Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Chritmas songs" with nothing to do with christmas.

Options
  • 08-12-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭

There are some songs you always hear around christmas, some lyrics have to carefully listened to before you can even find why they are "christmassy".

Frankie goes to hollywood, "the power of love" is one that bugs me, maybe it was a christmas no.1 or something but I cannot see what it has to do with christmas, yet is played a lot around the time, and appears on "christmas albums".

Aled jones "walking in the air" is another, it was used in the film "the snowman", but other than that I see no connection, unless it was also released around xmas. (but then the likes of pet shop boys "always on my mind" which disgracefully beat "fairytale of new york" to being a xmas no.1, in the UK anyway, but you never would see it on an xmas album).

Are there any other ones like these? and what about the christmas song flops, I was in tescos and heard a Queen christmas song, it was appalling, never heard it before and can see why. You dont hear U2's one much which I quite like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

rubadub wrote:
    There are some songs you always hear around christmas, some lyrics have to carefully listened to before you can even find why they are "christmassy".

Frankie goes to hollywood, "the power of love" is one that bugs me, maybe it was a christmas no.1 or something but I cannot see what it has to do with christmas, yet is played a lot around the time, and appears on "christmas albums".
    Aled jones "walking in the air" is another, it was used in the film "the snowman", but other than that I see no connection, unless it was also released around xmas. (but then the likes of pet shop boys "always on my mind" which disgracefully beat "fairytale of new york" to being a xmas no.1, in the UK anyway, but you never would see it on an xmas album).

Are there any other ones like these? and what about the christmas song flops, I was in tescos and heard a Queen christmas song, it was appalling, never heard it before and can see why. You dont hear U2's one much which I quite like.

Check out the video and you might understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

smashey wrote:
    Check out the video and you might understand.
    I remember it a bit, usually turn it off since I hate it! all starry and stuff.

I presume the "force from above" bit is referring to god or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

rubadub wrote:
    (but then the likes of pet shop boys "always on my mind" which disgracefully beat "fairytale of new york" to being a xmas no.1

whats disgraceful about a good song getting to number 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What about that East 17 song, stay another day. The video is real christmassy, but the songs itself isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

That one that Gary Jules covered went to No.1 for Christmas in 2003, Mad World by Tears for Fears, is on a few Christmas CDs I have looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What about that East 17 song, stay another day. The video is real christmassy, but the songs itself isn't.
    Of course its about Christmas ya big ninny! The song was written by Tony about his girlfriend who left him on Christmas day.

He wrote it at Christmas time, she was called Noelle and its got Christmas bells in it. Apart from calling it The Christmas Song, you couldn't get any more Christmassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Pighead wrote:
    Of course its about Christmas ya big ninny! The song was written by Tony about his girlfriend who left him on Christmas day.

He wrote it at Christmas time, she was called Noelle and its got Christmas bells in it. Apart from calling it The Christmas Song, you couldn't get any more Christmassy.

Pigheads right,as long as there a few christmas bells then its a christmas song.
    Spice girls 'two become one' is on alot of xmas albums but it has christams bells so passes the xmas test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Pighead wrote:

Ooooooooppsssss:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Erm, there is a music forum, you realise?

Erm, there is a music forum, you realise?
    Don't think that post belongs here buddy, take it to Feedback Karl.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote:
    Don't think that post belongs here buddy, take it to Feedback Karl.

Oh right, didn't realise threads about music don't belong in the music forum. Silly me. :o

Oh right, didn't realise threads about music don't belong in the music forum. Silly me. :o
    No problem buddy, Pighead can even see where your coming from but then again rules are rules and it is Friday evening so we'll just leave it at that. Talk soon.

Ok. ;)

Ah ha! Finally its moved. Pighead and Karl get their way again.
    Some call us bullies, I call us "The Ones Who Are Usually Right"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Anything for you Pighead, if it makes you happy then I am happy. :)

hugz

G.I Ruu xxxx

Ruu wrote:
    Anything for you Pighead, if it makes you happy then I am happy. :)

hugz

G.I Ruu xxxx
    Aww shucks, right back at ya Ruu.xxxxx
    Wary of the fact the thread is veering slightly off topic Pighead walks off singing "Have yourself a gay old Christmas"

Can I get some of this hawt action?

I think the weirdest Christmas number one has to be Stan by Eminem. Nothing says christmas more than a song about a deranged fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

There are quite a few "Classic" Christmas songs that contain no mention of Christmas at all

Frosty the Snow Man
    Sleigh Ride
    Winter Wonder Land
    Jingle Bells
    Jingle Bell Rock
    Let It Snow
    Baby It's Cold Outside

and one not so classic "A Winters Tale"

Baby It's Cold Outside
    I never would have considered that to be christmassy either, its just about some lad trying to get a ride.

• Advertisement

but none of that list i posted rubadub actually mention christmas, not one word about it, and yet they are christmas favourites, madness

but none of that list i posted rubadub actually mention christmas, not one word about it, and yet they are christmas favourites, madness
    True, but most of them are at least winter related and sort of infer santa or christmas, it is more the fact they are jingely, and "as gay as christmas".

I think they could also be "politically correct" christmas songs, like how they do not mention christmas in the states, it is always "this holiday season", "happy holidays" etc.

That cold outside seems christmassy again because of the video, I think cerys matthews was in a little santa dress in it, and it is lighthearted like most xmas songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Jona Lewie's 'Stop the Cavalry', while mentioning Christmas, was never supposed to be a christmas song.

I realise that's the complete opposite of the thread, but hey, it's all I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

noby wrote:
    Jona Lewie's 'Stop the Cavalry', while mentioning Christmas, was never supposed to be a christmas song.

I realise that's the complete opposite of the thread, but hey, it's all I got.
    Sleigh bells though, that makes it an automatic Christmas choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

blastman wrote:
    Sleigh bells though, that makes it an automatic Christmas choice.
    and church bells tbh...

The Spice Girls had 3 Christmas No. 1's in a row from 1996 to 1998 - with 2 Become 1, Too Much and Goodbye - none of which were particularly 'Christmassy'.

I read the other day that Wham's 'Last Christmas' was originally called 'Last Easter' (what a shippy title!) but the record company changed it and Christmas-afied it. Weird!

rubadub wrote:
    True, but most of them are at least winter related and sort of infer santa or christmas, it is more the fact they are jingely, and "as gay as christmas".

I think they could also be "politically correct" christmas songs, like how they do not mention christmas in the states, it is always "this holiday season", "happy holidays" etc.

That cold outside seems christmassy again because of the video, I think cerys matthews was in a little santa dress in it, and it is lighthearted like most xmas songs.
    it was considered christmassy long before tom jones and cerys matthews did it, by far the most well known and popular version is Dean Martin, they used the Matt Monroe version to end the two Die Hard Movies which were set at Christmas. but it was weirdly considered christmassy for years bizarely.

however there are absolutely no mentions of christmas or santa or the holidays in any of those songs, yeah sure they are winter based but personally i think it'spushing it a bit
    the PC angle doesn't really hold much water for me, Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland had big hits with "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" Nat King Cole and less famously Sammy Davis Jr recorded "The Christmas song" and sammy also did "The Christmas Waltz" whats remarkable about that is that Sammy Davis Jr was Jewish, as was the man who wrote "White Christmas" Irving Berlin. i reckon the only real reason for the songs is money, and lots of it, those songs must have made a fortune when released.

Advertisement