Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent not giving bk deposit, won't give us landlords details, help!

Options
  • 26-10-2015 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

We just moved out of a house in England and moved back to Ireland after two years there. Now it's been nearly 3 weeks since our tenancy ended and the estate agent has a check out report which is done by a separate company. This company has listed the most petty tiny little things, and the estate agents has come up with costs themselves, here is the list they are proposing to keep over half of our deposit:

Checkout fee £115.20
    Red pen marks and scratches to heating units and controls £20.00-compensation
    Further cleaning required £120.00-compensation
    Dents to fridge door £15.00-compensation
    Stains and marking to top of stair left hand side £15.00-compensation
    Bannister has pen marks £10.00-compensation
    Several marks to all walls in bedroom two £40.00-compensation
    Several blue pen marks all over bathroom door £10.00-compensation
    Pen marks all over back of bedroom one door £15.00-compensation
    Stains all along top of wall by window and Several marks to all walls in bedroom one £25.00-compensation
    Several marks to wardrobe door in bedroom one £10.00-compensation

Please know also that new tenants took the place two days after we left. There were cream carpets all upstairs which I professionally cleaned, we have two young kids, the stains they state was mold which I tried to remove plenty of times while we were there. There is no explanation of the further cleaning required. We spent at 1000 travelling back and forth from Ireland to clear out the house and clean it. We feel this is all wear and tear and just a way to steal our deposit.
    Also when we first rented the house it from a different estate agent who don't charge a check out fee. This new estate agent are trying to charge 115 check out fees!! Mind blowing.

The estate will not give us the landlords details so we can appeal to her directly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You really need advice from a UK based site. Tenancy law and entitlements are hugely different here and in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

You'll have to deal with this under UK law.
    However I think a lot of those charges for marks on paint work & pen marks should come under normal wear & tear and shouldn't require "compensation". A property cannot be let out for two years without some wear & tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Junadl

Ok shall I delete my post then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement