Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer is too good to be true?!

Options
  • 24-04-2019 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    just had a fella call to the door with a leaflet with an "amazing" offer on it. Basically, its a free Climote and free installation. I know that Hub Controller are doing something pretty similar but I'm not sure if this is in our best interest down the line when we replace the boiler (I know that grant is gone) and we'd replace our controllers.
    We have two controllers in our house, one is for the down stairs heating and the other is for upstairs and it also controls the hot water. I can't seem to find the amount of the grant on SEAI but the fact that this offer only changes one of the controllers, I'm wonder if it is worth our while looking into it??
    I've attached the flyer so anyone who does heating controls and knows about the grants might let me know what you think.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Similar to a post you did a few months back, but I’ll let it run for now.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Wearb wrote: »
    Similar to a post you did a few months back, but I’ll let it run for now.

Thanks Wearb. I think the leaflet gets the offer across better than I tried last time around!

bungaro79 wrote: »
    Thanks Wearb. I think the leaflet gets the offer across better than I tried last time around!

Ok Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Some randomer knocks on your door and offers you something for free on a leaflet with no headed paper company name or logos.
    Sorry, but it screams some sort of scam to me, be ultra careful about letting people that you have no knowledge of their credentials into your home.
    I had someone phone me telling me that they had been looking at our gas consumption and that their boiler service and system check would save us money yada yada yada.
    I played along for a little while asking what percentages of savings would we see on our bill etc before laughing at them while I told them I have an oil boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Be wary OP; the leaflet looks very similar to one that was distributed in my estate last year. Same deal- free installation of certain controls etc all covered by the SEAI grant. I was wary anyway- there is no such thing as a free lunch. The "contractor" involved was based about 2 hours drive away so I already had my doubts. A little bit of digging revealed how this "free" offer works- contractor offers to fit certain boiler controls, TRVs, zone controls etc- all fine and well, the grant available from SEAI is around €800 for the work proposed. The catch, I believe, is these guys use fairly cheap controls and fittings etc, possibly not the greatest quality, all wiring surface mounted etc. So maybe €250- 300 of parts, another €200-300 for labour and there's a nice €200 of pure profit for the outfit, works well if you've got lots of the same house type (in a typical estate), in-out and €200 per house! Funnily enough my neighbour signed up at the time but when the day to install came they were a no show, seems like there was more work involved in what they proposed to do and they just pulled out. These guys are only interested in simple installations with no problems, imagine engaging their services and having any problems after- how would you get them back. Reputable and well established businesses don't make cold calls, they don't need to- they are booked out weeks in advance. That's my tuppence worth anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Electric ireland are doing the same offer of supplying and installing a climote for 99 euro, and you don't have to use the SEAI grant. I had it done and its one of the best improvements to the heating system i've done. Simple and easy to use. If you go down the SEAI route you need a a BER done before you can even apply for it, so that will cost you more than the electric ireland offer

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Check www.seai.ie there is a grant to a max of €700 for heating controls but must be done by a registered contractor.

Thanks for the replies. I was never going to go with the guy who cold called but it was definitely interesting seeing another company do this offer.

jeepcj wrote: »
    Electric ireland are doing the same offer of supplying and installing a climote for 99 euro, and you don't have to use the SEAI grant. I had it done and its one of the best improvements to the heating system i've done. Simple and easy to use. If you go down the SEAI route you need a a BER done before you can even apply for it, so that will cost you more than the electric ireland offer

I just had a quick look on the Electric Ireland website there jeepcj and it looks like its only 90 to get it done now! And the Nest is 130 with a free Google Mini

• Registered Users Posts: 33,138 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you have to be on benefits to avail of this EI offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

jeepcj wrote: »

You don’t need to get a BER done before you apply for the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

No

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    No

MOD NOTE: NO WHAT?
    please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

There a a monthly fee for the Climote after the first year according to the EI website.
    Interestingly they don't say how much it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Had a quick look at the mail I got from EI when I got Climote, they wanted 19e for the year (that was back in July 18 so may have changed by now) but this is only so you have the ability to use Climote when out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

We are getting a full replumb of our recently purchased house and will be getting the controls via the SEAI grant with the plumber.
    Will we still need to get the Climote via electric ireland or is it all the same?

Advertisement