Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

redmondite revisionism...

Options
  • 24-01-2011 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this site and don't mean to continue in a carping vein, but I was gobsmacked by this article on the front page of the Irish Times' Review section last Saturday.

This is the intro and first paragraph:

'Fianna Fáil members feel cornered, and fear their party will not survive as a major power in Irish life, writes THOMAS McCARTHY , the poet and longtime chronicler of the Soldiers of Destiny

WE HAVE REACHED the year of undoing: not a year of triumph like 1932 or 1977 but a year of despair like 1948 or 1973. So my cousin tells me as we walk the country miles between Cappoquin, a Fenian town of poets, and Lismore, a Redmondite town since 1641.'

and later on in the article, the fine ex-pat writer Maeve Brennan is linked, bizarrely, to Fianna Fail

'The middle class may selfishly forget, but they’ve had good years under Fianna Fáil. Think of the serene and prosperous quiet of the late Lemass era, or even those first years under Bertie’s plastering team. Although those years could now be seen as a gift bequeathed to the nation by Dick Spring and Ruairí Quinn.

Those were the years, aeons each of nearly 16 years in power, when a second grand layer of society was grafted on to the working class and small proprietors who celebrated Dev. This grand layer was a super-Dub layer, denizens of Gonzaga and Blackrock and their wider white-collar circle who endured the political embarrassment of Fine Gael educators at University College Dublin in order to get a start on the professional ladder.

This Fianna Fáil layer of quite elegant persons, indeed dapper dressers, produced ministers and gifted writers such as Maeve Brennan and Máire Mhac an tSaoí: hardly a van driver in sight, apart from one or two hired white vans.'

Any thoughts?

Link to full article here

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0122/1224288068195.html

Advertisement