Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Old Radiator Valves

Options
  • 25-04-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I have a 80's house with one heating zone that I plan on adding some wireless trv's to give me more heating control.
    The problem is the valves are 1/2 inch to the heating pipe and 3/4 inch to the radiator. I've tried a few plumbing shops that have worked for me in the past but nothing. They just have the standard trv valves with two 1/2 inch connections. I've still one shop that are fairly knowledgeable to try but figured if anyone here might know of any place to stock something that might work. All the radiators apart from newer ones in an attic conversion are 3/4 inch connections.
    If I don't find anything I'll have to see if a plumber can rig up a connector. There is one rad with a trv with a jury rigged connector and it looks messy but its 11 radiators so too expensive to replace them.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I have a 80's house with one heating zone that I plan on adding some wireless trv's to give me more heating control.
    The problem is the valves are 1/2 inch to the heating pipe and 3/4 inch to the radiator. I've tried a few plumbing shops that have worked for me in the past but nothing. They just have the standard trv valves with two 1/2 inch connections. I've still one shop that are fairly knowledgeable to try but figured if anyone here might know of any place to stock something that might work. All the radiators apart from newer ones in an attic conversion are 3/4 inch connections.
    If I don't find anything I'll have to see if a plumber can rig up a connector. There is one rad with a trv with a jury rigged connector and it looks messy but its 11 radiators so too expensive to replace them.
    Have you considered changing the radiator tails?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Cheers for the response. I did. The only ones I found so far would add about an inch to the width on each side so wouldn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

Wearb is referring to the short pipe that goes from your radiator valve to the central heating flow and return under the floor. Your floors are likely concrete though so may be more expensive than replacing the radiators when labour and interfering with the flooring is considered.

Ah ok. Thanks.
    Yes, would definitely be more expensive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »

Cheers. I'll have another look. The ones I looked at were on the valve end not the radiator end. Not sure if they will fit but worth a look. Trip to plumbing merchants in the morning.

Advertisement