Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Winter 2011/12

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rumble of thunder West/SW of Castlebar in past 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Big rumble followed by big hail shower! Great start to the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Did I see lighting tonight where I'm at? Blue flash in the sky, a few of us seen it :)

Happy New Year to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Did I see lighting tonight where I'm at? Blue flash in the sky, a few of us seen it :)

Happy New Year to you all :)

Possibly, us lot in Mayo were treated to a mother nature fireworks display last night around midnight. One clap of thunder made the house shudder here, really rattled down the chimney!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

couple of strikes, surprised no on mentioned already a strike in dublin?

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Must of been drowned out by the wind and rain! ha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Fair amount of strikes out there according to that sferic..this one shows no strikes? What gives?

http://www.pjbartlett.co.uk/Sferics.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

That one is showing the past hour, the Icelandic one shows the full week

Harps wrote: »
    That one is showing the past hour, the Icelandic one shows the full week

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

That link is the same Icelandic one but it shows strikes in the last 24 hours rather than a messy week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

A huge rumble of thunder (that woke me up) and a flash of lightning here in the past 15 minutes or so. First time I've witnessed either in a while :)

• Advertisement

sf_na_1d.gif?

Some amount of strikes over germany in the last 24 hours!

And good few in the North West.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some amount of strikes over germany in the last 24 hours!

They had quite a bit of thunder snow earlier. http://www.xcweather.co.uk/DE/observations

The lucky duckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen a flash of lightning here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Some sparks showing up!!

sf_na_1d.gif?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Does anyone notice that for some reason all previous posts containing snapshots of the lightning radar show up the most recent post snapshot.
    e.g. tylercollins post at the top of the page is showing the same image as hotwhiskeys now.
    Strange.

While keeping an eye out for the northern lights I seen a few more flashes since.
    Here they are.
    mI9Mf.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Was also out on northern lights patrol and saw 2 shooting stars and thought l saw lightning also.
    What a shame last nights weather wasnt like tonights.
    Is it not weird seeing lightning on such a clear night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

R
    Was also out on northern lights patrol and saw 2 shooting stars and thought l saw lightning also.
    What a shame last nights weather wasnt like tonights.
    Is it not weird seeing lightning on such a clear night?

Not really, you can probably see the flashes from a longer distance because it is so clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

There was an unusually long rumble of thunder about half an hour ago here in Donegal. Lasted about 25 / 30 seconds didn't see any lightening.

Assumed you were talking about the unusual rumble in Letterkenny but Senegal :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Assumed you were talking about the unusual rumble in Letterkenny but Senegal :confused:

Yeah thats the one, auto correct on my phone made it Senegal.... close enough I guess... seems to be confirmed as thunder now :)

Thought so :pac:

See my post on the Donegal thread, no thunder within 50 miles of Letterkenny so can't imagine that was the cause. The plot thickens!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Facebook etc reports that it felt like a tremor in a large area from buncrana south. No tremor and no lightening recorded so guess it was just thunder.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Facebook etc reports that it felt like a tremor in a large area from buncrana south. No tremor and no lightening recorded so guess it was just thunder.

Twas an earthquake :eek: 2.2 it measured....

Slide2.jpg

Advertisement