Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avengers: Endgame [** SPOILERS FROM POST 613 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

My biggest issue with the film was the idiot beside me who wouldn't shut up and tried to guess what characters were going to say before they said it.

Need to see this film again. I'm sure there's loads of stuff I've probably missed. Midnight screenings are great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

McDermotX wrote: »
    Biggest disappointment -
    who the f*ck brings loads of food , especially loud stuff like crisps (multiple bags I might add) to a midnight showing and then proceeds to stuff their face right up to the last third of the film ?

Agreed who is still opening plastic wrappers in the last 10 mins :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm far closer to my Thor physique than I'd like to be, honestly. Didn't like thor at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Thought it was great....I'd agree Infinity War probably edges it.

Hats off to Brolin who I thought was brilliant again. I liked how his performance was from a different angle.

Actors all did a great job especially Downey Jr.......
    well what can I say about the guy, magnificent way to go out. Loved the look between Tony and Strange as Tony copped what had to be done.

Started to quietly wave my fist in delight when
    the sling rings began to open up to Cap saying assemble.

Bit confused about the
    timeline, specifically around Peter and his mates.

Sorry to hear people had their heads melted by idiots. Decided to go at 9.30 in the hope I'd beat the crowds and thankfully did. No knob behaviour at all.

Thought it was great....I'd agree Infinity War probably edges it.

Hats off to Brolin who I thought was brilliant again. I liked how his performance was from a different angle.

Actors all did a great job especially Downey Jr.......
    well what can I say about the guy, magnificent way to go out. Loved the look between Tony and Strange as Tony copped what had to be done.

Started to quietly wave my fist in delight when
    the sling rings began to open up to Cap saying assemble.

Bit confused about the

Sorry to hear people had their heads melted by idiots. Decided to go at 9.30 in the hope I'd beat the crowds and thankfully did. No knob behaviour at all.

Yep. Said the same re.
    timeline and the school kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

McDermotX wrote: »
    When good, it's very good, but has more than a few eye rolling moments that just stick in the craw.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way :)
    After reading the 1st slew of reviews and impressions here and elsewhere...

I was honestly disappointed.
    I am worried that it's a sign I may be getting older, more cynical and a little jaded but there was much that just didn't hang together well IMO.

Pacing issues and inconsistent story telling and the auld "enemy" of middle aged(I'm not!!)
    White men with a few too many nods to political correctness, moments that I feel mysoginistic or grumpy at feeling bad over!
    But moments that plainly added nothing to the narrative and were contrived solely to give a "right on" moment that were to my mind at the expense of the overall arc of the movie.

It may be a sign that Marvel have done the Avengers arc so very well that these little foibles can detract from what should rightly be seen as a master piece of multi year planning, story-lining and sheer brave audacity in the risks decided on 12/13 years ago that brought us to this point.

I think a lot of movie Marvel fans take it for granted now that Marvel's commitment to their Universe.
    That all characters can and do exist in the same canon, that all stories can be layers of, and vital to an over-arching narrative that will pay off so many times and so many unexpected ways...

That it's now "expected" that others with a similar IP will do similar.
    Marvel's MCU has become a standard that all over comic book and franchise type IPs will be judged by.

The Avengers saga is epic, is brilliant and this draws a wonderful line under it.
    There are parts that I am very disappointed in, last night leaving the Cinema it did seem to be quite a common reaction talking to others.

If I was to give a knee jerk score last night it would have been a 5/10 as there was still a taste of that disappointment lingering.

In retrospect, after digesting my own thoughts.
    It is a very solid 7/10.
    Nowhere near the heights of Winter Soldier, Avengers Assemble, GOTG or Ragnarok...

But still better than a lot of the more recent efforts!

(See why I think I may be becoming a jaded cynic ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Why did i read the non-spoiler comments i may just have to go see it this weekend.

Have to say it was immensely satisfying seeing
    Thanos done in twice. Brolin played him as a proper **** this time which made it all the better. Wasn't expecting him to be decapitated which provoked a few gasps.

I just wasn't a fan of the tone. Immensely entertaining film nonetheless.

And up until infinity war, I could have taken or left the whole superhero franchise.

Well played. Solid 7/10 as a final two films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Bit confused about the
    Yep. Said the same re.
    timeline and the school kids

What is so difficult to understand that the next Spiderman film is in Phase 4 and that Endgame marks the end of Phase 3? It's not a prequel :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

What is so difficult to understand that the next Spiderman film is in Phase 4 and that Endgame marks the end of Phase 3? It's not a prequel :rolleyes:

Spider man is the end of phase 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just finished... Pretty epic in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way :)
    After reading the 1st slew of reviews and impressions here and elsewhere...

I was honestly disappointed.
    I am worried that it's a sign I may be getting older, more cynical and a little jaded but there was much that just didn't hang together well IMO.

Pacing issues and inconsistent story telling and the auld "enemy" of middle aged(I'm not!!)
    White men with a few too many nods to political correctness, moments that I feel mysoginistic or grumpy at feeling bad over!
    But moments that plainly added nothing to the narrative and were contrived solely to give a "right on" moment that were to my mind at the expense of the overall arc of the movie.

It may be a sign that Marvel have done the Avengers arc so very well that these little foibles can detract from what should rightly be seen as a master piece of multi year planning, story-lining and sheer brave audacity in the risks decided on 12/13 years ago that brought us to this point.

I think a lot of movie Marvel fans take it for granted now that Marvel's commitment to their Universe.
    That all characters can and do exist in the same canon, that all stories can be layers of, and vital to an over-arching narrative that will pay off so many times and so many unexpected ways...

That it's now "expected" that others with a similar IP will do similar.
    Marvel's MCU has become a standard that all over comic book and franchise type IPs will be judged by.

The Avengers saga is epic, is brilliant and this draws a wonderful line under it.
    There are parts that I am very disappointed in, last night leaving the Cinema it did seem to be quite a common reaction talking to others.

If I was to give a knee jerk score last night it would have been a 5/10 as there was still a taste of that disappointment lingering.

In retrospect, after digesting my own thoughts.
    It is a very solid 7/10.
    Nowhere near the heights of Winter Soldier, Avengers Assemble, GOTG or Ragnarok...

But still better than a lot of the more recent efforts!

(See why I think I may be becoming a jaded cynic ;) )

I think that sort of sums up how I feel about it.

I have to say that moment where all the
    women heroes come to together to fight in the end battle
    was truly terrible. In a massive
    battle all the woman will gravitate to each other at the same moment
    ?

And captain marvel felt a bit
    over powered to be honest
    . I know people will say that’s how she was in comics but I don’t care for it. I enjoy the movies and making a character introduced only a few weeks ago and making them integral to our heroes journey was bad. It was liking trying to make me care about
    Hawkeyes
    story arc but at least he had been in other movies!

I think 7/10 is a very fair rating. There was some great humor and some savage moments of great cinema. Maybe on second viewing I will like it more (happened with infinity for me) but I actually at the moment I prefer infinity.

V9 wrote: »
    Spider man is the end of phase 3.

It's still not a prequel.

Does anybody
    really care for the replacement or secondary characters who will now take over? I think these 21 movie arc could be marvel hitting its peak and there is only one direction to go from here

Asides from
    GOTG with Thor
    I really don’t care much for any of the
    remaining heroes
    or what happens. I’m thinking I will have to enjoy
    future movies through my children’s eyes.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Does anybody
    really care for the replacement or secondary characters who will now take over? I think these 21 movie arc could be marvel hitting its peak and there is only one direction to go from here

Asides from
    GOTG with Thor
    remaining heroes
    Not really interested myself outside of Cap and Iron Man - RDJ in particular has left big shoes to fill who I just can't see anyone picking up.

Does anybody

Asides from
    GOTG with Thor
    remaining heroes

Was chatting with a colleague about this and it's quite possible. We've been putting in the emotional investment into the series over the last 11 (I think) years and from the reception Endgame is receiving from all sources, it seems that the investment will finally pay off. The hole is filled and we're satiated.

What?

1. it is part of Phase 3, not 4.
    The issue is the everyone who was snapped came back, 5 years after they got snapped. So for any kid in his class that didn't get snapped, they are now 5 years older than their friends who have come back. I assume it will be a point in FFH, where there are friends that have moved on. But the scene we saw also had everyone apart from Peter and his buddy acting normally. It was established at the start of the movie that people were having a hard time. It also plays into my concern from the FFH trailer that there wasn't a visible indication in the scenery or character behavior, that anything at all had happened re/ Thanos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm just going to assume
    Peter, MJ and Ned were all snapped

Does anybody

Asides from
    GOTG with Thor
    remaining heroes
    I think Marvel are going to have to bring in Fantastic 4 (and bring them in succesfully) as a starting point for injecting new life and interest in the franchise. Hopefully they can keep Spider-Man as well, I feel they will need him.

I'm not a fan of Black Panther, but I think Shuri could be a star - somewhat taking over from Iron Man on the tech side.

Will be interesting to see how Eternals and the Asian character are received and play into their plans going forward.

Captain Marvel is the most intresting to me, in that I can't work out how she will play out. She added so little to endgame, I'm not sure why they felt the need to introduce her so late. Her character portrayal is currently not what I would like it to be. I don't know if that is down to timing issues, but if they don't 'fix' her, she will be a big concern. Way too powerful at the moment. I had assumed Endgame would have some plot point would depower her a bit. but no.

• Advertisement

What?

1. it is part of Phase 3, not 4.
    The issue is the everyone who was snapped came back, 5 years after they got snapped. So for any kid in his class that didn't get snapped, they are now 5 years older than their friends who have come back. I assume it will be a point in FFH, where there are friends that have moved on. But the scene we saw also had everyone apart from Peter and his buddy acting normally. It was established at the start of the movie that people were having a hard time. It also plays into my concern from the FFH trailer that there wasn't a visible indication in the scenery or character behavior, that anything at all had happened re/ Thanos.

My bad on the phase 3/4 mixup.

As for FFH: The great Kevin Feige has been quite clear on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Does anybody

Asides from
    GOTG with Thor
    remaining heroes
    Yeah I feel the same. Not sure I'll have the same attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Satisfied with that and will deff watch again

Felt it was fairly slow in parts and you would be waiting for something big too happen but thinking about it now it was excentally paced and obv tied in with IW very well. They kept
    Thors new image
    fairly quite and it was odd too say but nice seeing
    Korg and that the surviving Asgardians got a new home

So
    The Black Widow movie, how will this work if she is Dead ???

loved the battle scene and when
    the vanished came back but a few things. Why was Wasp there as she was never previously involved with any of the characters except for Antman ???. Where was Vision ??
    Felt the
    girl power scene was very in your face.

Loved the
    time travel and seeing younger characters of Dr Pym and Howard Stark. Very sad too see Iron Man/Tony Stark die as he was one of my favourites and was the start of the whole thing. A role RDJ was made for and could never be replaced

So with
    Captain America retired and now Falcon is Cap now (Would of prefered Bucky too get it). Is there any chance we might see Old man cap appear in a mentoring role in the future or is he gone off too his retirement village for good ??

2020 could be a quite enough year in the MCU but its exciting too see where now for them

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Satisfied with that and will deff watch again

Felt it was fairly slow in parts and you would be waiting for something big too happen but thinking about it now it was excentally paced and obv tied in with IW very well. They kept
    Thors new image
    fairly quite and it was odd too say but nice seeing
    Korg and that the surviving Asgardians got a new home

So
    The Black Widow movie, how will this work if she is Dead ???

loved the battle scene and when
    the vanished came back but a few things. Why was Wasp there as she was never previously involved with any of the characters except for Antman ???. Where was Vision ??
    Felt the
    girl power scene was very in your face.

Loved the
    time travel and seeing younger characters of Dr Pym and Howard Stark. Very sad too see Iron Man/Tony Stark die as he was one of my favourites and was the start of the whole thing. A role RDJ was made for and could never be replaced

So with
    Captain America retired and now Falcon is Cap now (Would of prefered Bucky too get it). Is there any chance we might see Old man cap appear in a mentoring role in the future or is he gone off too his retirement village for good ??

2020 could be a quite enough year in the MCU but its exciting too see where now for them
    Re Vision I suppose he wasn't killed by the snap so he was dead dead in infinity wars?

how did captain America age? And what's the point in passing the shield to falcon? The nodding approval of the winter soldier as well? Was that the kid from iron Man 3 at the funeral? Are they setting him up as the next iron Man? Is Natasha gone ? Any idea what the hammering noise was at end of the credits?

Any idea what the hammering noise was at end of the credits?
    A throw back to Tony building his first suit in that cave?

how did captain America age? And what's the point in passing the shield to falcon? The nodding approval of the winter soldier as well? Was that the kid from iron Man 3 at the funeral? Are they setting him up as the next iron Man? Is Natasha gone ? Any idea what the hammering noise was at end of the credits?

I can’t understand
    falcon becoming captain America
    . TWS has
    very similar powers to Cap so it was a no brainer. Is captain America now going to be a tony stark lite character (ie normal joe soap but for his suit). When you think of how falcon and Cap met out running , it was emphasized how much stronger and fitted Cap was to falcon

Cap basically
    went back in time and stayed there
    . When he
    didn’t come back he effectively lived a full life
    . I can’t fully get my head around the
    time paradox. Tony living from 1945 to 2019 would of impacted on at least some things. Did he basically not help anybody ever again or help the world cause to do so would interfere with the future?

Couldn’t work out who that kid was
    at the funeral, I was too busy not caring about jermey renners family/character

Anybody who died
    in infinity war stayed dead. Everybody from the snap survived. Natasha, vision and Gamora we knew are dead. Gomora 2 is replacing her

I can’t understand
    falcon becoming captain America
    . TWS has
    very similar powers to Cap so it was a no brainer. Is captain America now going to be a tony stark lite character (ie normal joe soap but for his suit). When you think of how falcon and Cap met out running , it was emphasized how much stronger and fitted Cap was to falcon

Cap basically
    went back in time and stayed there
    . When he
    didn’t come back he effectively lived a full life
    . I can’t fully get my head around the
    time paradox. Tony living from 1945 to 2019 would of impacted on at least some things. Did he basically not help anybody ever again or help the world cause to do so would interfere with the future?

Couldn’t work out who that kid was
    at the funeral, I was too busy not caring about jermey renners family/character

Anybody who died
    in infinity war stayed dead. Everybody from the snap survived. Natasha, vision and Gamora we knew are dead. Gomora 2 is replacing her
    I took it as Cap retired from fighting once he went back.

Didn't know who that lad was at Tony's funeral either - apparently it's the kid from IM3.

I think Mackie is getting his own show on the Disney channel being launched so it will probably be a grittier/grounded take on Cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I have to say that moment where all the
    women heroes come to together to fight in the end battle
    was truly terrible. In a massive
    battle all the woman will gravitate to each other at the same moment
    ?
    Its a nod to the A-Force comic

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Its a nod to the A-Force comic

Thanks for clarifying McLoughlin.

Whether it was a nod to the comic or to #metoo (could be both ok fairness) , I found it nauseating. It didn’t bring humor or any emotional punch, it added nothing good to the movie.

I am actually looking forward to going to this again becahse there is a lot to love about the movie and maybe crap like that won’t annoy me as much knowing it might of been a comic nod.

Advertisement