Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Military Leader of all Time

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Its been a while since I looked at this thread...and its come to life again

I'm sorry but I do not see that Russia could possibly have conquered Europe in the absence of a second world war.

Best Tank of WW2....T34
    Best all round Plane of WW2...IL2
    Best General of WW2....Zhukov
    Greatest Production of Planes and Tanks...Russia
    Greatest source of ManPower....Russia

No second World War...no beef between Russia and USA...due to Japan being between their interests....

Round 1
    Russsia Versus Germany
    (historically conclusive)

Round 2
    Russia Versus England & France
    Considering round 1 and what Germany did in the eary stages of the war (historically conclusive)

Uknown factors...Soveit Armour Tactics, Germany's Military management, Co-operation between Germany and France (Final solution, Hitler's land grabbing)...
    Deep operations was a 'heretical cult' (Antony Beevor) so far as Stalin was concerned - a side result of his extermination of his generals. I mean a victorious Russian army with Voroshilov in charge? I think not. That left Russian tactics in first world war mode and only the need to defend Russia brought about a change in Stalin's tactics.

omfg....does a change of General staff change anything to do with the task of defending the motherland?

The enemy is the same, the borders are the same, the army/equipment is the same...different people have to mange the new task...but ultimatly all strategic decisions were Stalins...it was his finger on the map and that was as to be done!

Moreover, with Russia attacking the Western powers, Japan would have sought to fight the USA and so the USA would have entered the war and been trying to develop the nuclear bomb regardless of events in Europe - and with the destruction of the German plans, the Russians would have been hamstrung by the world's first nuclear power if the bombs had been deployed against Leningrad and Moscow as they were against Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

such utter bollocks!

I'ds say that USA would have let Japan and Russia piss each other off...and would Niels Bohr have bothered his arsed to create such weapons..if Einstein hadn't goaded FDR into the idea in the first place...commiting USA to a European war is no easy feat and Russia could not have the resources to piss them off

USA would have pushed for peace and Russia....considering the logistics of attacking on a new Landmass...Stalin would have took it with a sneery smile......

now after I have disected that Turd of a post....you go and say that Germany would have been a pushover by Russian Standards...

So say if you were Stalin and have Nearly all of Europe and you look at France and ask France to hop in line...and if France declines WHAMMMO!!!...
    popular Labour party in Britain, Russia offers Colonial Consessions, Britain possibly at war with Japan over Burma at this stage....

Russia could have taken Europe...Germany were the only ones that could have stopped them...and you've flip flopped far enough for one thread

back on track...Joffre worse than Haig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Best Tank of WW2....T34
    Best all round Plane of WW2...IL2
    Best General of WW2....Zhukov
    Greatest Production of Planes and Tanks...Russia
    Greatest source of ManPower....Russia

No second World War...no beef between Russia and USA...due to Japan being between their interests....

The Sturmovik was a piece of **** compared to the British planes.
    Greatest Source of manpower was China.
    Best general, I absolutely agree, greatest production was actually the USA.

The Russians and the Americans would have clashed over ideological concerns; American political thought has always been dominated by realism and a Russia with access to the Indian Ocean as Imperial Russia had always wanted did not bear thinking about - which is precisely what a dominant Russia would have wanted.
    Quoted from SearrarD
    omfg....does a change of General staff change anything to do with the task of defending the motherland?

One word. Finland. It was Voroshilov who started out in charge of the Soviet Army, so foregoing a German invasion would mean it was still he, not Zhukov who would have lead any invasion of Western Europe.
    Quoted from SearrarD
    The enemy is the same, the borders are the same, the army/equipment is the same...different people have to mange the new task...but ultimatly all strategic decisions were Stalins...it was his finger on the map and that was as to be done!

Wrong, it was not Stalins hand on the map come the more successful periods of the second world war - hence he launched a new purge after the war to clean out the Generals he thought had made names for themselves.
    Quoted from SearrarD
    I'ds say that USA would have let Japan and Russia piss each other off...and would Niels Bohr have bothered his arsed to create such weapons..if Einstein hadn't goaded FDR into the idea in the first place...commiting USA to a European war is no easy feat and Russia could not have the resources to piss them off

USA would have pushed for peace and Russia....considering the logistics of attacking on a new Landmass...Stalin would have took it with a sneery smile......

now after I have disected that Turd of a post....you go and say that Germany would have been a pushover by Russian Standards...

IF Hitler had not attacked Poland and Russia had instead attacked Germany, given that Russian tactics were still based on lining up troops rather than proper tactical positions (except in Southern Russia / Ukraine), Russia would have had to go through Poland - which is another enemy on to the list - and Rumania, and Antonescu would have been quaking had there even been a hint of a full scale invasion; the Germans would have been well readied. The Russians were in no way prepared to fight a war - and while fighting a war anyway, they would have removed the troops from the East, knowing from Richard Sorge that the Japs would go after the US islands that ringed them in - as well as striking south for Singapore and the British territories.

With this in mind, consider that Britain, faced with an attack in the East and a possible threat to the continental balance of power (a model she followed assiduously) from Russia, whatever the protestations of Winston Churchill, might have decided that the best way to save her own empire was to forge an alliance of necessity as she had so often done in the past; with Germany, France and the USA - some allies in one theatre, others in another. And don't forget that Italy and Romania, (ever vengeful after Russia seized her north-eastern oilfields) and Bulgaria would have been allied against a Russian incursion, disgusted even more by 'bolshevism' than by Nazism, which as we know many members of both French and British governments sympathised with.

Russia, while producing plenty had not the resources to fight Germany alone in the beginning - and by the time she would have been ready to fight Germany properly (ie after the same initial shock of losing so many battles had worn off enough to allow Stalin to change STAVKA around and re-institute single-heirarch command), the other western powers would have been looking to the east with fear and apprehension - possibly enough to catapult them into the war. Stalin was prepared to sacrifice the Ukraine whole to stave off an invasion; with that thought in mind remember that Russia was not capable of fighting an offensive war had there not been a second world war.

With the USA, China, Britain and France slowly but surely bleeding Japan dry in the east and with their own armies more than likely bogged down in the west due to the same problems of supply that they faced on the drive the Berlin and given that the Germans would have had a much better organised fighting force in a war fought without Stalingrad, the Soviets would have realised they were going nowhere - and that if Japan was defeated, she might face a two prong counter-attack. The USA having been at war with Japan would have developed the nuclear bomb - and probably still even have dropped it on Nagasaki and Hiroshima, leaving the Russians no chance in hell.

One last thing, your little declamations are entirely puerile so I suggest you take some time to grow up before you reply.

oh for crying out loud...

1 Best ALL ROUND plane

2 China wasnt a GOD DAMN country at this stage...(please say you are not counting Mao)

3 Soviet production at 1944 - 1945 (completion of industrial planets and tank designs) out paced all other production combined

4 Strategic Decisions are are the goals made out by Stalin...the General staff must complete them...

5 "Uknown factors...Soveit Armour Tactics, Germany's Military management, Co-operation between Germany and France (Final solution, Hitler's land grabbing)..." did you miss this part of my post?

6 USA and Russia were on friendly terms withregards to japan
    commiting USA to a European war is no easy feat
    considering Russia had now way of antogonising the yanks...how would they end up stuck in normandy or defending the Germans (with german immagrants speaking of the Jewish troubles?)
    So how would USA get into a war with Stalin

READ MY DAMN POST BEFORE YOU REPLY PLEASE!

Quoted from SearrarD
    READ MY DAMN POST BEFORE YOU REPLY PLEASE!

Now now child, you must learn to keep your temper.
    Quoted from SearrarD
    China wasnt a GOD DAMN country at this stage...(please say you are not counting Mao)

Sorry, why wasn't China a country yet?
    Quoted from SearrarD
    Strategic Decisions are are the goals made out by Stalin...the General staff must complete them...

USA and Russia were on friendly terms withregards to japan

No, strategic goals could be made by anyone, they just had to have Stalin's approval.

And no, one of the first thing any GCSE student learns about the second world war is that the USA decided to use the atom bomb in part because they wanted to keep Russia out of Japan, despite their earlier hope that Russia would aid them. They were already pissed off at the Russian march of Manchuria - in fact that laid the foundations for the Korean War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

you see, what eomers problem is, is that he isnt able to just give facts, he has to put some stupid quip in after he makes his point. makes him feel big. and its perfectly safe for him to do it , cos its on the internet. of course if he were talking to someone face to face, he naturally wouldnt have the bottle to say that, which makes him not only a hippocrit, but also very sad.

so eomer post your little comeback, and feel safe, you sad little man.

Quoted from Spoiirt
    you see, what eomers problem is, is that he isnt able to just give facts, he has to put some stupid quip in after he makes his point. makes him feel big. and its perfectly safe for him to do it , cos its on the internet. of course if he were talking to someone face to face, he naturally wouldnt have the bottle to say that, which makes him not only a hippocrit, but also very sad.

so eomer post your little comeback, and feel safe, you sad little man.

I'm sorry Spoiirt, I didn't mean to tread on your insecurity complex.

Ground Control to Major Èomer...

Sorry, why wasn't China a country yet?

The Republic of China (1911-49)

1931 Japan occupied Manchuria
    1937- 45 Sino-Japanese War

I wouldnt so much as call it a war, but foreign occupation seems to take a country out of world standings in terms of industry, military but not politics.....

Conquered and rebelled chinese got their independence in 1945 after Japan's surrender to the USA.....àlthough fighting an Axis power they had nothing to offer the Allies efforts

And no, one of the first thing any GCSE student learns about the second world war is that the USA decided to use the atom bomb in part because they wanted to keep Russia out of Japan

WTF?
    GCSE students make baby Jebus cry!

Please back up that wild accusation por favor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Geromino

Originally posted by SearrarD
    Ground Control to Major Èomer...

I wouldnt so much as call it a war, but foreign occupation seems to take a country out of world standings in terms of industry, military but not politics.....

Conquered and rebelled chinese got their independence in 1945 after Japan's surrender to the USA.....àlthough fighting an Axis power they had nothing to offer the Allies efforts

WTF?

China was in the midst of civil war (Gen Chiang Kai Chek vs Mao) when the Japanese invaded Manchuria. Before that, the last emperor fell because of the Boxer Rebellion in 1902 which resulted in a fragile government that European colonial powers tried to manipulate. Chek and Mao combined their forces through a temporary peace to resist the invaders. It is true that China did not have the tanks and airplanes to complete with Japan, but it was still a very real war of attrition. Talk to any Chinese whose forefathers were involved in WWII, and they will say it was a real war. And contrary to what you may have learned, only the coastal cities with their surrounding areas and Manchuria were completely conquered. Central (Mao) and southern (Chek) China were not. One proof is the American Volunteer Group of Col. Charles Chenault (The Flying Tigers) that fought the Japanese in several significant air campaigns.

Best General
    I am going to use a different approach and talk about tactical genius. I would put three in this category: Yamamato who revolutionized naval combat by making the carrier, not the battleship, the premier weapon, Chenault who revolutionized air combat tactics, and Rommel who epitimized blitzkrieg tactics to an art form. Close second include Patton, Zhukov, Bradley, Montgomery, Hap Arnold, and Nimitz. World War II probably had the greatest number of innovative combat commanders since the war has been studied.

Best "Plane"
    You are going to have to have three categories here: fighter, bomber, and fighter-bomber.
    Fighter: In the early part of the war, it was the Spitfire, Me 109, and the Zero (type 21). Later part of the war, it was the P-51 Mustang, with a metro-merlyn engine, and the P-47 Thunderbolt

Bomber: It has to be the B-17 Flying Fortress and the British Lancaster bombers. Close second include the B-24 and B-29 as well as the numerous medium bombers that dominated World War II.

Fighter-bomber: This is a tough one, but it goes to the British Typhoon and the Russian Il-2. Both of these planes were built with the specific purpose of close air combat support and tank busters.

Best Tank
    There were three types of tanks in World War II: main battle tank, infantry support tank, and scout tank. I know there were hybrids like the Panther and KV-2, but these were more likely armoured defense busters than anything elses.

Main Battle Tank: Since there were only two in World War II, Tiger and the T-34, the winner will have to go to the T-34. It had slightly better armour and endurance while the Tiger was the "Mercedes" version of all tanks.

Infantry Support Tank: The M-4 Sherman, M-3 Lee, Matilda, Churchill, Mark iv and Mark iii tanks were all equally good, but the best infantry support tank has to go to the Sherman. It had better armament and armour for the task, but was not a main battle tank. It cannot knock out any Tiger or T-34, but was primarily used to support infantry when attacking defenses, like that of the old tanks in WWI.

Scout Tanks: The only one that I can cite from memory is the M2 Stuart. However, scout tanks were not used very much and the only reason why I put this category here was because they were used intermittenly in various battles in the European and Pacific theater.

Quoted from Geromino
    China was in the midst of civil war (Gen Chiang Kai Chek vs Mao) when the Japanese invaded Manchuria. Before that, the last emperor fell because of the Boxer Rebellion in 1902 which resulted in a fragile government that European colonial powers tried to manipulate. Chek and Mao combined their forces through a temporary peace to resist the invaders. It is true that China did not have the tanks and airplanes to complete with Japan, but it was still a very real war of attrition. Talk to any Chinese whose forefathers were involved in WWII, and they will say it was a real war. And contrary to what you may have learned, only the coastal cities with their surrounding areas and Manchuria were completely conquered. Central (Mao) and southern (Chek) China were not. One proof is the American Volunteer Group of Col. Charles Chenault (The Flying Tigers) that fought the Japanese in several significant air campaigns.

Good grief, Geromino and I actually agree on something.
    Quoted from SearrarD

So you admit then that China was a country?
    Quoted from SearrarD
    WTF?

What the bugger is that meant to mean?
    Quoted from SearrarD

With pleasure....
    Tensions show with Russia in Europe; (other evidence to show American hostility to Russia)

Essay concerning the views of Stimpson and Byrnes (SecWar and SecState respectively) Please note also here that Stimpson openly refers to the ominous threat of Russia.

From the above link also, we have the quote from General Leslie Groves (the project manager at Trinity New Mexico) that..."The real purpose of building the bomb was to subdue the Soviets."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

sorry i took a while to reply, didnt have internet access
    Originally posted by spanner
    A Mediterranean blockade? Do you forget the German conquest of Greece, Cyprus and the absolute battering that Malta took?
    so are you trying to tell me that the german navy was in control of the mediterranean? because i think you should definately do your homework there, there might not have been a water tight naval blockade on the part of the british but by the stage when rommel and monty were fighting in north africa british naval power was by far superior in the med. even though malta took a beating it stilled remained in british hands. britain always retained gilbraltar and fortified it up to the hilt so that germany could not move its alantic navy into mediterran or a large amount of its submarines in. this meant that german occupation of greece and cyprus were useless in terms of there naval impact in the key year of 1943

This is irrelevent; at no time could Germany have won the war once convoy shipping began; the losses to the German U-boat fleet were unsustainable and the sinking of the Bismark effectively marked the end of Germany's attempt to grab the seas.

i think it is relevent because the germans did sucessfully disrupt british maratime machine and if hilter had maybe placed more emphesis on building up his submarine corp and surface vessels britain would have been hurting a lot more at sea. It is very relevant because the german naval campain severely affected the british war machine and the british civilian life with rations been imposed. I think if it hadnt been for the british cracking the german engima code the naval battle might of turned out a lot different.

Wrong. The enemies that Germany excelled against were outdated years before the advent of blitzkreig (which was a Russian idea by the way) - for example the Polish and the French armies still utilised the ancient stationary gun-emplacements-and-fortress battle lines which were entirely undermined when paratroopers came on the scene - and paratroopers were not restricted to the German army either. All I have to say is Operation Uranus and Operation Little Saturn.`

it is true to say that thepolish army wasnt as up to date as the germans but come on are you trying to tell me that france which would be considered as one of the top armies in the world were "outdated". I think you are arguing a losing battle to suggest that the german decimation of the entire french army, the british expenditionary force, the entire low lands,poland most of the balkans was nothing but spectatular. add to that europe was expecting this war for 8 years at least so france had plenty of time to prepare(even if the magnot line wasnt probably the best defence) its still no excuse to say the french and british were "outdated". they were considered the most powerful countries in europe.
    yes Operation Uranus and Operation Little Saturn were a sucess in the way they encircled the german 6th army but with the italian 8th army what chance did they stand of breaking out or of the german general hoth breaking in.

Stalin's coups prevented 'deep operations' coming to the fore in the Russian tactical rulebook (because Stalin's crony Voroshilov oh he of Finnish War infamy was not in favour of it) and despite the fact that Stalin had executed plenty of the young blood of his army in 1938, they still were pulled around by Zhukov and annihilated the 4th Panzer Army and 6th Army at Stalingrad plus defeated an overstrength Leibstandarte division later in the Winter of '43.
    no one denies Zhukov was definately a great military leader but i belive the the reason why the germans lost the battle of stalingrad was the fact that hilter intervened directly in the battle not allowing a tatical retreat which General Friedrich Paulus favoured. so the germans had to fight street to street urban warfare which they were not used to and with the fanactial attitude of the russians because the city bore the name of their leader the battle was eventually won.

No you said that if Hitler had left decisions to his generals, then the war could have been won; this is not the case; the German officer corp were severely anti-bolshevist and wanted to destroy Russia also - they would have invaded, with or without the Balkan campaign and if they had made the invasion of Russia without the Balkan campaign, then Russia might have been worse hit but Britain would have been in a much better position in North Africa and the Mediterranean - and the landings at Dieppe may have ended up landing in Taranto given the deployment of German troops!

i think you misunderstand me, i do not mean that decision like were they were going to evade would be left up to the generals, what i meant was operational decisions during the battle were hilter intervened and made a mess. this was evendent in the battle of stalingrad.the Caucasuses oil fields seemed to be at Hitler's mercy. Then he changed his mind and ordered part of the forces that were to occupy them to the siege of Stalingrad instead. By diverting them to this ultimately futile attack Hitler wrecked the Caucasus campaign, which had a good chance of success. the battle of stalingrad was the verdun of the second world war and should never have been entered into the way it was by germany.

i think this arguement you are trying to prusue that german military machine wasnt the best or even one of the best is going no were. russias size and variable weather conditions meant that even the best eurpean armies have not managed to conquer it.
    [/B]

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan

So you admit then that China was a country?

Not a functioning one :D

backing up
    And no, one of the first thing any GCSE student learns about the second world war is that the USA decided to use the atom bomb in part because they wanted to keep Russia out of Japan

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan

Tensions show with Russia in Europe; (other evidence to show American hostility to Russia)

Essay concerning the views of Stimpson and Byrnes (SecWar and SecState respectively) Please note also here that Stimpson openly refers to the ominous threat of Russia.

From the above link also, we have the quote from General Leslie Groves (the project manager at Trinity New Mexico) that..."The real purpose of building the bomb was to subdue the Soviets."

The report is very sketchy on Russina developement, nothing more than hear-say and one or two personal opinions and the report is based on 1945 (the end of the war) and the interview was conducted at the hieght of the Cold war...towards the end of the war, with USA wary of Russian Developement and Industrial strenght...

That report doesnt back up what those GCSE students are learning mate!
    There is no reference to Russian interest in the Japanese Islands

...and Seeing as atomic bomb testing revealed itself as a war changing weapon...The Report shows USA quickly sought to hide all from its evidence/results...Russia being the main contender and unfortunatly ideologicly different...cold war tensions really developed from there...yet co-operation before hand showed that Russia & USA although at opposites strokes of life seemed to work well together...

If the atomic bomb had not been developed by any country in that war would circumstances been different?...

Not so for Europe and but how USA & Japan ended things yes, things would have changed....

[Back on track]
    No WW2 and
    If Russia took the initiative and attaked Germany in 1941 at the same time USA was busy dealing with Japan...would USA interfered with a European war where none of the parties was allied to her and if Russia had no way of antagonising her?

Russia could have taken Europe...Germany were the only ones that could have stopped them...

Uknown factors...Soveit Armour Tactics, Germany's Military management, Co-operation between Germany and France (Final solution, Hitler's land grabbing)...

I am about to go to bed here so I will get back to the rest of the posts in due course but I had to ask spanner about this quote
    Quoted from spanner
    it is true to say that thepolish army wasnt as up to date as the germans but come on are you trying to tell me that france which would be considered as one of the top armies in the world were "outdated

Go and read Sir Basil Liddel-Hart's history of the second world war. France's army was almost as outdated as that of Poland. If you want more evidence, I have told you where to find it, I am not going to type it all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

Compared to the germans at the start of ww2 most armies were outdated. the most obvious area where you can see this is in their tank forces, but also in aircraft and tactics most armies lgged behind the germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Originally posted by shock
    Compared to the germans at the start of ww2 most armies were outdated. the most obvious area where you can see this is in their tank forces, but also in aircraft and tactics most armies lgged behind the germans.

my sentements exactly, germany outshone every european nation and russia at the time. so Éomer of Rohan you only prove my point more which is that the german war machine was brillant and to be admired but not there policies. in my opinion it was the greatest war machine since the days of julius cesear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by spanner
    it is true to say that thepolish army wasnt as up to date as the germans but come on are you trying to tell me that france which would be considered as one of the top armies in the world were "outdated".
    This isn't true; the Polish army suffered not because of technical inferiority, but because of politcal blackmail and pressure from Britain and France. Because of the disputed areas that were given to Poland (from Germany) after ww1 - mostly around the city of Danzig (the first battle in the invasion of Poland), the Poles knew that they would be the first target. As a result, they attemptd to modernise and build up their army to modern standards. England and France, fearing that such a move would be viewed by the Nazis as an act of aggression, pressurised Poland into halting it's more advanced development, such as the 10tp prototype tank.

Poland's _actual_ army was more advanced than the Germans in some respects. Their main assault tank, the 7tp (a variation of the British Vickers MarkE tank) was superior to the German equivalents (we're talking Panzer Is here) As for their horses, well most German artillery and infantry were still horse-bound. Their Anti-tank rifle was so effective, that captured ones were pressed into German service, and renamed. The best pistol in the world was regarded as the Polish ViS pistol. Poland fell because of the stunted military growth and having to fight two military giants on two fronts - not only lasting a month, but continuing open fighting after occupation.

PS - in fairness, the Austro-Hungarian army staff were far worse than their allied counterparts and Haig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

who were more dumb than the french in their strategical defense in 1940?!
    the maginot line? what a joke:D

In fairness to the Maginot Line, it was built when in a country that felt trench warfare for 4 years during ww1, and the emergence of tanks as infantry charges support (not as a frontline offensive vehicle). France's generals were veterans of the battles of Verdun, Somme etc... It was made with this philosophy of battle in mind, not the mobile warfare that came about (the French military command ignored the "blitzkrieg" tactic promoted by one Charles deGaul - before the German implementation; and in fact struck him off the promotion list for pushing this tactic).
    The line fell because the Germans bypassed it at a section that was unbuilt around the Ardennes forest - if complete it could have been as formidable as the Atlantic wall that cost so many allied lives when they tried to breach it head-on 4 years later.
    The idea was impressive; a line of heavy defences running from one end of a country to another, with artillery turrets that could rise and fall, beneath the ground into bunkers if attacked. Smart idea.

so, what happened?
    why the french didn't concentrate their forces in the ardennes?! is it a question of tanks who were to heavy for this sort of fight?

me think the french have been always late of one war! and i asked myself too why the general de gaulle hasn't been heard.

well as I said already, the way that tanks were seen by most of the western world at that time were as support vehicles, not as front line tanks AT ALL. The German forces actually had big problems knocking out the French somua (which were captured and also folded into German service) and the B1 tanks; it was simply a question of miss-use of the tanks by a backwards thinking French chief of staff. They spread their tanks thinly across the front line ( don't forget they had an entire country to defend, not just one area). They also didn't expect the Germans to drive entire tank columns through a forest (again - ww1 thinking).

The only commanders that had some common sense on how to use their tanks were DeGaul and LeClerc, who scored victories in the major battles they fought; they both managed to escape to Britain to eventually lead the FreeFrench forces after D-Day. The French had more tanks and men than the Germans, it was how they were used that lost the battle :(

why US didn't help us sooner?

• Advertisement

The french government employed a stationary defence in an age of mobile warfare and they suffered for it. Their army was fine, much like the British in the previous war, it was the General Staff which was at fault.

The US did not intervene sooner because they had no interest in helping the colonial powers in a war that was sure to wear them out and be good therefore for American business, much like World War One. The reason they did intervene when they did was nothing to do with a decision to intervene, it was the result of a lack of choice since Germany declared war on the USA not the other way around.

The french government employed a stationary defence in an age of mobile warfare and they suffered for it. Their army was fine, much like the British in the previous war, it was the General Staff which was at fault.

Eomer, thats a parital answer. Mostly it was because of disorganisation of logistics, and the call up of reserves, which clogged the roads preventing quick deployment of troops. The french believed they needed large armies to protect the border and so called up pretty much everyone they could. Also French tanks found themselves without fuel, crew, and ammo, because their logistic trains had been given incorrect instructions. Also morale was low, since France was racked by many political upheavels, unemployment was on everyones minds, and French industry was failing. It was an Empire abt to die, with or without German invasion.

Regeneration, France had the largest collection of Tanks in the world at that time. They were fascinated by them. The only problem was that the majority were dated from WW1, which meant they were just as unrealiable as when 1st made. The majority were broken down when German Troops crossed the borders. If they had been operating, there would have been enough spread across the border to stall the German advances, enough so that French troops could create a stagnant line of defense. Problem was, that France has neither the equipment or training to back up French General's plans.

http://www.ac-strasbourg.fr/etablissement/sites_etab/MARCKO/maginot/rledela.htm

well, it's in french, but in short, it's said that a strategical defence with the maginot line have been choose but this strategy can't not allow a motorised army. charles de gaulle didn't like it, he would have prefered an army more free to move.
    so, the german attacked by the north in a neutral zone (belgium bord). then the maginot line was indeed unraped but the funny thing is that the germans used it against the coalition in 44:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The reason they did intervene when they did was nothing to do with a decision to intervene, it was the result of a lack of choice since Germany declared war on the USA not the other way around.

Thats just silly logic. The germans declared war on the US simply because they knew, 100% for sure that the Americans were going to declare war on them, and it was good for propaganda purposes for Hitler at the time.
    The US did not intervene sooner because they had no interest in helping the colonial powers in a war that was sure to wear them out and be good therefore for American business

The reason the american public did not want to intervene is this, hence why the President had trouble declaring war. However all along he had wanted to decalre war, not for financial reasons, but for moral reasons.

Quoted from Klaz
    Eomer, thats a parital answer

Yes I know but I had neither the time nor the inclination to reveal all that I know about the reasons for the fall of France - most of which comes from the histories of the Second World War which I have read, prominent among them (in relation to this) being Liddel-Hart's.
    Quoted from PHB
    Thats just silly logic. The germans declared war on the US simply because they knew, 100% for sure that the Americans were going to declare war on them, and it was good for propaganda purposes for Hitler at the time

First, at no time is war ever inevitable or assured - history has taught us this to the cost of historians such as Thucydides who have views to the contrary.

With regard to good propaganda purposes, what propaganda could possibly be good for the Nazi regime given that Germany experienced a wave of dissatisfaction following the realisation that the fall of France was not going to end the war? The German working class did not particularly want to be extending the scope of their enmities - Russia and the Judeo-Bolshevik conspiracy, given the distortion of history in Nazi Germany, was understandable, though of course, that does not mean we have to agree with it; Russia was a very real and immediate threat to Germany's east and to secure continental domination, they had to emasculate it. Britain was the old rival, and France was beaten. War with America was pointless considered from this perspective.

Moreover, war with America was not assured; Congress had not voted for war, though they had been rocked out of their complacency by the attack on Pearl harbour; in fact, many senators and congressmen were of the view that a war on two fronts was a bad idea - that bankrupting Britain was excellent while they were in need, and proceeding to demolish their remaining Empire (along with the Dutch, Portugese and French to boot) while rolling back Japan was the best policy to follow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Re Americans entering the war
    Wern't they already in occupation in Iceland, escorting convoys and attacking U-Boats before that.

And don't forget it was the Poles who broke enigma. If you've ever read HG Wells -" a tale of things to come" interestingly he predicts Poland attacking Germany and China attacking Japan...

The poles had huge victories against Russia in the early 20's (one reason in addition to the political systems why they didn't want to allow the russians to cross their teritory) and another big problem in '39 was that the military were ordered to defend the boarder rather than fall back to a defensible position like the rivers..

Anyway had the French invaded German (through Belgium ?) in 39 things could have been a lot different ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the dictator of Paraguay, Francisco Solano López, believing that the regional balance of power was threatened, went to war with Brazil. Bartolomé Mitre, president of Argentina, then organized an alliance with Brazil

The war left Paraguay utterly prostrate; its prewar population of approximately 525,000 was reduced to about 221,000 in 1871, of which only about 28,000 were men.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-86360

Can't find a reference but apparantly momogamy was banned for a while afterwards as the ratio of women to men was about 10:1

Totally crazy stuff - one man in three in the army was allowed to execute anyone up to captain for suspected treason !

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Anyway had the French invaded German (through Belgium ?) in 39 things could have been a lot different ...
    It all stems from ww1 - if the treaty of Versailles was scrapped in favour of Woodrow Wilson's "7 points" plan, Germany wouldn't have been broken, it's attempt at democracy wouldn't have failed; and the rise of fascism and communism (probably) wouldn't have happened. To a certain extent, I accept France and England's attitude at the end of the war; that Germany should have been made to pay, but to foot the cost of an entire war, and give up it's land was incredible (especially considering that Germany and the Austro-Hungarian empire were both experiencing famine during 1918), and we paid for it with another, more disasterous war that STILL has echos today.

we paid for it with another, more disasterous war that STILL has echos today.

We didn't pay for it, Central Europe did. Ireland wsn't really affected by the war, except that we reaffirmed our version of "neutrality".
    Germany wouldn't have been broken, it's attempt at democracy wouldn't have failed; and the rise of fascism and communism (probably) wouldn't have happened.

Germany was broken before the Treaty. With almost two generations of men dead, No industry left to speak of, very few natural resources, and a wave of disease sweeping the land, Germany was screwed regardless of the treaty. The Treaty just pushed them even further into the grave. Both Fascism & communism were around long before WW1, and were surfacing in other countried other than Germany. Germany just was the catalyst for the massive change that swept Europe in the 30's.

Don't get me wrong though. The Treaty was truely evil. The Allies pretty much guaranteed a war once Germany managed to pull themselves up.
    The poles had huge victories against Russia in the early 20's (one reason in addition to the political systems why they didn't want to allow the russians to cross their teritory) and another big problem in '39 was that the military were ordered to defend the boarder rather than fall back to a defensible position like the rivers..

True, but you have to remember that Germany re-wrote the textbook at the start of WW2 in regards to warfare. Simply put, the poles were applying WW1 tactics against an Russian army that was rotting from the inside. Added to that, compared to the Russian the Poles were organised, and well equipped. However against the germans in 1939, they were the infants in the playground. German troops were well trained, well equiped, and more than willing to strike a blow against the world. The measure of morale is a very important factor in this, especially since alot of Poles had been conscripted into the army, and wanted to be anywhere but there.

Yup. Germany would have been justified in invading and occupying France. Had the French invaded, I (personal opinion) don't think they would have succeeded. The Germans already on a war footing would have determined their plans easily, and could have countered them easily. then they could have occupied France without any interference from Britain or any other nation. Friom there, they could have built up their navy, and taken out Britain without drawing the whole of Europe into war. Which probably from a German standpoint would have been far easier.

Originally posted by klaz
    We didn't pay for it, Central Europe did. Ireland wsn't really affected by the war, except that we reaffirmed our version of "neutrality".
    We singulary as a nation didn't, but viewed as Western civilisation, "we" paid for it. Plus Ireland didn't completelysee the war pass us by; we were bombed a couple of times (albeit by accident); the treaty ports were a bone of contention with Britain, and even Germany tried to drag DeValera onto the axis side with temptation of Dunkirque weapons and vehicles left behind by the BEF in exchange for German use of Irish ports.
    Yup. Germany would have been justified in invading and occupying France. Had the French invaded, I (personal opinion) don't think they would have succeeded.
    I don't think it's as clear as that. Assuming that a joint British-French force invaded Germany, I don't think it would have been beaten back _that_ easily. The british matilda tank and French somua as I said were problematic for the Germans, and the number of troops Britain committed was sizable; deGaulle would have eventually changed allied tank movements purely based on results - and remember that most of Hitler's generals were _against_ invading France, and Hitler basically pressurised them into following his orders. You're still probably right - Germany had the edge at that point in the war.

• Advertisement

In regards to Ireland, i've always thought that Ireland acted in a way that tarnished our Neutrality. British pilots shipped to Britain free to continue the war, while German Troops were either arrested or passed to the British for questioning.

As for France invading Germany, they had heavier & better tanks. But the germans had the best airforce in Europe, which would have decimated the slow moving Allied tanks. Added to this, German Engineers were well trained and equipped, capable of laying minefields and tank traps quite easily against allied formations in a very short time. Personally i'd say the only cause for worry would have been a seaborne assault in the north, by British forces, with the aim of taking out the northern cities. Isolated from the Sea, Germany would have lost the majority of resources being imported into the country. But on a land footing, I think Germany would have slaughtered the allies.

In regards to Ireland, i've always thought that Ireland acted in a way that tarnished our Neutrality. British pilots shipped to Britain free to continue the war, while German Troops were either arrested or passed to the British for questioning.
    Did we really have a choice? We couldn't openly support the allies cos our economy was non-existent; we invited the risk of invasion and attack on our convoys. We _certainly_ weren't going to side with the axis. I think the idea that we were "neutral" is silly - we were only neutral in terms of military might and speeches.
    As for France invading Germany, they had heavier & better tanks. But the germans had the best airforce in Europe, which would have decimated the slow moving Allied tanks. Added to this, German Engineers were well trained and equipped, capable of laying minefields and tank traps quite easily against allied formations in a very short time.
    So basically we would find ourself back on a ww1 battlefield; Germany gradually being starved assuming it can't break south to Africa (let's take Italy out of the equation in Africa, cos they were pathetic); it's ships trapped at it's North Sea ports (this was a BIG cause for German starvation during ww1), and stalemate across the French German border.
    Plus both the Me109 and Stuka were obsolete at the outbreak of ww2, especially the Stuka; the French bombers were quite good, and being on the offensive, the French presumably would have more of their decent aircraft in the sky, unlike the Invasion of france, where Blitzkrieg raped them on the ground.

Did we really have a choice?

Yes. Ireland Did. They chose to be neutral. Then stand by being neutral. Being neutral in all points. If they wanted to help the allies, then join the war as part of the allies.

As for being invaded by the allies for being neutral, i doubt it. Then they'd find themselves being painted with the same brush as the germans. The Allies couldnt afford such a reputation. Besides, i doubt the US would have supported such a move, and the British, would have done anything to avoid offending the US.
    Plus both the Me109 and Stuka were obsolete at the outbreak of ww2, especially the Stuka; the French bombers were quite good, and being on the offensive, the French presumably would have more of their decent aircraft in the sky, unlike the Invasion of france, where Blitzkrieg raped them on the ground.

<Frowns> The Me109, obsolete at the start of WW2? Hardly. It outperformed most fighters until Britain brought out the Hurricane or the Spitfire. Germany's main lack in the air was that it had no heavy or medium bombers. The Stuka while vulnerable, was a decent dive bomber, and excellent for a troop support role.

The allied planes at the time, weren't up to scratch. It was only around 1941 that the allies started producing superior planes. Also in regards to warfare if France had invaded Germany, German pilots had already seen action in Spain, and they knew their planes were combat effective. France didn't have that. The only planes they knew that had seen combat, were the ones from WW1. Which wouldn't have been capable of competing with Germany's fighters.

The French bombers, were more than decent. They were very good. But the problem was that german fighters were more capable of taking them out. Also take into account, that the Germans had invested more time and training into developing communication between forward troops and the Airbases. Which would have given the Germans another edge in regards to responding to Allied air attacks.

As for reverting to a WW1 situation, i doubt it. Technology had evolved too much for that. Air power was gaining more support, and the use of mechanised forces more important. I doubt that france could have kept a static front against German attacks.

As for being invaded by the allies for being neutral, i doubt it. Then they'd find themselves being painted with the same brush as the germans. The Allies couldnt afford such a reputation. Besides, i doubt the US would have supported such a move, and the British, would have done anything to avoid offending the US.
    Sorry, I referred to being invaded by axis powers, not the allies. It was a risk, and we were assessed for invasion by the Nazis, using the IRA as a potential ally in unsettling the Irish institutions and infrastructure.
    <Frowns> The Me109, obsolete at the start of WW2? Hardly. It outperformed most fighters until Britain brought out the Hurricane or the Spitfire. Germany's main lack in the air was that it had no heavy or medium bombers. The Stuka while vulnerable, was a decent dive bomber, and excellent for a troop support role.
    the Stuka was outdated at the outbreak of ww2, and the Nazis knew it; there were designs accepted for a replacement fighter-bomber (including some bizarre gyroscopic powered VTOL craft - no kidding; will rummage out the details from de' web), but none were workable, so they continued with the Stuka well past it's sell by date.
    The allied planes at the time, weren't up to scratch. It was only around 1941 that the allies started producing superior planes. Also in regards to warfare if France had invaded Germany, German pilots had already seen action in Spain, and they knew their planes were combat effective. France didn't have that. The only planes they knew that had seen combat, were the ones from WW1. Which wouldn't have been capable of competing with Germany's fighters.
    How did the De-520 perform ? I can't recall - it was France's main fighter, and seemed quite good when I checked.
    As for reverting to a WW1 situation, i doubt it. Technology had evolved too much for that. Air power was gaining more support, and the use of mechanised forces more important. I doubt that france could have kept a static front against German attacks.
    Well assuming that Britain and France kept the Kriegsmarine at bay and penned in the North Sea (though with the inferiority of the British warship design, it was unlikely - how was the French navy?); then the Atlantic would have been relatively free of risk for supplies coming from America; Britain and France's war machine may have quickened pace a lot more, so presumably it would have caught up quicker than it did; a month in reality was never giong to be enough. A pre-emptive strike against known German buildups _might_ have given them the time they needed. Britain would have had less concentrated bombing raids with the front moved to the French border, leaving British factories breathing space to get the medium and heavy bombers rolling off the lines (though RAF bombing innaccuracy would have counted against them) But it's all conjecture :) Kinda fun though :)

Kinda fun though

Hell, yes. Maybe thats why i love WW2 wargames. Gives me the chance to determine the course of the war.

French navy was pretty good - balanced against the Italian navy.
    They had the fastest destroyers ever, and the biggest subs. Also like the Italians wern't big into aircraft carriers since they had so many bases around the med. inc the middle east.

However, a lot of it fled to vichy north africia and was destroyed in a suprise attack by the British, bit like the D Day raids on Cannes in the numbers killed etc. Also there was fighting between British and French forces in madagasgar for several months..

Note: was in cunningham who got the other half of the french fleet to surrender with the loss of no lives or material on either side => the guy who ordered the french fleet destroyed deserves a worst leader badge for deliberatley wiping out a large part of irreplacable allied navy... (IIRC it was Churchill, who was also responsible for Galolippili(SP))

Also like the Italians wern't big into aircraft carriers since they had so many bases around the med. inc the middle east.
    well nobody was really, until the Japanese entered the war; they were really the ones who introduced the notion of aircraft carriers being the future of naval combat. The battle of coral sea was the first major naval conflict where the fighting was with aircraft, not cannons. And of course everyone knows of Pearl Harbour.
    However, a lot of it fled to vichy north africia and was destroyed in a suprise attack by the British, bit like the D Day raids on Cannes in the numbers killed etc. Also there was fighting between British and French forces in madagasgar for several months..

Note: was in cunningham who got the other half of the french fleet to surrender with the loss of no lives or material on either side => the guy who ordered the french fleet destroyed deserves a worst leader badge for deliberatley wiping out a large part of irreplacable allied navy... (IIRC it was Churchill, who was also responsible for Galolippili(SP))
    Now _that_ I could never figure out; surely the Vichy French forces in Africa would have sided with the Allies the moment they engaged with them; why fight and kill men and weapons that would join you in an instant? I think the French garrison during the landings in Operation torch surrendered without a fight?

from school memory, haven't the french navy being destroyed by the british air force in the rade of toulon because they didn't want it be caught by the germans?

Originally posted by regeneration
    well nobody was really, until the Japanese entered the war;British used carriers earlier for anti sub work and convoy escort (invasion of norway) - they had also lost some before japan entered the way. and of course pearl harbour was inspired by raid on taranto.

I think the French garrison during the landings in Operation torch surrendered without a fight?
    do a search on how much fighting was needed in other french overseas possesions - weeks in middle east - months in madagasgar

Re Fench being bombed - correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the british fleet involved as well - point was they wern't given much of a choice and the Germans didn't really have much in the way of surface ships in the Med certainly nothing that could get within shelling range of the battleships or battle cruisers (at a guess they didn't have anything bigger than destroyers there)

• Advertisement

British used carriers earlier for anti sub work and convoy escort (invasion of norway) - they had also lost some before japan entered the way. and of course pearl harbour was inspired by raid on taranto.
    True, but it was the Pacific campaign that galvinised the idea that the way to go for naval superiority was not huge battleships, but speedy aircraft carriers; and around those tiny islands was where it found most success.

not true - two reasons why carriers were used from the twentieswere, they wern't covered by disarmement treaties and in the case of the US those aircraft vs. battleship demos. Look at the numbers of new battleships and the number of new aircraft carriers built by the "blue water navies" after WWI

Also the bismark was hunted down by carriers - and the battle of jutland would have been very different if that spotter planes report had got through a fact the british well knew. Also most carrier users had specialised aircraft fighters, dive bombers, torpedo bombers, reconnisence aircraft in use before the war so had a fair idea of the potential of it -while there is a little truth to say that the sinking of PoW and Renown(repulse?) was the final death knell of the battleship - it wasn't the first (even then there was supposed to have been a carrier - but they thought they'd get away with land based cover - and once that cover had been lost the ships started steaming out of range since the dangers were know.)

Advertisement