Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get out of my parking spot

Options
  • 17-08-2005 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure whether to put this under accomodation or motors...

The owner of the space next to mine in a private apartment complex is partly parked in my space, enough to prevent me from parking (whoever it is just can't park properly). Management company doesn't know who owns the space, he's been there unmoved for over a month and notes on the windscreen aren't being read - no idea where the owner is, but it is a 05 car and not some abandoned banger.

Any ideas what I can do to have him removed - would this be any different than if someone parked in the driveway of a private house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

AS a last resort you could get some mates and bounce the car out of the space. It won't do any damage but I wouldn't do it near a wall for fear of pining somebody.
    A locksmith might open it too, they are meant to check who owns the car but they might not check or even do it if they know what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

get the car towed, he is blocking your private parking space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Gilgamesh wrote:
    get the car towed, he is blocking your private parking space

Unfortunately if you do this you will have to pay for it (quite expensive) and i doubt if anyone will tow it for you as it is parked legally. The owner will probably take you to court. If they live there they are not parked illegally and are entitled to be there. Police wont do anything as it is on private property so its a tough one. I'd say get a few mates to bounce the car as suggested but dont damage it of course. Its probably an old dear who cant park properly. Leave a note explaining the situation.

One thing you could do if you are CERTAIN that no one is coming back for it, take off the license plates. Then call the police and they will take it away. But of course this would be a criminal act if the person was to come back looking for it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the car has been sitting there for a month unmoved- get the management company to report it as abondoned. The Gardai can run a trace on the car and contact the owner. It might be an idea to suggest the management company charge for the parking there- we charge 100 Euro per day or part thereof for abondoned vehicles....

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

My two cents.....Report it to the boys in blue. Isn't there something about gangs stealing cars (to order) and hiding them in underground/private car parks until they are ready to sell the vehicle. They watch the car in case there is a tracking device installed and if nobody goes near the car after a certain time they know it's not being monitored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hmmm wrote:
    Management company doesn't know who owns the space
    If they are allocated spaces, how come they don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I remember this happened in our apartment building once. Someone in the building had a friend staying from abroad. They got a rental car at the airport, but the eegit forgot to leave it back when he was leaving, so it was sitting in someones space for weeks!!!

Could be something like that, but also the 'steal to order' hiding could be the thing as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Victor wrote:
    If they are allocated spaces, how come they don't know?
    I wish I knew - add it to the list of management company gripes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

hmmm wrote:
    I wish I knew - add it to the list of management company gripes :)

Even if the management company dont know who ownes the apartment, they know which apartment it belongs to. Get the apt # and put a letter in their post box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I remember this happened in our apartment building once. Someone in the building had a friend staying from abroad. They got a rental car at the airport, but the eegit forgot to leave it back when he was leaving, so it was sitting in someones space for weeks!!!

That's absolutely brilliant, did you hear what happened to the car???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

That's absolutely brilliant, did you hear what happened to the car???
    There was a sticker of the rental company on the back window, so the guy who owned the spot rang their office and gave them the reg and they said it was theirs alright... they picked it up a few days later...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

park behind it and block it in - unless you have a really long car you should be able to park in such a way that it just blocks the 2 spaces. That way when they do come to move their car they'll have to come and find you and you can give them a bollocking.

loyatemu wrote:
    park behind it and block it in
    Blocking someone in allows them to use reasonable force to get their car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Victor wrote:
    What does reasonable force entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Victor wrote:
    See if you can put your car in such a way that the other car is blocking your car.

WizZard wrote:
    I was about to ask the same question......
    Surely it does not extend to damaging of private property.
    Given that we are dealing with inanimate objects, force must mean some manner of either moving their car, or causing it to be moved in order to move your own car?
    Force of a personal nature- against the owner, is common assault and would have you up on a section 12 in no time flat.

WizZard wrote:
    The force a reasonable man would use to achieve a legitimate aim. For example the force necessary to tow your vehicle out of the way or potentially the force to push your car out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Our management company (which we own and run) sends letters to people. I would be inclined to hassle and annoy the management company. They are not doing their job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we had something similar where we are. we have a caretaker who does all the day to day stuff in the block, and he got hold of the garda and told them it was abandoned and gave them the plates. they then arranged for it to be towed to a compound and the last registered owner was informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 resassoc

Tracing the owner of car parking spot or indeed an apartment can be done quite easily if you take some time and effort and also if the property is registered with the Land Registry.

Have a look at your folio which will identify the freehold property from which your property was carved out of. Then take yourself down to the relevant land registry office. Ask to inspect the folio from which your property was carved. If it is an apartment, it will contain the plans for the entire property including the car parking spots. Cross reference the maps with folios that have been sold. Have a look then at the up to date folios of the properties that have been sold. Tadaaa! a little work and you have tracked down the owner

Declan
    www.resassoc.com
    www.tramyard.com

• Advertisement

resassoc wrote:
    Tracing the owner of car parking spot or indeed an apartment can be done quite easily if you take some time and effort and also if the property is registered with the Land Registry.

Perhaps that may be the case- but what is increasingly common are situations where the car-park and other common areas are vested in the management company, rather than allocated to specific properties (as is the case in 4 developments involving in excess of 200 properties in Lucan, and another 2 developments of about 60 properties in Celbridge that I am personally aware of). If you are interested I can e-mail you photographs of some of the car-park problems they are encountering...... (in one case a 68 seater coach was abondoned in a complex for a week by its owner who followed a resident into the complex, while the owner went on holidays for a week).

The other issue is- re tracing the owner of a property......
    Often, and more increasingly- the owner may have no idea whatsoever, who their tenant is. In particular areas (large swathes of West Dublin) apartment complex owners have been cajolled by the Eastern Health Board Executive, to allocate properties to them- often offering them a guaranteed income above the current going rate, irrespective of occupancy. This has lead to some situations where even moderate sized complexes are being abondoned by owners to the likes of the health board.

An example of this is the complex I am in at the moment- it has reached the stage where there are only 3 owner occupiers out of 24 left- and the Eastern Health has even rented a 1 bed apartment and converted it into office space for themselves to administer their ill gotten gains (without the permission of the management company or the local authority......). This is on main Street Lucan village btw......

It all depends on a lot of different factors- its impossible to administer a one size fits all approach to all situations- while the suggestions you are giving may be helpful in some situations in other situations all they will do is waste 15 quid for people doing pointless folio searches......

Myself..... I've had it with apartment and shared area living...... If anyone is interested in a nice 3 bed townhouse in Lucan village contact me offlist please....... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If anyone is interested in a nice 3 bed townhouse in Lucan village contact me offlist please.......

yeah, you've really sold it to me there...

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

use a trolley jack (one on wheels), jack up from the center of the rear of the car. When up enough so the wheels are about an inch or two from the ground you can (not easily -- need two people) push the jack so the car moves over the direction you are pushing. Do the same on the front. I have done this before and it works ok. Should not set off alarm but if it does maybe someone else will help your complaining to the cops...
    good luck

Advertisement