Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Bedwetter" vocal style? When did it become a thing?

Options
  • 01-07-2020 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

A bit tongue in cheek, but anyone remember when the term "bedwetter" music started?
    At the moment, there seems to be a style of singing that's everywhere, from pop music to indie music. Very popular in Ireland, but overseas as well.
    I think it's more the style of singing, that sounds like a "tortured man" "tortured woman", weak kind of vocals? (I'm no great shakes of a singer myself...)

It's not that the singers are weak singers, they seem to be adopting this style.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Do you have any examples of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Coldplay.

Think it started when Noel Gallagher referred to them/Chris Martin as bed wetter music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I know what you mean, the odd time i'm home and turn on the radio I hear it. Picture This and Dermot Kennedy as examples?
    A sort of strained earnestness I'd say.

I think Mumford and Sons may have a case to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

cashback wrote: »
    I know what you mean, the odd time i'm home and turn on the radio I hear it. Picture This and Dermot Kennedy as examples?
    A sort of strained earnestness I'd say.

I think Mumford and Sons may have a case to answer.

All of the above yes! I call it bleating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Granadino wrote: »
    A bit tongue in cheek, but anyone remember when the term "bedwetter" music started?
    At the moment, there seems to be a style of singing that's everywhere, from pop music to indie music. Very popular in Ireland, but overseas as well.
    I think it's more the style of singing, that sounds like a "tortured man" "tortured woman", weak kind of vocals? (I'm no great shakes of a singer myself...)

It's not that the singers are weak singers, they seem to be adopting this style.

This post make absolutely no sense.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of that fat ginger lad.. Gavin maybe?..is that kind of what you're thinking?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Kind of everything shouted. Dermot Kennedy, Lewis Capaldi, Rag and Bone man. Pitch mistaken for talent. I think it's more contemporary than Coldplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Gavin James too, yes. For further examples tune to Today FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Weird term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Dermot Kennedy is awful and horribly overexposed.

And "outnumbered" and "somewhere" don't rhyme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement