Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a url - is it worth It?

Options
  • 27-02-2020 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

I have a website name I would like to use but when I put it into the address bar both the .com and the .i.e. domain names have been registered by 2 different domain hosting ccompanies. Is it worth trying to buy the names?

One is called Go daddy (powered by Afternic) and the other is hosting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Ok I have managed to price the .com and it's 10k plus €19 a year so that is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Somebody has obviously bought the domain names and is sitting on them waiting for someone with deep pockets to make an offer. Happens all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I have a website name I would like to use but when I put it into the address bar both the .com and the .i.e. domain names have been registered by 2 different domain hosting ccompanies. Is it worth trying to buy the names?

One is called Go daddy (powered by Afternic) and the other is hosting Ireland

Most simple domain names like abc.com are already reserved. I think it's called domain squatting.

But say .gay launched this September. If you try to register mywebsite.gay it's far less likely that somebody owns it.

I always try to compete in markets where there isn't as much competition.
    There's also .eu .app .blog .tv

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you are thinking your business will succeed based on if the domain name is available or not it's a failure before it even starts. It's the concept not the name...Facebook, Bookface, could have been anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

Try buy the .net version or .io. Plenty of other TLDs to choose from. Agree though, hardly any good .coms left to register new. Alternatively, get creative with the name. think outside the box

• Advertisement
Advertisement