Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R.I.P. Kauto Star

• 30-06-2015 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

Had to be put down after breaking a pelvis. Great horse.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2015/0630/711642-kauto-star-put-down-following-fall/

Kauto Star has been put down after sustaining a complex fracture to the left side of his pelvis, the Racing Post has reported.
    Kauto Star won two Gold Cups and five King George races in a glorious career.

Edit to add more.
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=9728524&category=0

"The vets made him comfortable but it became evident that it was serious, and the kindest thing was to euthanise him. It was a horrible moment. He was such a wonderful horse, but he did not suffer."

In her report detailing the injuries that resulted in the dual Gold Cup winner being put down, Lawrence wrote: "Three bones appear to have been fractured, the ilial shaft, tuber ischi and the greater trochanter of the femur.

"There also appears to have been a fracture to the spine at the base of the neck, probably between C6 and T2. This ultimately was the most significant injury as it produced the paralysis that made it impossible for him to stand.

"The secondary problems that contributed were pneumonia as a result of being cross tied and unable to put his head down, and laminitis which was the result of the toxins in his body and having to stand for so long."

The 15-year-old won 23 of his 41 races, including winning the King George five times and Cheltenham Gold Cup twice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Oh no. sad end for a great horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I had heard he was sick but I thought he was in a stable condition... well at least he wasn't in pain furlong.

Great horse in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Just saw it on Twitter. Very sad news :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

My most favourite athlete ever to grace a race course. So sad. 😢

Did he fall in the field I wonder? No details about what happened him yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

R.I.P. Kauto.....my favourite racehorse of all time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A truly magical horse. The heart of a lion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Form humble beginnings, sprung a legend:

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭jj mac

LEGEND. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

A perfect chaser year after year, a modern Arkle. He had the longevity and consistency of the mighty Desert Orchid, but with true brilliance to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,212 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    R.I.P. Kauto.....my favourite racehorse of all time :(

this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

It's amazing the effect that animals have on people.

I'm gutted...loved him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Always in the Denman camp but always appreciated Kauto and how good he was.

Real shame he died after a fall in a paddock, hope he wasnt in pain for long before the vet got to him.

RIP Superstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Shemale wrote: »
    Always in the Denman camp but always appreciated Kauto and how good he was.

Real shame he died after a fall in a paddock, hope he wasnt in pain for long before the vet got to him.

RIP Superstar
    +1. Much preferred Denman but only appreciated what he fully achieved when he was retired and the lull in his division when both he and Denman were gone. For me it was his King George victories that cement his legendary status. 5 wins, a stat unlikely ever to be bettered.Too bad we didn't have more Denman vs Kauto Star battles with both at full health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I always felt Kicking KIng at his best was better than either Denman or Kauto Star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Forgive my ignorance in veterinary matters but is the healing process for such an injury so much of a trauma for a horse that euthanasia is the better prescribed course?

youtube! wrote: »
    I always felt Kicking KIng at his best was better than either Denman or Kauto Star.

LMAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Shemale wrote: »
    LMAO

He won a Gold Cup and 6 grade 1s and then got injured, god knows what he would have achieved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

P_1 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance in veterinary matters but is the healing process for such an injury so much of a trauma for a horse that euthanasia is the better prescribed course?

I think he was paralysed. He wasn't able to move when he fell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Ive heard that Paul Nicholls only found out this morning before the press release. He wasnt told about his condition over the weekend at all.
    Bad form really.

I think he was paralysed. He wasn't able to move when he fell

I'm only surprised they didn't put him down sooner. Injuries sounded horrendous.

He had a neck and pelvis injury one on its own is bad both together are catastrophic.

The problem with horses is the strength, power and bullishness, its very difficult to get a horse to stay in one position to enable damaged bones to heal

youtube! wrote: »
    He won a Gold Cup and 6 grade 1s and then got injured, god knows what he would have achieved!

He also only beat Monkerhostin before his injury and the third best 3 miler(Neptune) in Nichols yard beat him the guts of 20L, Kauto beat him easily a few times too iirc.

Ive heard that Paul Nicholls only found out this morning before the press release. He wasnt told about his condition over the weekend at all.
    Bad form really.

Jesus Christ did they really leave him stricken for 2 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Please don't compare kauto star to arkle,because there is no comparison! They had to change the handicap system because of arkles greatness.he gave stones away,no horse in modern times will ever emulate him.kauto was kauto and arkle was arkle.there is and never will be a "modern day" arkle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I've mixed feelings, mainly because I was the idiot who bet against Kauto in every bloody race.

"He's got to lose sometime!" I kept telling anyone who was mad enough to listen.

That was just at the end of 2006/ start of 2007 when he went on that 6 race winning streak.

And naturally enough, when he actually did start losing I started backing him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

I got a little teary eyed hearing this awful news yesterday & again today reading all the tributes in the post, RIP Kauto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Never ever second guess the stupidity of owners.

To allow the most famous chaser in recent times to not live the rest of his life in an easy retirement was nothing less than shameful IMO. Turning the horse to dressage at 12 years old was madness.

The £3.8m the horse earned in money terms was equally matched I'd imagine in the joy of owning and and seeing this horse be the most prolific chaser in recent times.

Nicholls must be gutted. He had him for 9 years.

"We are going to try it, what is wrong with that?"

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »

To allow the most famous chaser in recent times to not live the rest of his life in an easy retirement was nothing less than shameful IMO. Turning the horse to dressage at 12 years old was madness.

The £3.8m the horse earned in money terms was equally matched I'd imagine in the joy of owning and and seeing this horse be the most prolific chaser in recent times.

Some horses are happier in work. And 12 is plenty young for a horse to be in work. He fell in the field so its not the owners fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

He was a working horse. Heart and courage. Seen so many interviews with people involved with him after retirement from racing that he loved working, always eager to go. He loved hunting too and his lass had a tough job holding onto him when hunting/ hacking and dressage work.
    Kuato had a freak accident when in a paddock which probably would have happened if he had a nice easy retirement.
    So IMO your opinion is a truck load of horse dung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Kauto was a lovely horse. He used to bring a fence or two home with him. Remember when he fell, remounted and got done by a head. Some dolehead meeting on a monday, was about 5/1 on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

fits wrote: »
    Some horses are happier in work. And 12 is plenty young for a horse to be in work. He fell in the field so its not the owners fault.

I understand what you are saying, but it didnt happen at Ditcheat in the 8/9 years that he was there. Maybe it could have.
    idnkph wrote: »
    He was a working horse. Heart and courage. Seen so many interviews with people involved with him after retirement from racing that he loved working, always eager to go. He loved hunting too and his lass had a tough job holding onto him when hunting/ hacking and dressage work.
    Kuato had a freak accident when in a paddock which probably would have happened if he had a nice easy retirement.
    So IMO your opinion is a truck load of horse dung.

Hey thats all it is, dont be upset.

I understand what you are saying, but it didnt happen at Ditcheat in the 8/9 years that he was there. Maybe it could have.

Of course it could have. He was a big lanky horse that could still get up to speed i reckon. All it takes is a slip while playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Reading the Racing Post article today seems to indicate that there may have been a second injury while tied up in his stable on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Kauto doing dressage is no different to a rugby player or premier league soccer player taking up golf in retirement. It keeps them active, fit and thinking. Retiring him to a field would be the same as letting him sit on the couch watching Jeremy Kyle type daytime tv. Some horses need to have a purpose or a job to do, doing nothing does not suit all animals and they go backwards.

Advertisement