium surfaces?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Shimano pads are harsh on rims in my experience. I stopped using them a few years ago. People like them because they last a long time but if the pads aren't wearing, the rims are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Shimano pads are harsh on rims in my experience. I stopped using them a few years ago. People like them because they last a long time but if the pads aren't wearing, the rims are.

Yeah I'm going put on swiss-stop or something similar and give the rims a wipe with some steel wool tomorrow and then see if it happens again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it possible that some grit got caught in the pads and started abrading the rims, picking up metal as it went?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

I noticed that all the rim brake blocks I bought since 2016 are a different compound, harder and with only about 70% the braking efficiency of the earlier compounds I've tried Shimano, BB, Brand X etc. and all are the same (probably the same manufacturer involved).
    When you clean the brake blocks, don't use sandpaper as it leaves grit on the surface, use a wire brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Al Wright wrote: »
    I noticed that all the rim brake blocks I bought since 2016 are a different compound, harder and with only about 70% the braking efficiency of the earlier compounds I've tried Shimano, BB, Brand X etc. and all are the same (probably the same manufacturer involved).
    When you clean the brake blocks, don't use sandpaper as it leaves grit on the surface, use a wire brush.

I've decided I'm not using the cartridges again, going to buy softer compound swiss-stop or similar. The wheels aren't exactly new but this shouldn't be happening all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Had this once on a wet day some grit got into pads and they stripped the paint off the rims on long hill. I just changed the pads.

Advertisement