Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Ridiculous talent coming through in the backs. A lad like Kernahan leaving last year. Ulster amaze me with the talent level of the backs. It's a shame that Kernahan didn't go to another province. Moxham looks like a future star. What's in the backs water up there in God's country?

Honestly, I'm not really sure Kernohan was up to standard and I was surprised Moxham got time for the seniors, his skillset isn't the same level as some of our other back three players. Stockdale, Baloucoune, McIlory and Lyttle all young and excellent already though which is fantastic to see. I'd consider Sexton and Moxham longer term projects personally, but that's not really a bad thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »
    McIlroy looks so composed which belies his age. I agree on Balacoune, but think he will overtake Lyttle quick enough to be honest.

The question is how Balacoune's injury has affected him.

Silly to think McIlroy is making Lyttle look just good now.

It’s scary to think how good Lyttle really is and yet we have an academy player like McIlroy looking like there going to leapfrog him with ease already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You have to feel a bit sorry for Billy Burns...

Its bad enough when an Ulster player messes up for Ireland, to be an Ulster player born in England...ouch!!!!

You have to feel a bit sorry for Billy Burns...

Its bad enough when an Ulster player messes up for Ireland, to be an Ulster player born in England...ouch!!!!

Indeed! Be very disappointed if he isn’t given more opportunities!

32 days since Ulster's last match...just 10 days left to the Glasgow match...

Tumbleweed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Tumbleweed....

Yep.

I saw on Ulster's Instagram account that TOT hasn't missed a tackle since October.

That's insane.

Tumbleweed....

Even an A game would be nice.

The BT's Ulster Rugby podcast is quite interesting this week.

They discuss the difference in reaction to James Lowe's defensive 'mare against Wales compared to what would have happened had Stockdale been on the left wing.

Realistically Ger Gilroy and Joe Molloy (more Ger "I don't watch a lot of Ulster but am happy to talk down every Ulster player imaginable at every opportunity" Gilroy to be fair) would have podcasts dedicated to the errors if it had been JS. Lowe has barely got a mention.

Early days for Lowe in fairness, and he is a good player.

launish116 wrote: »
    Even an A game would be nice.

9 days to go

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

9 days to go

Are the A's playing again?

• Advertisement

The BT's Ulster Rugby podcast is quite interesting this week.

They discuss the difference in reaction to James Lowe's defensive 'mare against Wales compared to what would have happened had Stockdale been on the left wing.

Realistically Ger Gilroy and Joe Molloy (more Ger "I don't watch a lot of Ulster but am happy to talk down every Ulster player imaginable at every opportunity" Gilroy to be fair) would have podcasts dedicated to the errors if it had been JS. Lowe has barely got a mention.

Early days for Lowe in fairness, and he is a good player.

Will give it a listen tomorrow. Will let the bitterness and grievance flow through me.

Are the A's playing again?

Don't know...I meant 9 days (now 8 days) until the senior team play again

Will give it a listen tomorrow. Will let the bitterness and grievance flow through me.

I wouldn't say they are bitter about it, they do explain it's all about population size...moat Irelamd fans are Leinster fans, therefore they are more predisposed to being forgiving to a Leinster player...etc etc...it's casual bias I suppose. No different to me defending Ulster players all the time.

The difference is on an all Ireland basis, Ulster has no media pull and we are subjected to the Southern media a lot more which inevitably focuses on Leinster and Munster (not sure what the excuse for ignoring Connacht is)...a bit like folks in Ireland being subjected to the English media when it comes to the England football team at major tournaments I suppose.

Interesting listen whether you agree or not.

On another issue when they make their predictions for Ireland France, one of them, Michael Sadlier I think, sums up the Ulster mentality...he thinks it will take a miracle for Ireland to win...or words to that affect...Indont think you'd ever hear the Leinster or Munster media or players ever say something like that...it made me wonder is that part of the reason why we constantly lose lose the clutch moments against Munster and especially Leinster. We just don't have the same self belief that they have. Pretty small example to draw that conclusion from in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Any outhalf regardless of province would have been slated by media for that missed kick. It's a high profile moment from a high profile position that potentially cost them the game.

I wouldn't say they are bitter about it, they do explain it's all about population size...moat Irelamd fans are Leinster fans, therefore they are more predisposed to being forgiving to a Leinster player...etc etc...it's casual bias I suppose. No different to me defending Ulster players all the time.

The difference is on an all Ireland basis, Ulster has no media pull and we are subjected to the Southern media a lot more which inevitably focuses on Leinster and Munster (not sure what the excuse for ignoring Connacht is)...a bit like folks in Ireland being subjected to the English media when it comes to the England football team at major tournaments I suppose.

Interesting listen whether you agree or not.

On another issue when they make their predictions for Ireland France, one of them, Michael Sadlier I think, sums up the Ulster mentality...he thinks it will take a miracle for Ireland to win...or words to that affect...Indont think you'd ever hear the Leinster or Munster media or players ever say something like that...it made me wonder is that part of the reason why we constantly lose lose the clutch moments against Munster and especially Leinster. We just don't have the same self belief that they have. Pretty small example to draw that conclusion from in fairness!

Ah no, I was just making a joke about my own bitterness and chip on my shoulder.

I think you're a) reading too much into the media differences and comparing apples and oranges. That BT podcast is not the same as Joe Molloy's one, in terms of ambition, potential audience or cost. It's just something that they knock out sporadically. And part of that allows them to say things that are less palatable. But it's not a massively professional podcast.

And b) Leinster are a simply better team, and I don't know when/how we'll reel them back in, especially with that coaching ticket in place. However Munster.... what was the last meaningful, knock-out game we had against them? A final, semi-final or quarter final? Was it when we went down to Thomond and knocked them out of the HEC? It stands to your wider point - I think it was Thornley that said that if Ulster won, Irish rugby would die.

Munster have a Narrative, forged over a number of inspiring games and victories over a decade ago. It sells tickets, it garners clicks, it holds their team aloft. I would say the current facts don't fit that Narrative, but that doesn't mean that Narrative goes away. That Narrative is from a time when they supplied almost the Ireland 1 - 10. They aren't in that position now. I've said it before, and the words might come back to bite me, but with the best 23s playing, I'd be confident of beating them.

I don't think Dan McFarland lacks self belief, and i don't think the players do either. We just need to continue to rebuild.

bayern wrote: »
    Any outhalf regardless of province would have been slated by media for that missed kick. It's a high profile moment from a high profile position that potentially cost them the game.

Absolutely, no one is arguing that, but the point was if Stockdale had made the defensive errors that Lowe did on Sunday, the likes of OTB would have made an industry out of it.

Ah no, I was just making a joke about my own bitterness and chip on my shoulder.

I think you're a) reading too much into the media differences and comparing apples and oranges. That BT podcast is not the same as Joe Molloy's one, in terms of ambition, potential audience or cost. It's just something that they knock out sporadically. And part of that allows them to say things that are less palatable. But it's not a massively professional podcast.

And b) Leinster are a simply better team, and I don't know when/how we'll reel them back in, especially with that coaching ticket in place. However Munster.... what was the last meaningful, knock-out game we had against them? A final, semi-final or quarter final? Was it when we went down to Thomond and knocked them out of the HEC? It stands to your wider point - I think it was Thornley that said that if Ulster won, Irish rugby would die.

Hugh Farrelly I think

Ah gotcha.

My take on rugby coverage is this.

All the complaints Irish sports have about English sports coverage, Ulster fans can legitimately have about Southern coverage of the three other provinces vs Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ah gotcha.

All the complaints Irish sports have about English sports coverage, Ulster fans can legitimately have about Southern coverage of the three other provinces vs Ulster.

Sorry, could you tell me where this Connacht coverage is so I can take a look please? :pac:

At least Ulster usually get a pundit, commentator or co-commentator who has a clue about the team involved in match coverage. Connacht get that maybe, maybe, 1 in 4 matches if they're lucky.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Sorry, could you tell me where this Connacht coverage is so I can take a look please? :pac:

At least Ulster usually get a pundit, commentator or co-commentator who has a clue about the team involved in match coverage. Connacht get that maybe, maybe, 1 in 4 matches if they're lucky.

No doubting Connacht get shafted as well Bazzo.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »

Yeah, in fairness, that's true.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah gotcha.

Nah, the coverage down here is incredibly skewed and biased toward Leinster and Munster.

awec wrote: »
    Nah, the coverage down here is incredibly skewed and biased toward Leinster and Munster.

Yeah, I lumped Connacht in with the other two and I shouldn't've.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

I may have missed it but did Faddes and Matthewson get renewed contracts?

I may have missed it but did Faddes and Matthewson get renewed contracts?

No mention yet.

More importantly...what about David McCann?

Cooney called back into the Irish squad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's kind of a no win for Cooney. He's going to be sent packing soon enough. He has got to realize he could shyte Mars bars and piss Redbreast til the cows come home,, but if Murray somehow hobbles into the training paddock and can stand upright, he's getting picked. Farrell is not omitting a centrally contracted player from the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dubinusa wrote: »
    It's kind of a no win for Cooney. He's going to be sent packing soon enough. He has got to realize he could shyte Mars bars and piss Redbreast til the cows come home,, but if Murray somehow hobbles into the training paddock and can stand upright, he's getting picked. Farrell is not omitting a centrally contracted player from the team.

Will you stop with centrally contracted crap. You’ve been told repeatedly about centrally contracted players that didn’t even make the World Cup squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

salmocab wrote: »
    Will you stop with centrally contracted crap. You’ve been told repeatedly about centrally contracted players that didn’t even make the World Cup squad.

And even if Murray isn't there, Cooney is behind JGP and Casey as it stands so wouldn't be starting anyway. He isn't competing with Murray. Another fact pointed out numerous times in recent months.

Advertisement