Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭monkeycork

Slicks or possibly Stripes
    One of those was across the road where Gallagher's is now but I can't remember which was which.

1980s it was stripes, 1970s it was hills. I'm looking for the name before that

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aisleseat

JohnK wrote: »
    jackrussel wrote: »
    A place called “burnt” is coming soon on princess street where wildways was. Seen them bringing in dry wall/slab in. Wildways has been closed a few years so it’s good to see something going in there

Passed there yesterday and the signs said its a Neapolitan pizza place - going to be a bit of competition with Oak Fire Pizza opening soon on the other side of the street.
    This place is seemingly being opened by the guys who own EducoGym. I hope they're not going to fatten us up and then sell us a 12 day body transformation :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I saw on a jobs website they are looking for a manger of a children's clothes shop in Mahon Point.
    It might be Mothercare but it only mentioned clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

thejuggler wrote: »
    Also in Ballincollig Eco's are said to be opening in the old Republic Bar and Grill location.

I wonder if this is ever going to happen? The unit is still empty. Also, the diner that "Sams" opened seems to have closed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

I wonder if this is ever going to happen? The unit is still empty. Also, the diner that "Sams" opened seems to have closed again.

Very strange. Opened for a few weeks and then closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

aisleseat wrote: »
    This place is seemingly being opened by the guys who own EducoGym. I hope they're not going to fatten us up and then sell us a 12 day body transformation :P

Be a good way to drum up business :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Corkforever

aisleseat wrote: »

I believe they are the same crowd behind Soma. Lots of different business types. Probably a good idea in case one industry suffers 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Salad Box opened up in Douglas Shopping Centre a few months ago. I go there for lunch about once a week but it always looks very slack in there, especially in comparison to the O' Briens across the way from it. Initially I thought it was just early days but now it seems like it's struggling. I hope it stays open as it's good having healthy options around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

O Dwyers is opening where Rachel’s was next weekend. Gastropub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Anyone know what's going on with Wow Burger? Closed the last few times I passed it, including Friday evening and this afternoon.

No signs or anything to suggest something is up.

Edit: still closed this evening at about 8pm. Rest of the building (captain America and suas) open and people heading into the building. They've hardly shut wow burger already have they? If didn't look heaving busy at any stage I passed but it's only been a few months, hasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Restaurant isnt happening now, its for lease again. Late bar / cocktail bar in the front opening for Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

clio_16v wrote: »
    Restaurant isnt happening now, its for lease again. Late bar / cocktail bar in the front opening for Xmas

Oh that’s a pity about the restaurant. I liked Republic. Hopefully something similar will go in. Jeez, there’s a brand new kitchen there - the Gateleys weren’t there very long!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Oh that’s a pity about the restaurant. I liked Republic. Hopefully something similar will go in. Jeez, there’s a brand new kitchen there - the Gateleys weren’t there very long!

Its a pity really. Republic was actually quite good but its hard to maintain a place of that size. Bar is doing no business now and burger place didnt seem to do much either. Place has so much potential, hopefully new manager can make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Anyone know what's going on with Wow Burger? Closed the last few times I passed it, including Friday evening and this afternoon.

Edit: still closed this evening at about 8pm. Rest of the building (captain America and suas) open and people heading into the building. They've hardly shut wow burger already have they? If didn't look heaving busy at any stage I passed but it's only been a few months, hasn't it?

Wouldn't be surprised to see this. Was there with a friend last Saturday night around 8pm and we were the only customers there for the entire time we were there. Best part of an hour spent in there and no-one was there when we arrived, and no-one came in before we left. Very odd.

The Dublin one I went to a few weeks back had much better food and atmosphere, though the latter may be partly down to it being in the basement of a pub and with a beer tap in the restaurant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Only been to wow burger once and did not finish my burger and I love burgers it was that bad.

It tasted like a bad rocken joes and extremely high-fat content in their burgers were I got proper lumps of fat in my burger.

Still, west cork burger is hands down the best burger you can get in cork.

Only time I ate in Wow Burger was in Dublin at 3 in the morning so I have no idea if it's good or bad! Was just surprised to see it seemingly closed so soon after opening given its popularity in Dublin.

Have only been to West Cork Burger Co once but it was good. Had Son of a Bun last week and thought it was quite stingy with the toppings. Had never thought that before so won't write it off but it's not somewhere I'd go often anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭opus

Well if you look at the wow burger website, the Cork location has disappeared so guess it's bit the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭snotboogie

For a “businesses opening in Cork” thread, during a supposed economic boom, there seems to be far more announcements of businesses closing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Not suprised about wow burger - worst burger I’ve had in Cork, best in Cork for burgers is West Cork Burger company or Bunsen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

snotboogie wrote: »
    For a “businesses opening in Cork” thread, during a supposed economic boom, there seems to be far more announcements of businesses closing

Hairy baby opening in douglas shopping centre.
    Still waiting for Superdrug in Blackpool

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

OH has been into revamped Dunnes Bishopstown Court. Says in looks very good. Will call myself this week, hopefully.

Have to say I thought the burgers were good in Wow burger, pity its gone but there are plenty of other options too around the city with Bunsen, coqbull etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

That was quick, especially since I think it's the same company that owns Wagamama so for them to close that to open Wow Burger and have it fail is surprising.

Wonder would they revert it back?

That was quick, especially since I think it's the same company that owns Wagamama so for them to close that to open Wow Burger and have it fail is surprising.

Wonder would they revert it back?

Back to wagamama? That'd be pretty sweet!

That crowd - Press Up Entertainment - have quite a few brands to burn through yet though.

Workmans Cork?
    Liquid Lounge Cork?
    Vintage Cocktail Cork?

Hmm... Probably not the right location. Maybe a Stella Cork Diner instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Sad to see East close in the Winthrop Arcade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Water John wrote: »
    OH has been into revamped Dunnes Bishopstown Court. Says in looks very good. Will call myself this week, hopefully.

Very swish all right. Lovely butchers and cheesemonger (?) section.

A smidgen dark. Not quiet "cant see where you're going" , but dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Haha I agree, although Dunnes call it 'ambient' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Sad to see East close in the Winthrop Arcade

This is a pity alright - although I think it's kind of bad form that they haven't put it online anywhere. Unless I missed it? The Rocket Man are usually pretty active on social media.

• Advertisement

It's not finished yet. The old lighting will be replaced soon.

Advertisement