Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject to planning permission steps

Options
  • 23-09-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am sale agreed on a property that is being sold subject to planning permission.What are the steps in the buying process ?

the estate agent is asking for booking deposit and solicitor details. should I hire an architect to have a look before I get a solicitor involved ? I think getting the planning permission will be tough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

it would also be great if anyone could pm details of architect/solicitor in wicklow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Zenify wrote: »
    Hi

I am sale agreed on a property that is being sold subject to planning permission.What are the steps in the buying process ?

the estate agent is asking for booking deposit and solicitor details. should I hire an architect to have a look before I get a solicitor involved ? I think getting the planning permission will be tough.

The property obviously had some outstanding planning issues.
    I assume the owner has lodged a retention permission.
    Once this is granted (hopefully) then the sale can proceed.

Wait until your survey and get the surveyor to view the granted permission against what’s on the ground and compare.
    The vendor will need to supply opinions on compliance with planning and building regs anyway.

it is just an old derelict cottage, there has been no planning permission applications. it has been left empty for a few years.

on the for sale ad it says "Subject to planning permission for fully renovated and extended dwelling".

I assume that means that the sale is on the condition of the buyer getting planning permission ?

it is just an old derelict cottage, there has been no planning permission applications. it has been left empty for a few years.

on the for sale ad it says "Subject to planning permission for fully renovated and extended dwelling".

I assume that means that the sale is on the condition of the buyer getting planning permission ?

That’s different then.
    You are buying a derelict cottage.
    Check your mortgage provider will release funds for this.
    You will then require planning to reinstate its use as a dwelling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

wicklow had alocal need only policy for years
    were you could not get planning if you were not local but hundreds of houses get built by developers

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30977228.html

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    were you could not get planning if you were not local but hundreds of houses get built by developers

Post which shows a complete lack of understand of the whole point of "local need "

Gumbo wrote: »
    That’s different then.
    You are buying a derelict cottage.
    Check your mortgage provider will release funds for this.
    You will then require planning to reinstate its use as a dwelling.

the estate agent said you could move into it as is because it has a roof. I have cash so don't need a mortgage.

is my next step to hire an architect to look at it and confirm planning situation ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Estate agent is talking through his behind. It’s either derelict or habitable. Which is it? As above, confirm with local arch Re local need criteria Before committing cash.

the estate agent said you could move into it as is because it has a roof. I have cash so don't need a mortgage.

is my next step to hire an architect to look at it and confirm planning situation ?

Yes. 100%. If you can move straight in then why sell subject to planning?
    Do not take the EA word on the planning status.

Not sure if this is trolling, but just to be clear, this the construction and planning forum, we offer advice to the likes of the OP. if the state of Ireland’s planning system is something you’d like to discuss, try the politics forum.

• Advertisement

does the phrase "subject to planning permission for extended dwelling etc." mean that the sale is based on the buyer getting planning permission ? and if planning is not granted i can pull out?

BryanF wrote: »
    Estate agent is talking through his behind. It’s either derelict or habitable. Which is it? As above, confirm with local arch Re local need criteria Before committing cash.

sorry I used the word derelict. the for sale ad does not. I was just trying to say that its in a bit of a state.

does the phrase "subject to planning permission for extended dwelling etc." mean that the sale is based on the buyer getting planning permission ? and if planning is not granted i can pull out?
    It all really depends - subject to planning permission for an extension is very different to subject to planning permission to make it habitable.

I think you have jumped ahead a bit too far - the only people who can answer these are a solicitor and planning professional, none of us can tell you what they understand.

It is all down to whatever you agree.

sorry I used the word derelict. the for sale ad does not. I was just trying to say that its in a bit of a state.

Has the house an esb connection? Working septic tank, that’s listed with council?

Has the house an esb connection? Working septic tank, that’s listed with council?

has a septic tank, don't know if it's registered. has mains water, does not have esb

Best to get a local arch/eng/planning consultant to assess the situation and have conversation with planning dept.

Best to get a local arch/eng/planning consultant to assess the situation and have conversation with planning dept.

talked to an architect today. They initially said local needs only for something like this but they would double check with planning authority. They called back far more positive after discussing with planners saying as long as we didn't demolish the original structure it would not be local needs.

Architect said next step now is to visit the site. I'll keep you posted here. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That article is nothing to do with local needs. And local needs applies to specific areas, not an entire county. You need to check out the County Development Plan.

talked to an architect today. They initially said local needs only for something like this but they would double check with planning authority. They called back far more positive after discussing with planners saying as long as we didn't demolish the original structure it would not be local needs.

Architect said next step now is to visit the site. I'll keep you posted here. thanks

Excellent. Best of luck.

Advertisement