Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period help please!

Options
  • 16-09-2020 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi there,
    We have been living in property for 2 years and requested part 4 at the end of the fixed term. Landlord responded with an eviction notice saying he needs the property for a family member.

The notice states we must vacate the property “on or before 31st X month” it’s a few months away within the legal minimum notice period.
    We have been searching for a house and have found one that we can move in to in the next number of weeks.
    My query is, so we now have to give him a certain amount of notice before we move out?! I’m struggling to find anything about this anywhere. Any help greatly appreciated!
    Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

Hi there,
    We have been living in property for 2 years and requested part 4 at the end of the fixed term. Landlord responded with an eviction notice saying he needs the property for a family member.

The notice states we must vacate the property “on or before 31st X month” it’s a few months away within the legal minimum notice period.
    We have been searching for a house and have found one that we can move in to in the next number of weeks.
    My query is, so we now have to give him a certain amount of notice before we move out?! I’m struggling to find anything about this anywhere. Any help greatly appreciated!
    Thanks all!

You already had part 4 rights after 6 months, you didn't need to request them. Is there really a family member? I would be checking on that.
    Tell the landlord when you want to move out...if they really do need it for a family member there will be no issue with your timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 caveatemptor1

stinkbomb wrote: »
    You already had part 4 rights after 6 months, you didn't need to request them. Is there really a family member? I would be checking on that.
    Tell the landlord when you want to move out...if they really do need it for a family member there will be no issue with your timeline.

Thanks so much for your reply - I know we had the rights but in looking around at our obligations, it seemed we did have to let him know what we were planning. Didn’t really mind giving him clarity anyway.
    I agree about whether a family member will move in but we can only go with what he is telling us. Your point is right though, if it is a family member he should be happy to have access sooner. My only worry is would he have any right to challenge us for remaining rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Hi there,

Thanks all!

https://www.rtb.ie/images/uploads/forms/RTBNoticeofTerminationReturnForm.pdf

https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/how-a-landlord-can-end-a-tenancy/landlords-grounds-for-ending-a-tenancy

He has to sign a legal document to state whom in his family he is giving the property to plus sign a notice of termination form and return it to the RTB
    i WOULD NOT MOVE UNLESS he does both these things
    Ask for moving expenses
    The old need it for a family member is the oldest trick in the book going back decades

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

Thanks so much for your reply - I know we had the rights but in looking around at our obligations, it seemed we did have to let him know what we were planning. Didn’t really mind giving him clarity anyway.
    I agree about whether a family member will move in but we can only go with what he is telling us. Your point is right though, if it is a family member he should be happy to have access sooner. My only worry is would he have any right to challenge us for remaining rent?

Absolutely not. It's him telling you to leave, he cannot ask you for rental losses as he doesn't have any. You were quite willing to keep paying the rent, it is his choice to tell you to leave.
    Get in writing who is moving in, his relationship to them, the date etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Rents are falling now anyway, so you should be able to get a better deal elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, yes we have in writing who should be moving in. We have also found a place we are happy with and with a small baby, it’s easier for us to just move on than dragging this out.I think we have been good tenants but at the end of the day, we don’t own the house and we are in a privileged position to find something else we can afford and relatively quickly.
    Thank you all for the advice, it’s been really reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

Thanks all, yes we have in writing who should be moving in. We have also found a place we are happy with and with a small baby, it’s easier for us to just move on than dragging this out.I think we have been good tenants but at the end of the day, we don’t own the house and we are in a privileged position to find something else we can afford and relatively quickly.
    Thank you all for the advice, it’s been really reassuring.

He gave you notice "on or before", as is a standard - if you're happy with new place, you can move out even tomorrow

see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112183070&postcount=15 for more details

PS I assume your fixed period has finished.

meijin wrote: »
    He gave you notice "on or before", as is a standard - if you're happy with new place, you can move out even tomorrow

see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112183070&postcount=15 for more details

PS I assume your fixed period has finished.

Thanks for that, that was our interpretation too. yep fixed period has ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This is gas. OP asks a simple question and people start attacking the landlord telling op not to move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    This is gas. OP asks a simple question and people start attacking the landlord telling op not to move.

They attacked the landlord because as soon as the tenant asked for a part 4 tenancy the landlord told him to get the fook out
    That’s why he got attacked and rightfully so
    The old chestnut
    I need it for a family member is the oldest and most abused excuse in the book
    It’s landlords like this that give good landlords a bad name

brisan wrote: »

?

?

As soon as the tenant asked for a part 4 tenancy the landlord suddenly needed it for a family member and issued an eviction notice
    This after the tenant being in situ for 2 years
    Coincidence ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭DubCount

Rents are falling now anyway, so you should be able to get a better deal elsewhere.

+1. This is how you really control bad LLs. Move to a better option if a LL is out of line. As a bonus, you might get a few quid from the nice people in the RTB for your trouble if the LL later does not use the property for a family member. This is how a functioning market should work.

As soon as the tenant asked for a part 4 tenancy the landlord suddenly needed it for a family member and issued an eviction notice
    This after the tenant being in situ for 2 years
    Coincidence ?????

I was questioning your assumption that there are good landlords. A lot of people don't think there are.

I was questioning your assumption that there are good landlords. A lot of people don't think there are.

I would say the majority of landlords are good landlords
    We were , my brothers are , just the way the majority of tenants are good tenants
    It’s the bad ones that ruin it for everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They attacked the landlord because as soon as the tenant asked for a part 4 tenancy the landlord told him to get the fook out
    That’s why he got attacked and rightfully so
    The old chestnut
    I need it for a family member is the oldest and most abused excuse in the book
    The op is entitled to part 4, so it didn’t make much difference to the landlord as the eviction process is the same now as it is in 2024.

I would say the majority of landlords are good landlords
    We were , my brothers are , just the way the majority of tenants are good tenants
    It’s the bad ones that ruin it for everybody

Anybody can say things, but can you back it up?

Anybody can say things, but can you back it up?

Back what up ???

Back what up ???

Back up your assertion that follows the phrase "I would say".

• Advertisement

Back up your assertion that follows the phrase "I would say".

Well if the majority of landlords are bad landlords I am sure the RTB would be shouting it from the rooftops.
    The fact so many are renting and the only major gripe is price would lead me to believe this
    Also a rental market with too many bad landlords would not function very well
    I think regulation has driven many bad landlords out of the market
    There again it all depends on what you consider a bad landlord
    Would you consider a landlord who only provides a washing machine instead of a washer/dryer to an apartment with no outside space as they are legally obliged to do as a bad landlord ??
    If so that increases the number of bad landlords significantly
    have you evidence that the majority of landlords are bad
    Just because a landlord increase the rent does not make him a bad landlord ...........stupid or ill advised maybe but not bad .

Well if the majority of landlords are bad landlords I am sure the RTB would be shouting it from the rooftops.
    The fact so many are renting and the only major gripe is price would lead me to believe this
    Also a rental market with too many bad landlords would not function very well
    I think regulation has driven many bad landlords out of the market
    There again it all depends on what you consider a bad landlord
    Would you consider a landlord who only provides a washing machine instead of a washer/dryer to an apartment with no outside space as they are legally obliged to do as a bad landlord ??
    If so that increases the number of bad landlords significantly
    have you evidence that the majority of landlords are bad
    Just because a landlord increase the rent does not make him a bad landlord ...........stupid or ill advised maybe but not bad .

The only thing the RTB shout from the rooftops is how good they are, not how bad landlords are.

You think landlords who flout the regulations are" good" landlords?

The only thing the RTB shout from the rooftops is how good they are, not how bad landlords are.

Depends which regulations and how serious you think those regulations are
    A lot of landlords flout the BER regulations ,are they bad landlords
    To me a good landlord provides a good property ,in good order, all facilities intact, does not bother the tenants ,addresses issues efficiently and quickly and charges market or below market rent
    A LOT OF LANDLORDS MAY NOT EVEN KNOW ALL THE REGS.
    I would rather a landlord who met the criteria I Stated and was not registered than one who was registered and did not meet all the criteria

Again what do you consider a good landlord and what do you consider a bad landlord

Advertisement