Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frost and Ice

Options
  • 06-02-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Ok, so this probably sounds like a dumb question but could someone explain to me the difference between frost and ice? If the weather reports say it's going to be a frosty night, does that mean the roads will be slippy in the morning? The last few days the roads have been fine but it's been below zero temps at night, I'm thinking that because it's been so dry the roads have been free of ice so my logic tells me that frost is the air freezing and ice is, of course, frozen water, hence if it's been wet the roads would be slippy.

And if you could explain it in laymens terms that would be even better, I am not scientifically minded....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

I think frost is ice that forms on something that's surface temperature is lower than the dew point, so that the moisture in the air condenses and freezes

Whereas when they say ice, it's from existing surface water that has frozen, but I'm open to correction.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think frost is ice that forms on something that's surface temperature is lower than the dew point, so that the moisture in the air condenses and freezes

Whereas when they say ice, it's from existing surface water that has frozen, but I'm open to correction.

I think that's a pretty good/accurate laymans explanation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The way I see it is that ice is water whereas frost is moisture in the air and thus on surfaces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Graces7 wrote:
    The way I see it is that ice is water whereas frost is moisture in the air and thus on surfaces

That's how I've always thought of it but I wasn't sure if it was right!

Advertisement